Do you need a Wet Suit for 60ft in the Carribean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I replace a rash guard with situational awareness and exercise precision buoyancy control. :D No need to brush up against ANYTHING in the ocean.

I'm comfortable in just a rashguard and running capris down to the low 70s, but I definitely seem to be an exception. The rashguard is mostly for sun protection, and the capris just to make me feel less naked. However, after the ridiculous scuba tan I got on my last trip, I may be switching to full length tights. (Imagine tan tan tan from a few inches above the ankle to a couple inches below my knee, and white white white everywhere else. Very fashionable.) I make a point of not running into reefs, and I haven't gotten anything more than a mild itch from little bits floating in the water, though jellyfish do seem to seek me out. I managed to get a sting in a 7mm suit and hood -- I don't tuck my hood, and there was a tiny gap between hood and suit, and one got me. Then again, that was in the middle of a sea nettle party in 1-2ft vis plankton soup.

2 words.....Under Armour

Like others have said, you should be fine in a rash guard and swim trunks. I will be on the Aqua Cat in two weeks (4th of July week) and several of us won't even be carrying a wetsuit. Just less to pack and have to dry out and all of that.

When I was young, and I had good abs, I used to dive with nothing on top at all. If your dives are not too long nor too deep, it is pretty comfortable except perhaps in the dead of winter.

Nowadays I tend to wear a fullsuit year round for modesty and for battling with lobsters. But it can get pricklingly warm in shallow water, especially during the height of summer.

I replace a rash guard with situational awareness and exercise precision buoyancy control. :D No need to brush up against ANYTHING in the ocean.

I agree 100%. However, buoyancy doesn't help keep you away from those nasty little hydroids.

---------- Post added ----------

However, after the ridiculous scuba tan I got on my last trip, I may be switching to full length tights. (Imagine tan tan tan from a few inches above the ankle to a couple inches below my knee, and white white white everywhere else. Very fashionable.)

I hear the candy cane look is in this year.

I agree 100%. However, buoyancy doesn't help keep you away from those nasty little hydroids.
Situational awareness and neutral buoyancy do fine for me. The only issue that has caused me any problems was the Moon Jelly invasion here in Key Largo last year. I was towing a tired diver on the surface and one swam up my trunks. That wasn't fun, but it did not make put on any more protection either. When I am in the water I take notice about what's around me.

I do remember a dive in Venice Fl, when we had the dreaded orange Sea Nettles. Those guys hurt and I missed the memo that they were in abundance. I was the only one without "protection" and funny enough... I was the only one not stung at the end of the day. Why? Situational awareness... I had no false feelings of security down there and I kept a vigilant eye out for them. Yes, it was hard getting my eye back in after the dive, but it was well worth it! :D :D :D

For me, depends on how many dives I plan to do that day.

If I have unlimited shore diving available, it's normal for me to spend 6+ hours in the water and then do a night dive after dinner so a full 1.5mm or 3mm if the water is a bit cool. I bring both with me on trips.

Less dives a day? I may just wear board shorts and a rash guard.... there's no one answer for this, at least for me.

Situational awareness and neutral buoyancy do fine for me. The only issue that has caused me any problems was the Moon Jelly invasion here in Key Largo last year. I was towing a tired diver on the surface and one swam up my trunks. That wasn't fun, but it did not make put on any more protection either. When I am in the water I take notice about what's around me.

I do remember a dive in Venice Fl, when we had the dreaded orange Sea Nettles. Those guys hurt and I missed the memo that they were in abundance. I was the only one without "protection" and funny enough... I was the only one not stung at the end of the day. Why? Situational awareness... I had no false feelings of security down there and I kept a vigilant eye out for them. Yes, it was hard getting my eye back in after the dive, but it was well worth it! :D :D :D

And that right there is enough reason for me! LOL...... I have no problems avoiding jellys most of the time. We have quite a few of them down here. I have been stung once. I was shooting some video of a guy spear fishing. I was hovering over him shooting and all of a sudden felt that little bugger sting me across the top of the head. Turd.

Brrr, I always wear a 3mm full suit and have a thin skin top to add under the full suit between boat dives. Did over 25 dives the past few months in Cozumel and Grand Cayman and found this to make for some very comfortable dives. Course I am a girly girl... not built with the same "heaters" all you burly guys have.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom