Does the new Apex low profile valve leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

torbaydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
A friend of mine tried his new dry suit today and got totally soaked (made to measure) !
I noticed it has the apex low profile valve(I think it's the new design) I know the old type leaked when left fully open but does the new version do the same?
We inflated the suit on the beach after blocking the holes and didn't notice any obvious leaks!
I said if it's the valve you would probably just get a wet arm, but his boxer shorts and T-shirt were soaked!
I also suggested that perhaps the latex seals weren't completely flat on his skin!
Not a happy chappie!
Any suggestions welcome
thanks/Steve

Mine leaked on my new DUI suit (bought last fall). I replaced it with the SiTech and no more leaks.

The new exhaust valves are supposed to have grey inner parts as opposed to all black for previous ones to differentiate between the 'older' models. These new ones, apparently, have been modified to prevent the leakage, which seems to occur when the gasket fails to seal properly after purging/venting. They are also supposed to vent faster then the 'older' ones.

Not sure if they are better than the 'older' Apeks, but DUI is aware of the problem and has been working with Apeks in designing a better valve. FWIW, my wife's DUI doesn't leak a bit, but mine does (both Apeks LP) - I'm going to get mine replaced with the Si-Tech since they've always been reliable (AFAIK).

Yes it has got grey inner parts, so must be the new one!
PnL you say yours leaks is yours the new one or the old one ?
And do you get very wet or just a wet sleeve?
Thanks for replies/Steve

My new suit has an apex low profile shoulder dump.

Mine doesnt leak but it doesnt dump either and i have it open all the time on all dives.

Thats why i went for cuff dump:)

torbaydiver:
Yes it has got grey inner parts, so must be the new one!
PnL you say yours leaks is yours the new one or the old one ?
And do you get very wet or just a wet sleeve?
Thanks for replies/Steve

Our valves have the grey inners and was confirmed as the 'newer' ones which are supppsed to dump a lot faster than the older APEK exhaust valves but apparently they are not the 'newest and latest'. Mine leaked at the shoulder and when I doffed the suit there was also water on the left leg of my undergarment. According to DUI folk this is indicative of valve leakage. My wife has the same suit made at the same time but had NO leakage what so ever. Not really sure where the problem is, and this is the same problem that DUI and APEKs is apparently having since they are not able to reproduce the leakage consistently. But the 'newest and latest' valves, which we apparently do not have, are supposed to have addressed this by adding additional material around the gasket to prevent it from staying open. Indidently, DUI feels that the vent rate of the newer APEKs is now a non-issue since they are made to vent faster - I have no data to suggest how much faster, but they seem confident that the vent rate will no longer be an issue. They do admit, that they are baffled by the leakage and are working to figure it out. One suggestion is to have the valve closed a click or two, which apparently solves the problem for a lot of folks.

I'm not sure why some valves leak and others do not - it seems to me a quality control issue at the APEKs factory, but I don't know enough about these valves to suggest anything. DUI has been upfront with us in discussing these things and I have no reason to believe that they are supplying 'bad dump valves' to the public as was suggested by several posts on this board. I look forward to when this issue is resolved!

And I guess I misunderstood that all APEKs with grey inners are the 'newest and latest' valves since they recommended the 'newest and latest' after checking which valves was installed in our suits, and our suits have APEK valves with grey inners. Although I swear that was what I was told! :)

String:
My new suit has an apex low profile shoulder dump.

Mine doesnt leak but it doesnt dump either and i have it open all the time on all dives.

Thats why i went for cuff dump:)

hmm not much good then :)
I thought I recognised your username, see you on Yorkshire divers :wink:

Thanks PnL
I had the same problem on my dry suit and I sent the low-profile valve off to apex and asked them to exchange it for the high-profile valve which has been no trouble !
I will have to do the same with my mates valve !
Thanks/Steve

PnL:
Our valves have the grey inners and was confirmed as the 'newer' ones which are supppsed to dump a lot faster than the older APEK exhaust valves but apparently they are not the 'newest and latest'. Mine leaked at the shoulder and when I doffed the suit there was also water on the left leg of my undergarment. According to DUI folk this is indicative of valve leakage. My wife has the same suit made at the same time but had NO leakage what so ever. Not really sure where the problem is, and this is the same problem that DUI and APEKs is apparently having since they are not able to reproduce the leakage consistently. But the 'newest and latest' valves, which we apparently do not have, are supposed to have addressed this by adding additional material around the gasket to prevent it from staying open. Indidently, DUI feels that the vent rate of the newer APEKs is now a non-issue since they are made to vent faster - I have no data to suggest how much faster, but they seem confident that the vent rate will no longer be an issue. They do admit, that they are baffled by the leakage and are working to figure it out. One suggestion is to have the valve closed a click or two, which apparently solves the problem for a lot of folks.

I'm not sure why some valves leak and others do not - it seems to me a quality control issue at the APEKs factory, but I don't know enough about these valves to suggest anything. DUI has been upfront with us in discussing these things and I have no reason to believe that they are supplying 'bad dump valves' to the public as was suggested by several posts on this board. I look forward to when this issue is resolved!

And I guess I misunderstood that all APEKs with grey inners are the 'newest and latest' valves since they recommended the 'newest and latest' after checking which valves was installed in our suits, and our suits have APEK valves with grey inners. Although I swear that was what I was told! :)

torbaydiver:
hmm not much good then :)
I thought I recognised your username, see you on Yorkshire divers :wink:

Correct im the same person. Found lurking on various scuba and welsh rugby message forums as ive got nothing better to do :)

Ive decided to give my shoulder dump one last chance - looking to buy a support bandage that i can put over my upper arm just in case its the undersuit preventing it from dumping.

Si-Tech valves are meant to be far quicker and more effective dumping thatn Apex valves, especially Apex low profiles. Im reluctant to spend £40 to test one in case it still doesnt solve my problem though.

Back
Top Bottom