Donning Fins After Boat Exit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get the concern for safety and procedure, but we are in Advanced discussions not Basic. There are many times it wouldn't be advised, but in a benign situation, IMO, donning your fins in the water doesn't qualify as "stupidity beyond measure." Back flips off the platform in doubles with two slung bottles might qualify, but I would have to see him walk off the cruise ship to know for sure. :)

Last edited:
I've jumped off the platform into a cenote more than once with fins in hand and no mask on, but in that situation, there really are no variables. I'd be in a world of hurt if I didn't have an inflated wing and had failed to turn my gas on, but that would require that I have essentially skipped every single safety procedure I have, and that many omissions is unlikely.

I wouldn't want to do that off a boat, though. I've hit unexpected surface current more than once. And unlike in a cenote, in the ocean, it may be very difficult to see me if I sink and need assistance.

I don't like walking on the boat deck in fins, and only do it if the boat's procedures require it. I usually don at the gate or on the swimstep.

I....IMO, donning your fins in the water doesn't qualify as "stupidity beyond measure." Back flips off the platform in doubles with two slung bottles might qualify, but I would have to see him walk off the cruise ship to know for sure. :)

Yes it does.

No offense but you are from Missouri. I was born and raised in S Florida and have been in and around the ocean my whole life. The Ocean will bite you on the ass if you ever assume a "benign situation" while playing there.

But it always comes back to "control the controlables (sp?)". I cant control the ocean but I sure as hell can control what gear I enter the water with to give me the best chance of survival in a moments notice.

Yes it does.

No offense but you are from Missouri. I was born and raised in S Florida and have been in and around the ocean my whole life. The Ocean will bite you on the ass if you ever assume a "benign situation" while playing there.

But it always comes back to "control the controlables (sp?)". I cant control the ocean but I sure as hell can control what gear I enter the water with to give me the best chance of survival in a moments notice.

I currently live in Missouri, have lived on military bases around the world, near the ocean for many years of my life, and have a residence on Big Pine Key, so that really has nothing to do with the topic. You have your diving concerns and I have mine. It's a big ocean. I reserve comments like "stupidity beyond measure" for things that might make me not want to dive with another diver. If I saw an otherwise experienced, rational diver in a "benign" situation hop in and don his fins in the water, I would not immediately think " I don't want to dive with that guy!" IMO, I have been in plenty of situations it would be O.K. and I have been in plenty of situations where it would be ill advised. The OP asked a legit question and "stupidity" has nothing to do with it, IMO. :)

Wouldn't want to jump into any of the Great Lakes, St Clair River, St Lawrence River or Niagara River with no fins on either.

....If I saw an otherwise experienced, rational diver in a "benign" situation hop in and don his fins in the water, I would not immediately think " I don't want to dive with that guy!"

I see nothing "rational" about jumping in the water off a boat in full scuba gear without fins. If it was my buddy I would stop him and tell him to put on his fins, if he told me no, my response would be "check please". If it was not my buddy and I was on some cattle boat, I would just add it to my list of "You wont believe what I just saw".

.......The OP asked a legit question and "stupidity" has nothing to do with it,....

We can agree to disagree on this point.

Anyway, this topic has run its course since there is obviously two camps here:

1. Those that enter the water fully prepared to dive
2. Those that are not.

I've shared this before, but a few years ago in Malaysia (Sipadan Island) I jumped off the boat, did a front flip with a fin in each hand, mask on my face. I forget now exactly what happened but one fin got dropped... I quickly put the other on and chased after it with a half-flooded mask. Fortunately it stopped around 70-80 feet on the reef, else I don't think I could have caught it. OMS Slipstream fins sink freakin' fast! Fortunately I can clear my ears really fast most of the time.

Lesson learned....for sure.

I agree there are "obviously" two camps here...just not necessarily the two you listed. All good...happy diving :)

I see our own second coming of GI3 is at it again :wink:

With fins in-hand, I'm fully prepared to dive - I'm just not fully prepared to propel myself around while doing it should my DPV suddenly fail.

I'm not sure what you think's going to happen if you jump in the water with no fins: either you just pull them on and get on with managing an issue, or they're not going to be necessary to deal with the problem, or the situation has gone so totally sideways in the first few moments of the dive that fins are irrelevant.

If I have no gas and can't turn it on, and my wing fails, and I'm completely overweighted, and I cannot grab one of my 40+lb SMBs, and my DPV fails, and all my BO/deco gas has failed, and I lost/can't get my fins on...so what? If things go completely sideways, it's the work of a couple seconds to pull a buckle or a trilobite and extricate myself from the entire rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom