Dry suit and sinking feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know this is a stupid question but just want to ask to make sure, your not wearing gators or anything else that might restrict air flow into your feet are you?

I don't know that this solution is for everyone, but a buddy of mine recently solved his sinking feet issue by moving a few pounds from his belt to the TOP of his plate. He zip-tied a hard weight (little 1 pounders, and two lb weights would work as well but I would not want to go bigger than that) to the upper corners of his plate. Better from a balance standpoint, and more streamlined than using the XS pounces on the cam bands.

CompuDude:
I don't know that this solution is for everyone, but a buddy of mine recently solved his sinking feet issue by moving a few pounds from his belt to the TOP of his plate. He zip-tied a hard weight (little 1 pounders, and two lb weights would work as well but I would not want to go bigger than that) to the upper corners of his plate. Better from a balance standpoint, and more streamlined than using the XS pounces on the cam bands.

Not so sure if it's a better solution that the XS pouches. I haven't used them myself, but my gf did recently in Bonaire (s/t like a # in each on the upper cam band for trim). If you push the pockets into the plate, they sit under the wing, so there's no streamlining advantage to the zip tie method. That, and I'd think the pouches are a bit more secure than zip ties (which I've had break on me in the water; yup, the heavy duty ones).

Rainer:
Not so sure if it's a better solution that the XS pouches. I haven't used them myself, but my gf did recently in Bonaire (s/t like a # in each on the upper cam band for trim). If you push the pockets into the plate, they sit under the wing, so there's no streamlining advantage to the zip tie method. That, and I'd think the pouches are a bit more secure than zip ties (which I've had break on me in the water; yup, the heavy duty ones).
Um, Rainer, I helped your GF put those weight pouches on her rig just before your trip, so I know what you mean. She's actually using one of my XS pouches, since it was handy at the time! LOL

That said, for the smallest weights (1-2 pounders), the weight pouches are kinda floppy. They are designed to hold 5# weight max, so the little guys, especially the 1# weights, move around a lot. Frankly, I trust the ziptie (two, actually) more than the velcro in this particular situation, especially for a bag with rattling contents. Perhaps a good ol' caveline knot will add the reinforcement to eliminate that particular concern. :)

Secondly, money was an issue for him. He already had the weights and zipties, but to spend another $20 in weight pouches was annoying to him. IF he ever loses a weight, perhaps then he'll be easier to convince to move to a pouch, but frankly I don't really see that happening.

You are correct that there is not much streamlining advantage, although I do think the very small 1# weights probably are a smidgen more streamlined than the big (comparatively) pockets. More importantly, attaching the weights to the upper corners of the plate actually gets the weights several inches higher than attaching them to the cambands would be and thus delivers more "trim for the buck" as it were.

Meh. Like I said, not necessarily an ideal solution for anyone (nor are the XS pouches), but I think it is an option to consider.

LOL. I ended up giving her one of my poches, as she ended up bringing only one. I'm just saying, once that wing was on, the pouches don't slide around. They just stay up against the plate, with the wing tucked behind. Regardless, you're right, zip-ties are a cheaper option. I just know I had one break on the DR SMB pouch I had zip-tied to the bottom of my plate out at Anacapa, and ever since then, I've been a bit concerned about their benefit (lazyness has prevented me from re-rigging the pouch with bungee). Also absolutely right that the few inches differences might be meaningful. It's actually exactly what I almost tried doing in Bonaire, but realized I was fine with just the 2# weight belt and the 4.7# plate (though a tiny bit foot heavy, so make I will try getting that 2# to the top of the plate!). Definitely an option to consider.

Rainer:
LOL. I ended up giving her one of my poches, as she ended up bringing only one. I'm just saying, once that wing was on, the pouches don't slide around. They just stay up against the plate, with the wing tucked behind. Regardless, you're right, zip-ties are a cheaper option. I just know I had one break on the DR SMB pouch I had zip-tied to the bottom of my plate out at Anacapa, and ever since then, I've been a bit concerned about their benefit (lazyness has prevented me from re-rigging the pouch with bungee). Also absolutely right that the few inches differences might be meaningful. It's actually exactly what I almost tried doing in Bonaire, but realized I was fine with just the 2# weight belt and the 4.7# plate (though a tiny bit foot heavy, so make I will try getting that 2# to the top of the plate!). Definitely an option to consider.
Interesting, I see what you mean.

I have that same DR quick-draw sleeve on mine, tho I went with the SS sex bolts. Those move around quite a bit, though, and would dangle (torquing the ziptie further) if only one failed, so I can see that contributing to the risk. The small weights stay put quite well with only one zip tie, so the second is just gravy. I think I'll talk to my buddy about adding a cave line loop to reinforce, and that should pretty much put any failure potential to rest. :)

I'm going to go dream of dives with a 2# weight belt now... LOL

CompuDude:
I'm going to go dream of dives with a 2# weight belt now... LOL

Yeah, it was something else (we just hadn't done warm water diving, so it was a nice surprise). I even forgot the weightbelt altogether for one dive, and while I was a bit positive at the end, it was still quite doable. Having tried the 3mm in the pool before leaving, I now know I need no weight (other than the plate) in freshwater. Why do we dive cold water again? At least you guys have pretty things to look at. I haven't even seen a lobster in four months out here. Already planning the next trip...

I've tried just about everything except the weights around the neck. I may try them around the neck of my cylinder.

When I frog kick its not a problem, but if I stop and change orientation, the air floods out of my legs and I have to put it back in my legs. Not difficult, just annoying.

I dive with an integrated Zeagle BC which lets me move the BC around during the dive to tweak, but the amount of movement isn't enough to move the weight far enough to be effective. The old leverage problem, my feet have more leverage around my center of mass than my weight belt does.

Are you keeping your legs bent up above your torso even when at rest? If so, the air cannot leak out of the feet (physically impossible). Have someone double check your stationary trim. Might be a good place to start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom