Dry Suit Confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I must admit I'm impressed with the quality as well. I just have this love/hate relationship with it. I think its an excellent suit, i just wish i could dress myself - i feel like a kid again (man, how many years ago was that!). That was most of the reason i bought it as opposed to a rear entry and i still need help with the zipper. So, from now on rear entry only.

I think I'm not a fan of the way you have to get your head under it as well. Not having any experience with the rear entry types though, i really have nothing to compare it with. But from my vantage point, i do get the sense by watching other people the other suits seem a bit easier in that regard too.

But, as I said, its been a very dry set of dives on it. Only once had an issue and that was because the neck seal burped so i can't blame the suit for that one. But it was a chilly lesson to learn.

Originally posted by large_diver
Not able to help you much.....but interested in hearing what you like/didn't like about the DUI FLX 50/50.

large_diver,

Overall the 50/50 was very nicely constructed. It had good seams and was easy to don with the diagonal front zippers. Since it has a crushed neoprene bottom, though, it was heavy. And since my gear already weighs more than I do, that's a problem. I also had a difficult time attaching and removing the low pressure hose. That could have been a function of just that particular suit, not all 50/50's; but my instructor had difficulty with it also, so it wasn't just my personal shortcoming. Further, the suit I was wearing was too big for me, so I had to fold up the "socks" and stuff them into the rock boots, which wasn't too comfortable. The latex wrist seals were, like most dry suits, exposed and not as strong as on Mobby's, so I felt I had to be really careful. At times it was hard to fish out the suspenders from inside the suit and occasionally I had to step back out, because they were wrapped around my leg. So not any major bad points, just some quirks for me. I had an easier time with the controls on the Mobby's suits. The inflator button pushes to the side, so you're not jamming the valve directly into your chest, which I guess is more a "girl" problem, anyway.

Hiya CavernQT! Have a look at the Andy's line of suits too. I have the DS3 which is a self donning suit with the zipper accross the chest. I can don it myself though sometimes I get lazy & ask for help with the last inch or two.

-kate

Originally posted by CavernQT
The latex wrist seals were, like most dry suits, exposed and not as strong as on Mobby's, so I felt I had to be really careful.

Aren't those seals something? I bet I've witnessed the owner of my LDS ram his finger nail into them as hard as he can a hundred times, of course while pitching the suit to a customer, and never a scratch.

I'm currently in the same boat as you, a quality drysuit is my next major purchase. I'm also torn between the DUI and the Mobby's. My dealer pushes the Mobby's but sells them both. I personally don't think you'll go wrong with either.

Like it alot. It's one of the few that will stretch a little if you're in a bind. Unlike most other trilams. Thick seals at the wrist and neck too. And I mean thick. I have a latex hood and Use Bare's new back zip dry hood over it. Haven't gotten cold yet and been in 35 degree water with it. Use either a bare Polar extreme under suit or a DUI 400 gram thinsulate dry suit. Also some poly sweats. Depending on water temp I add and subtract clothes. Sometimes just the sweats. Boot's are a neoprene that's covered in rubber. Very comfy. The big reason I picked it was the extra stretch in the material and I didn't want a Neo suit. Valves work wonderfully.
Final test. If it was stolen I'd buy another. Even over a DUI. I do like there CLx 450 thou. Just like the stretch in the Gates more.:D :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom