Dry suit moisture, possible backflow.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dschulte:
Probably an obvious question, but here it goes. I was trying out a new dry suit today, just upgraded to a TriLam. I was diving to 80' feet in 48° water for one hour, so I am sure that none of the seals leaked, would have felt that tickle. At the end of my dive the inside of my suit was damp. I know that I was a little underweighted and had to completely empty the suit for the 15’ safety stop. The question is could I have back flowed through the arm dump valve, just like you do in a BC? Has anyone experienced this before? I can not believe that the seals leaked, the dampness was not isolated. Air temperature was 56°, with no rain. I am diving the suit again tomorrow. I have it turned inside out to dry. I had some minor leaks in the past from a bad seal but nothing like this. I never felt the cold, just noticed the color difference in places on the inner liner of the suit and some dampness on the exterior of my undergarment, again not isolated to one spot, but large sections of back chest and legs.
Thanks in advance for feedback and ideas.
:monkeydan

Dave, as I've said, Peeing in a drysuit without a pee valve is not adviseable :rofl3: (just joking)

I have the Merino Evolution undergarment, and in 50F water, I always sweat. Even in our current high 30s, there's usually a bit of moisture after an hour dive. It's likely just sweat.

Hehe, I love layering. If the inside layer (above the wicking long johns) is damp, I was sweating. If the outermost layer is damp, it's condensation. If it's wet through, check for a leak.

(Incidentally, the only time I had water come in my shoulder dump is when I was doing the press-the-valve quick dump. Dumping normally, I've never had a wet arm.)

diveprof:
Dave, as I've said, Peeing in a drysuit without a pee valve is not adviseable :rofl3: (just joking)

This is why you never DIY a pee valve!:mooner:
:monkeydan

It sounds like the moisture that you are seeing is from perspiration or condensation. I have the same thing with my drysuit. It seems the more I sweat before the dive the more moisture that I see in the suit when I remove it. A good undergarmet and underarmor keep me high and dry throughout the dive.

Back
Top Bottom