Dry Suit - now I get it...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You never have enough dive gear....

Jim...

The one thing with buying gear is my wife laughs at my rationalization of all my purchases she doesn't care that I spend as long as bills are paid and theirs food in our tummys

The one thing with buying gear is my wife laughs at my rationalization of all my purchases she doesn't care that I spend as long as bills are paid and theirs food in our tummys
Great wife you got! Any chance she has a single sister?

Naw sorry she is an only child I don't even have to ask permission to go diving. Anytime I ask she says go I'm not gonna stop you from doing something you love
She is also willing to go on a dive vacation with me next year with the understanding that she would be alone till the afternoon

O don't worry I do
She loves all the things I do for her kids as well last fall I made them a soccer net that measure 6 feet high by 12 feet wide and this winter I took all the snow and made a hill so they could toboggan I do all kinds of things with them.
The amazing thing is we've been seeing each other for 1.5 years now and have never had a fight or disagreement we are truly in love and would do anything g for one another

It goes both ways... My wife has always been 100% supportive of me and all the things I wanted to do... My daughter lives in Houston, TX and just bought a house with a apartment in the back ... We have two small grandkids from her and her husband... I told her I have no problem with her taking a year off from work and go live in Houston to play Grandma... She leaves after our return from Bonaire in march... It feels good to give this gift to her and my daughter and of course the grandkids... Me, I'll somehow make do solo diving the cold lakes of Maine till her return...

Jim...

My wife was cool before we had a baby, said she'd still be cool after, it was a lie.

I dive, when I'm allowed, dry in winter which is basically 8 months of the year, I use Kubi dry gloves, highly recomended, not one leak ever.

Last edited:
So I never thought I would dive in with a dry suit. But - my son needed a new wet suit - he is in high school and growing out of them before he can wear them out... So my solution was to give him my wet suit and buy a dry suit...

The only negative that I can think of is that I am almost doubling my lead to stay down. Anyway - did a dive today and it was a blast - low tide - not my favorite time to dive - but 4 to 5 foot viz which is not bad.

Started at Maclearie but low tide was so low it was about 2 feet below the last step - I figured I may not get back out. So I headed over to the L-St boat ramp. Dove solo with my new dry suit. Had to get out once for more weight but after that it worked out great. My body and feet were great - but my wet gloves were a bit cold.
Water was 41 degrees - viz was about 4 feet - no one else in the water. Ended up using 42 lbs of weight but it was shallow and I attribute it to being the first time in the water with my new dry suit - I hope to be able to shed some of it but I will take my time.
I am looking forward to extending my season - and know I get why folks dive dry... But to be honest I like the water and the feel of it - I just dont like being cold.
:)

I said for a few years that I preferred wet and that I didnt want the hassle of a drysuit. I dive in NJ. I had one freezing cold dive on the city of athens.....came home and ordered a drysuit. Since I started diving dry - I now prefer to be dry even in warm water. I recently went to florida and brought my drysuit in warm water!

Its funny - I used to prefer wet and now I almost never dive wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom