Drysuit for a tall, thin diver - custom or stock ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stargazer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am about 6'1'' and 160 lbs, and found that I had to get a wetsuit custom made to avoid lots of extra neoprene in the middle. Now I am planning to get a drysuit. Looking in particular at Diving Concepts UltraFlex, DUI TLS350, and Bare ATR-HD. The DUI dealer says a standard large suit will fit me just fine. The Diving Concepts dealer says I need to go custom. The Bare dealer was off diving and didn't answer - will try them again tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with these suits to give some advice whether I should go stock or custom ? I'm diving in the Northeast for what it's worth.

The Diving Concepts suits are awesome, and IMHO, the best suit on the market. The premium on custom vs. stock is rather minimal - probably less than $200. Go for it - you don't want to be swimming around inside a Hefty bag, do you?

Just a thought - does the DUI dealer have a stock Large in stock that he's trying to sell you?

The DUI dealer seemed up front, and told me I could try on a rental suit to see if I liked it. Price for the TLS350 was about $1500. The Diving Concepts dealer estimated their suit would be around $1800....I'm waiting for the quote and delivery time before deciding...

Howdy Skinny, Let me first thank you for your company, us trim and slim types need to stick together. I'm also 6-1, but about 175-180, mostly in the gut, long arms and legs. A real pain to buy clothes, wetsuits and drysuits! I've checked out the DUI TLS 350 and thought the large, while tall enough was still a little baggy for my tastes and the arms were just a little too short. A custom fit would be a better fit for me. I think a stock large would really be baggy on you. I've pretty much decided to go with a custom from DC because it is a true custom made suit, from the ground up, and will probably be a trimmer fit then the custom DUI. If a little luck shines my way I may even be able to get measured by the person who designed the Ultraflex for DC, in which case I will get the tech/cave cut. Cost wise the DC suit will be less expensive then the DUI and is just as good, if not a better suit, with I beleive the same warranty. Here in the Sacramento, Ca area a DUI stock TLS 350 will cost about $1520. while the Signature Series can be had for about $1940. which is about the cheapest around. A stock DC Ultraflex or Duraflex, which would be hugh on you, costs around $1400. while a custom DC with about the same features as the DUI SS will run around $1700. You pay an arm and a leg to DUI for custom. From DC the custom cut only lists $100. more then stock. After researching these suits over the last couple of months my bet is you'd be happy in either one. The $240. that you save on the DC though could make quite a dent in the undergarment you will need with either trilam. Good luck. Dave

Stargazer:
I am about 6'1'' and 160 lbs, and found that I had to get a wetsuit custom made to avoid lots of extra neoprene in the middle. Now I am planning to get a drysuit. Looking in particular at Diving Concepts UltraFlex, DUI TLS350, and Bare ATR-HD. The DUI dealer says a standard large suit will fit me just fine. The Diving Concepts dealer says I need to go custom. The Bare dealer was off diving and didn't answer - will try them again tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with these suits to give some advice whether I should go stock or custom ? I'm diving in the Northeast for what it's worth.

I'm kind of in the middle of this right now. I purchased two DC Ultraflex custom fits (first suits). Took extensive measurements, etc, etc, etc. To make a long story short, the fit is poor and the dump valve in poor position so hard to reach.

We dove them for awhile, but I began to suspect the problems weren't just us (my daughter and me) being new to drysuits. So we went to the DOG day yesterday in Newport OR. The stock TLS350 fit great on both of us. She had no problems in the tanks and started to regain her confidence. We could actually reach the dumps easily (it really wasn't just us).

From where I sit right now, the DC custom fit was a total waste of money and time (the fit is very poor). Live and learn. In retrospect, I'd go with the TLS.

We'll see if DC does anything now that I KNOW it's not just us. It may just be money down the hole.

Stargazer:

I bought a Bare Nexgen and it fits great. I'm tall and thin as well. Bare offers a large range of sizes. However, I bought the Nexgen. You seem to be looking at the higher end suits and if you can't find a perfect fit, for the price you are paying, a little extra for a custom fit would probably be a good idea.

Bill.

Thanks for everyone's comments, which are helpful. I tried on a Bare medium suit, which fit almost perfectly, so I think a Bare medium tall stock suit will work fine. Price from LDS is $1350, which includes a free dry suit certification course. That seems about $500 less than DUI equivalent (TLS350).
Only question now is to go with Trek boots ($80 more) or attached boots. I am leaning towards the socks and Trek boots, since the attached boots seemed way to sloppy in fit. Either way, looks like I would also need to get a larger pair of fins. But even with all this, it is still the best deal I can find.

Hi -

I bought my first drysuit last year (A Bare D6 Pro Dry) - I am a woman, also on the tall thin side (read = I get cold easily and don't need too much weight, so I only considered neoprene suits), and the women's small/tall fits me perfectly...in case there are any women out there in the same situation... I have the Trek boots and love them - especially for shore diving in our area (we go to Cape Ann almost every weekend). I get compliments on them all the time, and I have yet to take a major crash en route to/from the water - that is saying a LOT, as I am the biggest klutz on the planet! That said, I did have to purchase a new, larger pair of fins, as well as spring straps (from Boogie711 - they kick butt). Good luck!

Hi Stargazer, it would be nice if you could try on your choices with thermals to see how they fit. I'm 6'1" and 190lbs and have dove with Diving Concepts and the DUI (stock size L) crushed neoprene suits. They are great suits but a little snug when worn with HD thermals. The Viking Pro bag suit I also use is not so snug a fit (O3) and is usually my first choice for a dive, plus I like how fast it dries. Whatever you choose, make sure you can easily reach your relief valve, knife, fins, etc (range of motion) and practice with your new suit, which usually means...dive, dive, dive!

Have Fun!

Poog

Wow, You guys call yourselfs skinny I'm 6'1 135 pounds...lol...
I wanted to get a womens suit because they fit me and are cheaper. But the Medium Tall is also good. But a little to chubby for me, I try to eat and eat instead I loose pounds...Gained 2 pounds this summer and all I did was eat, sleep and PLAY VIDEO GAMES....NO EXCERSISE AND I GAINED TWO MEASLEY POUNDS!!!!!!!!! :11: :11: :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom