Drysuit Leaks - Repair or Replace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have a DUI TLS350. I've owned it for a few years now after buying it used. I think it was made in 2006. DUI did a leak test on it in June, 2012 and installed zip seals on the wrist and neck. It worked great until I shipped it to Japan. It was packed and loaded onto a truck in July, 2014 and finally arrived at my apartment in September, 2014. It has leaked on every dive I've used it since then.

I did the leak test that DUI posted on their website, using just enough water to slosh around in the suit. The drysuit leaked so much that I couldn't even turn it over because there was so much water running out of the suit. It looks like that the water is coming out of the seam tape around the zipper. I also found other leaks around the knee at the seam tape.

I actually hung the suit up outside last night, zipped it up and reached in through the neck with a flashlight and I could see light in pinholes parallel to the zipper.

My question, if the drysuit is leaking so much, is it worth fixing? A new zipper will cost at least $366 but it will cost more if all the seams have to be re-taped.

Another question, what would cause the seam tape to leak? Is that common? Did I mistreat the drysuit? I tried to hang it up out of direct sunlight to dry and neatly folded it and stored it after it was dry.

This is not a complaint, DUI has been great with my questions and when I shipped it to them in 2012 where they leak tested it, installed Turbo soles and zip seals. I'm just not sure if I should repair this suit or buy a new one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom