Drysuit Question - big head and neck seal dont mix??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neoprene neck seals come in different sizes..If letting it stretch overnight on a tank does not work get it replaced with a larger seal..Very dangerous if you try to put up with a neck seal that is too tight.Carotid sinus reflex come to mind.

Never used a neoprene seal but when removing my latex seal I run my hands up into the seal, palms facing my cheeks. I then press outward stretching the seal away from me as I tuck my chin to my chest. My hands leave me some breathing room as I slide them up along my face and the seal rides over my head on them.
Ber :lilbunny:

I dove my "new" CLX450 in a pool this past weekend...first time in a drysuit for me. The previous owner must be some kind of pencil neck because it still had 10 rings showing (new is 11). I made the first trim a couple of rings above the suggested for my size neck. Now, I was working with slight congestion, had not trouble clearing ears, but after an hour in the pool I started getting a headache that lasted several hours. Tylenol sinus didnt help, and later in the day I took some Sudafed. I didnt suffer any other problems than the headache. Was my seal too tight? It felt tight on the surface, but I wasnt paying attention under water while concentrating on skills and drills. Last night I trimmed the seal a bit more...no noticeable change in tightness, but will have to wait til the weekend to dunk it.

By the way, the CLX is a signature series, custom made for the original owner...other than the neck seal, the thing looks and fits as it had been tailored for me! Nice suit!

Me on the left with my "tutor" Mark Donoghue (scvdiver) after pool session
RobnMark.jpg

orangelion03:
I dove my "new" CLX450 in a pool this past weekend...first time in a drysuit for me. The previous owner must be some kind of pencil neck because it still had 10 rings showing (new is 11).

Hey, I resemble that remark! I had to have the smallest neck seal available put in my Viking Xtreme because the standard size didn't even touch my neck. I never had to trim my new itty bitty neck seal either :D (Bob3 asked if I wanted him to arrange the installation of a wrist seal on the neck LOL!)

A neck seal that fits is MUCH more pleasant than one that's too big; a neck seal that's too small can be dangerous.

I have a rather large head and a scrawny neck, and my drysuit has a neoprene neck seal. I also have long hair and a pony tail. I tried various methods of making life easier, eg. the plastic bag trick, etc. I didn't particularly find anything I liked -- having to tear an impromptu mouth hole in the plastic bag stuck over my head wasn't too pleasing. :eek: The other problem was that most of the methods were for getting *into* things, but getting the neck seal off was one of the two biggest problems (getting the hood on being the other). Finally, I came up with a *wonderful* solution:

*CHIFFON!*

Yep, chiffon. I was in a Walmart, randomly browsing for something that would help, when I ended up in their little fabric land. They had all sorts of cool fabrics, and some of them were mesh-like. Others were somewhat slick. Then there was chiffon, a nice sheer (i.e. breathe-through-able) fabric that was also rather slick-feeling. I bought two yards of it for a couple bucks (someday, I'll sell it in dive shops for $20 :D).

So, I had a piece of material roughly a yard wide and two yards long. To don the seal, I just put it over my head like a veil, and the seal slid right in place quite easily. The chiffon was slick enough, too, that I just grabbed the end and pulled it right out. Doffing the neck seal took a little more thought (about 7 seconds, as I recall). I tucked an end of the chiffon into my neck seal, and then I wrapped it around my head (somewhat like a turban, but from the neck up). It didn't obstruct my breathing at all, even through a couple layers of it.

Anyway, with a Frankensteinian turban covering my head to the neck, I just went around my neck and tucked the bottom of the chiffon under the neoprene neck seal, being sure my pony tail was sticking out the top of my "turban". Once I had it tucked in all around, I pulled the front of the neck seal out over my chin, and in one easy slide, the seal was up and over my head (without even taking a handful of hair with it!).

Of course, as you would expect, this entire experiment took place in front of a whole class of students, complete with instructors, et al. After popping the neck seal over my head, I tossed the fabric aside and opened my eyes to see every single one of them staring at me in amazement. The instructor smiled broadly and said, "Heh, I don't think I've ever seen *that* trick before!"

It worked so wonderfully, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts teaching it in his drysuit specialty classes. :D

ClayJar:
I have a rather large head and a scrawny neck, and my drysuit has a neoprene neck seal. I also have long hair and a pony tail. I tried various methods of making life easier, eg. the plastic bag trick, etc. I didn't particularly find anything I liked -- having to tear an impromptu mouth hole in the plastic bag stuck over my head wasn't too pleasing. :eek: The other problem was that most of the methods were for getting *into* things, but getting the neck seal off was one of the two biggest problems (getting the hood on being the other). Finally, I came up with a *wonderful* solution:

Clay, dear, the plastic bag trick isn't actually for neck seals sweetie. Didn't your mother tell you never to put a plastic bag over your head, you can suffocate :wink:

ClayJar:
Of course, as you would expect, this entire experiment took place in front of a whole class of students, complete with instructors, et al. After popping the neck seal over my head, I tossed the fabric aside and opened my eyes to see every single one of them staring at me in amazement. The instructor smiled broadly and said, "Heh, I don't think I've ever seen *that* trick before!"

It worked so wonderfully, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts teaching it in his drysuit specialty classes. :D

A DM on a boat had some swimsuit material sewn into a "bag" that she could put over her head to get her neck seal to slide on easily. You can breathe through that as well.

Ber Rabbit:
Clay, dear, the plastic bag trick isn't actually for neck seals sweetie. Didn't your mother tell you never to put a plastic bag over your head, you can suffocate :wink:
Hey, I was desperate... and it wasn't supposed to slide down that far, either. :D
Ber Rabbit:
A DM on a boat had some swimsuit material sewn into a "bag" that she could put over her head to get her neck seal to slide on easily. You can breathe through that as well.
Um... I get odd enough looks for pulling out a bit of chiffon. If I pulled out remnants of swimsuits, there might be questions. :D

ClayJar:
I get odd enough looks for pulling out a bit of chiffon. If I pulled out remnants of swimsuits, there might be questions. :D

Get some red swimsuit material, sew it with a white diagonal stripe and it can double as a dive flag :D Chiffon on a guy just sounds funny :huh:

Chiffon, hmmmmmmm - this will be a last resort after i have tried the talc etc...

Im just glad I am not alone here. I thought I would not be able to dive dry there for a few minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom