Drysuit weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrybosome

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi. I'm doing my first dry dive on Friday and would like some advice on weighting.

Currently I'm neutral with 8# lead in a steel bp/w with LP 95 tank and 7mm suit.

I'm moving into a Bare ATR HD with 4th Element Arctic undergarments. How much additional weight am I likely to need? I was thinking of starting with 20# as a first guess.

Thanks!

You're switching from diving wet to diving dry.

There's no substitute for doing a proper in-water weight check. This means compensating for any gas in your tank while doing the weight check.

Pay attention to how much air is in your drysuit during the weight check. I prefer to have a comfortable amount of air in there, whereas some people don't mind having the drysuit vacuum-sealed around their bodies.

I understand why you are asking, however it doesn't really matter where you start at...the chances of you getting it right the first time are slim. So you are going to be removing/adding weight regardless.

Besides doing a proper weight check, ensure you have weights easily accessible to you...having a buddy help is even easier.

My personal advice to you would be to start off light and build on it until your weight check is spot on. Start thinking about your weight placement, where you want the weight to go etc.

I think that is more useful at this point than asking what weight to start at.

Hope this helps.

J

My personal advice to you would be to start off light and build on it until your weight check is spot on.
J

Funny, I was planning on going the other way around. Start out heavy, do a dive till I have 500 psi, then go to a 15' deep spot and begin removing weight till I'm neutral with an empty bc.

I'm sure the placement will evolve over a series of dives.

Funny, I was planning on going the other way around. Start out heavy, do a dive till I have 500 psi, then go to a 15' deep spot and begin removing weight till I'm neutral with an empty bc.

I'm sure the placement will evolve over a series of dives.
Why not do a proper weight check with a full tank at the surface before your first drysuit dive? Then add enough lead to compensate for the gas in your tank (e.g., 6 lbs. for a full AL80). This will definitely get you in the ballpark of optimal weighting. Much better than guessing, IMHO.

Why not do a proper weight check with a full tank at the surface before your first drysuit dive? Then add enough lead to compensate for the gas in your tank (e.g., 6 lbs. for a full AL80). This will definitely get you in the ballpark of optimal weighting. Much better than guessing, IMHO.

OK, that sounds like a good idea. Thanks BT!

Good advice from Bubbletrubble!

Give some more thought to the weighting criteria based on 15' with 500psi remaining. You may find it more desirable to have enough weight to be neutral or slightly negative at the surface with near 0psi.... Especially if you have boating traffic where you dive.... :shocked2:

Dave C

Sure, there are all these formulas for calculating your optimal weight when going dry vs. wet, but I've found that the best way to figure it out, is to do a weight check before diving. And, chances are you'll be diving heavier in the beginning, and then be able to shed weight as you get more used to diving in a dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom