DUI low profile release valve- is a killer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy and I both recently had our low profile valves replaced. They were both brand new Signature Series suits and neither of us knew any better before reading ScubaBoard. Both had problems with leaking even when "several" clicks closed. And no we weren't being squeezed to death. We had to bring them to our dealer and they were swaped out, but we were allowed to keep the old ones. Just last Wednesday 11/26/03, did a 3/4 day trip on the Spectre Boat out of Ventura, not a drop through the new high profile valve! Just for the record, the rest of the suits are absolutely perfect and we are happy with them in every other way.

I also own a DUI drysuit with the LP valve. I find that if I try to exhaust air from the suit when ascending, and there is no air to exhaust....the valve leaks. It has never leaked any great amount ,only enough to dampen the sleeve of my thermals directly beneath the valve. I find that it will also leak if the valve is left in the full open position.
The bigger problem ,in my opinion,is the fact that I have had the suit only about a year and a half...and the zipper is now leaking. Has anyone else had any problem with the zippers on DUI suits? In either case the suit will have to go back to DUI to replace the zipper, and when it does I plan on having them change the valves.

No other problems at this point. But the suit only has 18 dives on it so far....

The stock vent on the TLS 350.

I dove this weekend with another suit- size larger. Opened the valve- and with short blasts and focusing hard on anticipating ascents - with a bent elbow- had no troubling regulating my ascent rate.

But - 35 minutes into the dive I was sure I was getting wet. The valve leaks- big time. I was soaked my left arm and down my side..... not happy with the result.

Vin

I just called DUI and they are taking my suit back. The fit was poorly done anyway so it's no big loss. But, the thing with the valve really ticked me off. They spent an hour on the phone denying there is anything wrong. But, they will replace it if you want?? Either it works or it doesn't. They tell you the level of the leak depends on what kind of diving you do and how much air you keep in the suit. Well, my answer was I do "dry diving". Dry diving means just that. No water in the suit at all. There is no acceptable level of water leaks in a well made dry suit. IMHO.

Anyway, I give them credit for taking the suit back and giving me my money back. At least they have that going for them. So all in all a learning experience. :)

What are you going with at this point?

Vin

I've got 30 dives on my new DUI CF200X Signature Series and I have not had any problems with the suit so far. I will keep an eye on that dump valve for now.

Not sure yet. I had a USIA custom suit before the DUI and it was great. Nothing fancy but it was dry and I never had any problems with it. Haven't made up my mind at this point what I will try next. But, I will certainly be looking at more than just reputation alone. I'm not saying that DUI makes a bad suit. Just that things didn't work out for me in this instance. I understand that others are happy and that's cool.

I will listen to what the people on this site have to say and go from there. I think that the information you get from the people on this site is invaluable. I really appreciate people giving so freely of their experiences. It would take years of trial and error to learn what you can in a day of reading the posts here.

I have been diving for 16 yrs and as far as gear is concerned, what I have learned is mostly through word of mouth and trial and error. I just found this site reacently and its been a great tool for info. I beleive in arriving @ one's own conclusions - but getting there quickly is key for me - and the concensus is a huge time and $$ saver.

Vin

Just put 2 dives on my new high profile Apeks valve. Quite a difference from the leaky low profile. What a concept, staying dry in a dry suit without having to dive with a huge bubble in the suit. If you are buying a DUI dry suit or have a new one still in waranty, order it with the high profile Apeks or the SI Tech or have DUI change it for free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom