DUI low profile release valve- is a killer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a interesting thread, this summer I was doing entry level trimix and a couple of times after coming out of the water I was pretty well soaked I dive with just enough air to keep the suit squezze comfortable, I sent it back to DUI to have them check it out ....and as usual they found nothing...... but the funny thing is it hasn't leaked since ......they told me that the water was due to condensation..... Now I may have agreed with them to a point but when I can turn my suit upside down and pour water out of it.....I think that this is a little more than condensation!
Rob

There is a problem with the low profile valve. There is just too many people having trouble with it. My new high profile valve has yet to leak at all. I do notice it being affected by sand a bit more but a thorough cleaning is all that is required.

Divefan: I agree with your angle, DUI should have the problem 100% before using this substandard valve, look at the hassle it is for people to change them out. Yeah now "we" know but what about the unsuspecting person? The other side of the coin is that the rest of the suit is built like a truck and I couldn't be happier.

Genesis once bubbled...
Does it release ALL the air?

I've seen some exhausts that are maddening in this regard, in that a "bubble" remains in your arm even though the valve is "wide open."

If I have it wide open (and I do) I want ALL the air out! :)

(That is, the suit and the surrounding water are at the same pressure inside and out.)

That's the way I prefer to dive a drysuit.

It certainly feels like all the air is exhausted. No bubble remaining, seems to exhaust quickly, and when I get back on the boat, I'm definitely vacumn packed.

However, I am also a very new dry diver ( about 12 dives ), and still a beginner with about 70 total dives. But I've been very happy with the valve performance, and I do stay dry ;-)

It must be dry. One would think that DUI had spent hours beating on the vavle to ensure the market place drip free diving. Those who have fealt the leak - in cold water diving know damn well it ain't persperation. The water up in Boston is 42 degrees when your left arm freezes- its clear.

All of this discussion does not eliminate the fact that by definition the suit is to be dry. If the body is built like a truck but the valve permits water to flow into the suit - the system is flawed- and should not but put into production. The question is, are the apex valves on the demo suits leaking or are all the LP valves leaking?

I have not seen the stock valve - is the size a real issue - what about a forearm mount with the stock valve.

They will clearly get the valve right at some point- but fundamentaly - selling a valve that leaks is like selling a lemon. They should recall the existing LP valves and use the stock - with the offer to replace when they get it fine tuned.

Vin

There is a simple solution, Vin.... request the SiTech valve. It doesn't cost any more than the Apeks, and it doesn't leak.

I had one on a BARE suit that I owned - it worked well.

My understanding however is that the hole size is different, so you cannot (easily) swap a SiTech for an EXSITING Apeks installation, or vice-versa.

I had DUI put in the high profile Apeks, which is not known to have problems when I ordered my suit. The SiTech is rumored to have a potential "gotcha" in that the cover can (if impacted or snagged) pop off, which releases the "guts" of the valve (that's all that holds them in) - that would be very bad if it happened at depth, as you'd get an instant and unrecoverable flood!

I never had trouble with my SiTech though on my BARE suit.

It IS higher in profile (but narrower) than the Apeks LP.

I figured that there wasn't much "downside" to the Apeks HP valve, and it left open the capability to field-swap to the LP one if they DO get it fixed, it proves out in the future, and I want to.

Frankly the only real issue with the profile of the valve is the possibility of it hanging up on your harness if you wear a BP.

So?

Put your left arm in first and take it out last - problem solved.

I have to do that anyway since I like my plate to not be "wobbly" when I'm diving.

So DUI- was simply trying to streamline the suit and threw in an inferrior product with out doing the proper testing...
VIN

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom