Educate me, back inflating BC vs. Normal inflation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BadabingM3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks,

Intermediate diver here, working on certs as the years go by. I have allways used the standard wrap around BC's and never used a back inflating type. I'm in the market for a new BC as I've out grown mine. I was wondering what are the benefits of the rear inflating types? I do a little wreck diving when the occation is available, mainly I do summer vacation diving and that's probebly the extent of it. So don't know which BC to go for. Please tell me about boyancy issues, pros/cons of both compared. Thanks,

Rob

Aloha...

A back inflate is typically superior to a jacket-style bc in many ways.

1. it is more streamlined
2. it is more comfortable
3. it typically has more lift
4. when you utilize this lift, it does not compress you as it inflates
5. more versatile and more practical applications

the drawbacks are minimal...

1. takes a little getting used to - a back inflate bc will typically toss you forward slightly and this takes a couple of dives to get used to.
2. you have little or no "pocket" storage - as an instructor, I like being able to store stuff in my pockets (charts, cue cards, etc.) but this is not the issue for most divers. I do teach in a jacket-style bc because of this. However, if I am going to "dive", I will use my back inflate (cressi bac-jac).

Hope this helps :wink:

If you do a quick search of the forums, you'll find this topic has been beaten to death in more ways than one.

But in case you're too lazy to search for em, here are a few points:
There's basically a trade-off between which one's better at the surface vs. which one's better while diving.
- back inflate / bp/w bcds let you achieve better trim while diving. As a result, they don't raise you out of the water too much at the surface.
- The vest bcd lets you sit high out of the water on the surface. However, this also applies at depth, making it harder to get good trim while diving.
- There is no squeeze when you inflate the back-inflate / bp/w bcd since the bladder is only on your back.
I know I'm leaving out plenty of other details but these are some of the main points.

I am facing the same situation that you are facing. I have outgrown the jacket style that I dove with for my first 12 years of diving (lay of me, I was 13 when I started). Any how, I can still use it, but it is a touch too snug these days, but I digress. I did a lot of searching and reading on these forums, and what I found was this: it was about as universal as it can get that those who have made the switch to back inflate will never go back. I had a new jacket style picked out, a ScubaPro that I used and loved at the Georgia Aquarium, but I put the purchase on hold, and tried out a back inflate with the regulator that I demoed last weekend.

Everyone says that it takes a couple of dives to get used to, but I will tell you this, I had to manually inflate mine because the demo rig wouldn't work with that BC, and I STILL preferred it immediately. I have always been at least decent at getting neutral buoyancy and proper trim, but it was literally effortless with this BC, I just let the air out slowly, found it, and had proper trim from my first kick. I WILL be buying a back inflate (just waiting on some info about the Scubapro SeaHawk), and will not be looking back.

I would suggest you pick a LDS with a pool, and go try one out. If they know you mean business, and they aren't a shop that normally does demos before purchases, the instructors there will just let you use one of theirs. Pretty much any dive shop with a pool, that wants you as a customer, should let you try one out. Some shops, including my favorite, have signs that say you are supposed to buy a product first, then test it, then if you don't like it, you get credit towards a different item. That works because they literally carry every brand that I know of (except Poseidon), but even still, if you bug them enough, you can get a demo, and if they refuse, I would take my business to a different shop. /rant

Quick Summary: try one out, it is a preference thing, it's just that most people prefer the back -inflation. And myself am an official convert as of 2 days ago.

To me, a BI is more 'streamlined' feeling UW---?has a slight forward push to it on the surface but nothing an average diver can't get used to.....

Last edited:
- back inflate / bp/w bcds let you achieve better trim while diving. As a result, they don't raise you out of the water too much at the surface.
- The vest bcd lets you sit high out of the water on the surface. However, this also applies at depth, making it harder to get good trim while diving.

Actually, I would beg to differ with that point of view if we're just talking about the context of single-tank diving. In my opinion, getting good trim with a single tank is a skills issue, not a gear issue.

Skillzzzz for the win.

With twin tanks, especially bigger ones, you pretty much need a back inflate. It's hard to attach twins to a jacket type BCD and a jacket isn't made to be stable enough with that much weight on your back.

For single tanks, though...... 6 of one....... 1/2 dozen of the other. Both work.

- There is no squeeze when you inflate the back-inflate / bp/w bcd since the bladder is only on your back.
This is what I think the main advantage is. It's nice to have the whole front of your body free. The bp/w feels less bulky and that's nice.

R..

I stand corrected. Haven't had any experience diving doubles yet. I found myself getting better trim after I switched to a bp/w config. Perhaps that's just me getting better! :D

Nah... you probably just dailed in faster using the bp/w. Judging from reactions I read on Scubaboard, your experience is far from unique so there probably is something about them that makes it easier for some people.

My point was, however, that you can dial in your trim using a traditional jacket too. People just seem to assume that since they "found" their trim (sometimes suddenly) with the bp/w that there's something wrong with jackets. There isn't really. That's all I was saying.

R..

There seems to be some confusion (perhaps mine) on terminology here. Back inflate has zero impact on streamlining if it's on a bulky jacket. I dived a Black Diamond jacket a few years ago, which is back inflate and can accommodate doubles. It was very bulky and created a lot of drag.

Jackets come as wrap around, back inflate or a combination of the two. BP/W is strictly a back inflate. The streamlining is more about the jacket, than the air cell it contains. The drag of a 32lb cell will create the same drag whether back mounted or in a wrap around if your weighting is correct, but they definitely have different trim characteristics. A BP will move more of your ballast above your lungs and away from your hips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom