Elderly Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started diving at 52. No doubt (good group!) I am by no means the same physical speciman now as I was when I was a paratrooper in the service....but I am not that big a slouch. I do find myself being more careful than some of the younger divers I have been with. I carry a pony bottle no matter how deep the dive is....or isnt. It has been the cause of many "humorous" comments....I just respond I like going to birthday parties...especially my own.

As a tangent thread.....how do you feel about having to buddy up with an "older" person you do not know? Do you worry about their capabilities to assist in an emergency?

And, as a tangent comment, I have never been involved in a sport that is sooooooo pro active on recruiting new members... then....for lack of any other phrase....holds it against them for being new. Looking my age.....most think I have been diving since prehistoric times. Yet, when they find out I am new at the sport, I encounter eye rolls, long sighs, pained expressions and the like. You read thread after thread here someone has a fear of water or something one would encounter with diving and they get tons of answers back encouraging them to "give it a try"..."you can do it".... and the like. Yet I have been on dives where the "newbie" was not wanted as a dive buddy.

My daughter does not dive and the first time she came out with me on a local quarry dive she enjoyed watching but on the way home made the comment.....""it looks like a fun sport but if you dont do it....they all seem to think you are substandard or crazy for some reason. ""

The older diver has more to consider, but, no more to lose than any other diver. From my point of view...it is pretty cool to be alive no matter how old you are.

I am not sure I would consider a 48 y.o. diver and "old diver". Old fart maybe:wink: , but not an old diver. On a trip to Little Cayman a couple of years back, we ran into a "Senior Womens" group. The ages ranged from the late fifties to the mid-seventies, and this was one enthusiastic group of divers.

I too am 48, and plan to dive at least another 20 years.

One of the instructors at my LDS is 60+, and still kicks butt.

RICHinNC once bubbled...
I started diving at 52. No doubt (good group!) I am by no means the same physical speciman now as I was when I was a paratrooper in the service....

Did Nitrox, Rescue, AOL [SSI] DAN O2, wreck, deep at 61.
Got back from Cozumel 2 weeks ago and plan to start
SSI Dive Con in March. I'm 62 now.

PS: I was Airborne in 1964...have put on a few lbs since.:D

RICHinNC once bubbled...
I started diving at 52. ....but I am not that big a slouch.

"No, no, no. Don't sell yourself short... You're a tremendous slouch." Chevy Chase - Cady Shack

Sorry. Just couldn't resist throwing in a movie quote. :bonk:

I was first certified (NAUI) in 1969 when I was 16 years old. I like you am currently 48. I certainly am not as strong or as fit as I was then, but I'm a better diver today.

I intend to continue diving for as long as I can. But, I have asked myself the same questions that you have. How will I know it's time to stop diving? When will that be?

I still am not sure how I will know to stop diving.

With respect to when, the only thing I know is, it's not today.

dc4bs,,,,,,,,

that ok...a cheap shot is better than none at all!!! ive way too much fat (not thick skin!!) to get frazzled.....
besides...the truth will set you free....and so will undoing the button on these trousers.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm 32 now, so no longer a spring chicken :)

That being said, the oldest divers seem to have the best air consumption. I was on a boat with a seemingly ancient guy and his wife.

They stayed down for forever. I swear they had gills.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, you should dive until you don't want to do it anymore.

I am more concerned about the younger divers. Way too much testosterone....

Peter

I just helped certify a gentleman that wanted to go diving with his daughter, in her 40's, on the Great Barrier Reef. He had to take the Sunday afternoon courses so that scuba didn't interfere with his banjo lessons. Not bad for a 74 year old.

Back
Top Bottom