Elderly Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raybo once bubbled...
They can have my regulator when they pry my cold dead fingers from around it.

...ditto. Underwater, aerobic fitness is king. Body fat management & diet have to be watched. I can still run youngsters into the ground over 10-40K. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I competed Nationally & Internationally in Triathlon & Golf in decades gone by. Diving into my 70s and 80s - you bet! After all, if the swedes can jump into ice water in the winter, I should be able to handle it with drysuit, drygloves, dryhood.....

I did a night dive with the local dive club last year. I was paired up (planned, but not known at the time) with a man who was 71 years old...... his skin was like leather and he didn't say much, but he smiled a lot. Anyways, we went to a shallow wreck and then drift to our exit. The guy did the entire drift back to exit with his light off, and came out with almost 500 psi more than me on what I thought was a pretty good dive...... talk about being comfortable in the water...

SS

My wife and I are currently diving on a very famous wreck and we were wondering if we are too old to be classed as Elderly divers. I have attached a picture for your consideration
Aquamore
:jester:
May your bubbles flow forever upwards

Aquamore once bubbled...
My wife and I are currently diving on a very famous wreck and we were wondering if we are too old to be classed as Elderly divers. I have attached a picture for your consideration
Aquamore
:jester:
May your bubbles flow forever upwards

Looks like you guys need a little more protein in your diet!

:rofL:

My dive buddy, my instructor, my friend and my father are all the same guy. He was certified OW by the YMCA in 1957 and in 1959 received his instructor certification. In 1970 he certified me (my brother and sister were later) and for the next 3 years, before I went off and joined the Navy, I was his DM. The Y didn't have a DM certification back then.

Over the last 10 years (he is now 65) my dad has been struggling with prostate cancer. He has gone through more medical procedures (operations, hormones, radiation, chemo, etc) than I have thought a human body could endure. All during that time he has continued to dive as much as possible. His last dive was less than a year ago before his third chemo treatment. He is now recouperating yet again and is hopeful that he will be able to dive later this spring. (I have recently convinced him of the benefits of Nitrox as a possible aid to lessen his post dive exhaustion.)

My point in telling this story is to let you all know that there are people out here who will never stop doing what they love. If you love this sport then you will continue to find a way to make it happen for you. Dad continues to amaze me and will always be a hero in my eyes.

I'll be damned if I ever give up. While I'm still breathin, I'll be divin.

Why not think about diving as that "second career"? I had been diving recreationally for a number of years and retired in a warm southern clime with water everywhere. What better job can you have, when money isn't the only objective, than being on a dive boat every day as DM/mate/guide? (No, I don't instruct because I have better things to do in my golden years than spend my life on my knees in a pool that is 10 degrees colder than the ocean.)

In Bonaire a couple years ago I met a couple in their mid-80's that required major assistance getting on and off the boat, not to mention that they had to put their equipment on and take it off in the water. But man, once down they were awesome. At 70'-80' this lady would be laying on her side looking at the wall, gradually moving along, and you thought she was asleep! No fin movement, no air bubbles to speak of, literally stationary depth +/- 1', arms folded, was she dead? I hope someday I can dive like that!

Now that it's becoming well known that physiologically older divers in reasonable physical condition are not at particular risk compared with younger folks, assuming medications are also appropriate, if it's going to happen anyway I can't think of a better place to have that "final feeling" than underwater.

If I live to be 100, I hope to be diving at 100.

Only old people have the money to dive. Only really old people have the spare time to go with the money.

If only life wasn't backwards. They should let you have the money, time and brains when your young..or...let you have health and strength when your old.

Just my 43 year old opinion.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Only old people have the money to dive. Only really old people have the spare time to go with the money.

If only life wasn't backwards. They should let you have the money, time and brains when your young..or...let you have health and strength when your old.

Just my 43 year old opinion.

There's an old George Carlin (I think) about how life should be lived backwards that runs along your train of thought.

And ain't it the truth?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom