Entry-level BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP,

You can solicit opinions here or you can just go to a good local dive shop, conk out a wad of money for a Halcyon Infinity rig with a SS plate and a 30-lbs wing. It's a great product made by a great diving company designed by the greatest groups of divers led by Jarrod Jablonski. Yeah, it's expensive, but you get to flaunt the Blue H symbol.

Chicks dig it.

Halycon: Expensive blue H.
Hollis: Less expensive red H.

Red goes better with black anyway if you ask me :wink:

"One wing to rule them all..."

myprecious1.jpg

As others have said, the great thing about BP/W setups is there are no "beginner" vs "pro" setups. Once you have this setup, it can stay with you no matter how far you go into tech diving (or don't).

But to clarify, you're only looking to transition into the wing/plate configuration, but not to change your regulator configuration, right? BP/W is typically associated with long hose / necklace regulator setups, but there's no requirement to change your regulator configuration when you go to a BP/W.

Just a note of caution, though, that if/when you choose to change your regulator configuration to use a long hose, it would be smart to seek training in proper safety drills and procedures with this new configuration.

Well your buddies wouldn't have time to notice the blueness of your H anyway. They'll be too busy scrutinizing your trim :wink:

But to clarify, you're only looking to transition into the wing/plate configuration, but not to change your regulator configuration, right? BP/W is typically associated with long hose / necklace regulator setups, but there's no requirement to change your regulator configuration when you go to a BP/W.

Your supposition is correct, but only because I don't have a reg setup now. I've always used rental/resort gear, which have the short hoses. Now that I am buying my own equipment, I have regs on order with the long hose / necklace regulator setups. Training is the next step.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2014 at 10:20 PM ----------

I appreciate all the comments. I have purchased a Hollis steel backplate and an OxyCheq wing (the wing was on clearance). I haven't chosen a harness yet but will be going with a basic DIR-style harness with no bells or whistles (other than my Storm Whistle).

One thing that has caught my eye is Dive Gear Express's Ultimate Hogarthian Harness, which they say includes: "webbing sleeves for improved abrasion resistance, crotch strap with neoprene comfort sleeve, durable neoprene elastic bands, additional webbing slides to support a variety of assembly options, extra buckle for securing light canister or accessory pocket, snap line."

Does that seem worth the extra money, or is the basic harness durable and comfortable enough that I wouldn't notice much benefit?

I'd start with the basic Hog harness. I don't see any need for the neoprene sleeves, etc, etc. If you need to add something to the basic harness down the road, it's easy enough to do.

One thing that has caught my eye is Dive Gear Express's Ultimate Hogarthian Harness, which they say includes: "webbing sleeves for improved abrasion resistance, crotch strap with neoprene comfort sleeve, durable neoprene elastic bands, additional webbing slides to support a variety of assembly options, extra buckle for securing light canister or accessory pocket, snap line."

This is the single most moronic statement made by a dive shop. There is no such thing as an "ultimate hogarthian" harness. That's like saying a "fully-loaded base model" or "very intricately simple." The Hogarthian harness's beauty is its lack of crap. Don't start adding crap to it! If you need all of that crap, buy a poodle jacket and call it a day.

Sorry, now that I've vented a bit....it's not worth the money. There's no benefit to it. Get a truly basic Hog harness. If you PAID me to take that harness, I would....but I'd leave all of the "Ultimate" features off of it and just throw 'em away.

As for training....if you're a certified diver you shouldn't need training on how to use a longhose. The GUE website has great details on how to set up your DIR harness/bp/wing and how to route your hoses. A pool session should be more than enough. Also, get some 1/8" bungee for your necklace :D.

If you DO want further training, make it a lot more useful than a "long hose deployment specialty" and do a proper DIR class. Call up a GUE instructor and begin your road towards Fundies!

I sell the same harness kit. And the description is kind of misleading. It is not all gussied up if you look at the description.

The webbing sleeves are just for where the main harness goes through the slot. They are not more than about 6 inches long. The kit I sell comes with 4 of them for top and bottom slots. They can be pain to thread but I like them better than using a slide on the bottom slots. They hold but still allow the webbing to slide when adjusting the harness for different people or exposure suits. Some people use em some don't.

The neoprene bands are really nice. They are about an inch and half wide and take the place of the traditional inner tube. I find them easier to manipulate than inner tube when wearing gloves. They still hold lights and other items secure.

The padding on the crotch strap is nice. Is it necessary? Maybe not but it does not add any buoyancy and it does keep the strap from rubbing as much on bare skin and suits.

It's not like the added items are overkill. They are not. They are more like little convenience items that once I saw them said "Why didn't I think of that" type things. And I would not use ultimate as a description. "Just really nice" is more apropos.

Oh and I can get it in black or red. Here's a pic of the red one.
Red Harness Kit.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom