Entry-level BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing that has caught my eye is Dive Gear Express's Ultimate Hogarthian Harness, which they say includes: "webbing sleeves for improved abrasion resistance, crotch strap with neoprene comfort sleeve, durable neoprene elastic bands, additional webbing slides to support a variety of assembly options, extra buckle for securing light canister or accessory pocket, snap line."

Does that seem worth the extra money, or is the basic harness durable and comfortable enough that I wouldn't notice much benefit?

I would say no. If you want you could add the webbing sleeves, DGX sells the material for $1 a foot. The neoprene elastic bands sounds like shoulder pads cut down, hopefully Jim will clarify. A plastic buckle is $1.

Dive Rite used to have the best prices on harnesses. It seems they recently raised their prices substantially. If cost is an issue you may want to try Cave Adventurers basic harness for under $30. It also includes a crotch strap. Edd can give you good prices on regulators also.

The elastic bands on the one I sell are not cut down shoulder pads. They are specifically made to use as retainers. I have not measured the thickness of them, and am on the road to a show now, but they are maybe 1mm neoprene. Don't hold me to that until I have a chance to check after this weekend. I have a couple harnesses in stock and with me but my calipers are on my desk.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

One thing that has caught my eye is Dive Gear Express's Ultimate Hogarthian Harness, which they say includes: "webbing sleeves for improved abrasion resistance, crotch strap with neoprene comfort sleeve, durable neoprene elastic bands, additional webbing slides to support a variety of assembly options, extra buckle for securing light canister or accessory pocket, snap line." . . . Does that seem worth the extra money, or is the basic harness durable and comfortable enough that I wouldn't notice much benefit?
I agree with others, I don't see the value associated with the extra cost. The basic harness is VERY durable. I have yet to wear out webbing on any backplate despite lots of dives, and exposure to salt water. Many divers use pieces of inner tube instead of the 'neoprene elastic bands'. You can buy the webbing sleeve material cheaply if you want it (I have a couple of two inch crotch straps with it - nice but not essential). You can buy bungee cord at a sporting goods store, and I don't use a buckle to secure my can light. Nothing really 'wrong' with it, just not worth the extra $$$ from my perspective.

One thing that has caught my eye is Dive Gear Express's Ultimate Hogarthian Harness, which they say includes: "webbing sleeves for improved abrasion resistance, crotch strap with neoprene comfort sleeve, durable neoprene elastic bands, additional webbing slides to support a variety of assembly options, extra buckle for securing light canister or accessory pocket, snap line."

I like a sleeve on my crotch strap to cut down on abrasion while walking (I do a lot of shore diving, most of it involving hiking my doubles up and down a rocky shore). the second buckle is good for a can light, or holding a pocket in place if you put a pocket on your right side. But you can just use a cheapo plastic one too if you really need it.

I use shock cord (bungee) to keep all my hoses in check vs. bicycle tubbing or anything else. I also use a toothed slide on each side of the waist strap on the back of the plate to keep it from moving. The extra stuff doesn't hurt in my opinion, but I probably wouldn't pay a ton extra for it. I don't think I'd use the shoulder sleeves either as they'd probably just add unneeded buoyancy.

Oh, and I'd use a stainless steel, curved buckle for your waist strap, not a plastic one.

You can also find instructions online to show you how to thread your harness.

Best of luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom