Entry level computer/dive watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andy_j_briggs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I've booked a diving holiday through my local dive centre, I'm planning to hire most kit but they've recommended I get my own computer or watch, and have a couple of questions:

1. Is a computer a better investment than a watch for a beginner?

2. Can you recommend a good entry level watch or computer?

Thanks

Andy

You can actually get a computer that is also a "watch" (or the same size). Many divers wear it as their everyday watch.

Suunto, Dive Rite, and Oceanic make dive computers that are watches for example.
These typically run $495 and up.

Most of the lower end computers being sold today are decent for entry level. My opinion is that the "real crappy" ones have been washed out by new techonolgy on the market. If you think you're going to dive Nitrox, then go ahead and get a Nitrox computer. No sense having to buy a new computer later.

Something like the Genesis React Pro (Nitrox) can be bought for just under $300. You can get the air version for just under $200. (These are the "hocky puck" style computers that you can get a wrist mount for or put in your console in place of you depth gauge. People do either based on personal prefference).

As for computer verses regular watch. Any waterproof watch can be a dive watch. this includes the el-cheapo's at Walmart for $5-$10. But you can easily spend several hundred (or several thousand) on fancier watches. If you want a dive watch then decide if you're going to wear it every day before putting a lot of cash on it. I wear a dive watch as my "every day watch" for example. I actually use the timer bezel on it for many other "non dive" related things, but mostly for timing steaks on the grill :)

Thanks,

I've done a bit of research and am probably looking at a couple of Suunto models, the Vyper and Gecko, although if anyone has any other recommendations I'd be grateful!

I know this has probably been done to death on here, but is it worth paying the extra for the Vyper - I'm only really planning on occasional diving ie on holiday etc so don't want to pay over the top for equipment, and am unlikely to really use the download feature on the Vyper as it won't tell me all that much with just very occasional dives.

Thanks

Andy

For a very nice computer with easy to read numbers and intuitive and easy to use interface, I recommend the Seiko computers - Cressi Archimedes, TUSA IQ700, Dive Rite Nitek Duo. Each offer slightly different features and capabilities, but the simpliest one, the Archimedes (nitrox support) goes for under $300 too. I have the Archimedes for over a year, and can only say good things about it. The interface is really easy, and worry free.

The use of a computers is personal preference. The biggest advantage is that it calculates nitrogen load based on actual dive profile, and does not round off or force square profile calculations via using a table. Helpful in maximizing bottom time and with repeated dives. However, computers also facilitate laziness, over reliance, and may encourage dangerous practices like riding the NDL times.

The Suunto Gekko and Mosquito are good wrist-style dive computers, with good reliability and nice conservative decompression math built in. I have a mosquito (about $450 retail or $340 online) and it is the size of a biggish sports watch. I leave it on all weekend when diving. The Gekko is a little cheaper, a little bigger, and lacks the PC interface, but otherwise very similar in features.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom