Etiquette of “NO, you are not diving with us”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki:
Needless to say the dive went south, bad

My response to the thread in general is.. if you are not comfortable with a diver, don't dive with them. What excuse you want to make up, or how to go about telling a diver no is really going to have to be handled BY YOU! If you were not comfortable doing it this time, will you be next time? You will have to decide.

But, now for the rest of the story, how did the dive go south? :icon10:

How about this one.
No way hoser, find someone else to dive with! <laughing>
:eyebrow:

I have a pretty simple rule: safety takes precedence over etiquette.

I've also learned to respect my hunches about potential buddies, and to act upon them. Giving bogus excuses is more likely to cause difficulties that just saying something like "I'm uncomfortable doing this dive with you".

Unfortunately, I have lots and lots of real world experience with buddy-du-jour or inst-buddy, since I rarely bring a buddy along on dive trips. There is no way that I'd dive with a buddy team that was uncomfortable with me coming along.

It is easy, just tell the stranger your dive plan is to set demolition charges on the wreck at 350 feet and that the charges are old and unstable. If he says "That's OK, I just tag along" you should feel no guilt in saying no.

Tom725:
It is easy, just tell the stranger your dive plan is to set demolition charges on the wreck at 350 feet and that the charges are old and unstable. If he says "That's OK, I just tag along" you should feel no guilt in saying no.

Or tell him he has to carry the charges then!

This is one of those rare occasions, where being DIR would have MAJOR advantages.

"...dude, that's not a 7ft hose. Is that a COMPUTER on your wrist? Sorry man, we're DIR and we don't dive with... well you know!"

Well, I am kind of embarrassed about the dive but knew I’d have to spill the beans at some point.

We descend on the beach in about 15ft of water. He struggles to get down, so we wait for him in the bottom. He gets down and then he points to his mask, and we wait for him to clear it a few times. We set off, and my buddy goes a bit ahead holding the float line. As we slowly descent further we need to stop several times, we are not quite sure why but every time I ask – I get an ‘OK’ and ‘go ahead’ for an answer. We get to 50ft and level, and he drops behind me and starts having great trouble keeping up.

At this point I am cursing in my mind that I ended up in the middle. I am constantly peeking between my legs or over my shoulder to see where he is, and whether he is having ear trouble or something but not saying so. Every time I drop behind trying to get next to him, he just drops further back, and I start losing sight of my buddy, so I have to speed to keep them both in sight. (Viz is is not great and by this time he has kicked up a soup around us).

Finally, about 10 min into the dive I see him clearing the mask again, fiddling with the strap, so I stop and ask again, and this time he actually signs ‘iffy’, points to ear or head and shows index finger up. He has now stopped moving, my buddy hasn’t seen it yet and I am trying to show him a sign to wait a second. He didn’t thumb it, so I would think he could hold on few sec, so I could fetch my buddy before we change direction. The moment I kick a couple of feet ahead I see why my buddy didn’t stop. She saw the boat, and is quickly trying to tie the float on the mooring, so she can come assist him with both hands free. However, I know she cannot anymore see him because I can barely see her fins, and when I turn to take that one kick back, he has vanished anyway. That much for trying to be visible for both.

So, trusting I know what my buddy is likely to do next, I dash after the guy towards the direction he pointed, and do a quick search. Nothing. I return enough so my buddy can see my yellow fin tips and join me. I sign to him the guy’s message. We both do a brief search both backwards and towards the direction he pointed. I am starting to feel a bit freaky but I know he’d signed a coherent plan, so we decided that I’ll slowly ascent on top off my buddy’s bubbles while my buddy will circle down. I hope I came up slow enough, no computer, no line, no reference. I pop up and there’s nothing. No head and no bubbles nowhere to be seen. Good amount of waves, so as I look towards shore the line he should have taken, it’s no way I could see the bubbles anyway. I will not swim far because even though we have float tied I am not leaving my buddy’s bubbles knowing that in that water from 40-50f down she will not be able to see me and is truly alone.

I am talking myself down but it’s a long couple of minutes. (It’s hard not to go back down right away when not seeing nothing!) I am just about to start signing to the son ashore or the lifeguards but taking into account how slow this guy was I was a bit resistant still. Just about when I am getting real nervous, he pops up all the way at the buoys. It’s too far to yell anything, and by now my buddy comes up too, and we both are about ready to curse. He had just dumped us and surfaced at the beach. Obviously he was able to continue the dive, didn’t have to surface, so why the heck he just vanish. We are like – I know we are supposed to go there and talk to him BUT – I am gonna rip his head off for scaring us like that. It’s not like we didn’t say it’s thumbs up or clearly tell if ditching. Then we are like, is he signing he’s coming back??? He’s pointing to his mask and waving. We’re looking at each other. Guess what we did next?

piikki:
Guess what we did next?

You ducked under water before he could get there?

In the third paragraph you also left him sitting there alone when he indicated that he had a problem.

And in the last paragraph you're irritated that he abandoned you.

Don't get me wrong but you abandoned a buddy with problems in paragraph 3 and you're irritated that he wasn't where you "parked" him in paragraph 5.....

I'm reading this right?

R..

Your mistake was accepting him as a buddy at all, you didn't need to turn him down, because he just asked if he could share water with your flag, not buddy up with him.

That diver was not your responsibilty and you had no obligation to help him. You should have completed your dive as your planned and ignored him. Seriously.

A simple response if someone asks you to buddy up and you do not want that person on your dive is to state, "I'm sorry, I am not comfortable diving with people when I do not know their skill level" then immediately go back to what you were doing and don't even wait for an answer. If you were donning gear, don your gear. It's not an argument, you get to chose who you dive with. Just state the fact your are uncomfortable and leave it at that.

Not you, nor I, nor anyone else is obligated to buddy up with anyone. There are always easy ways to say no... here are a few.

1. Sorry, I only dive solo...
2. Sorry, My buddy is inexperienced (even if they are not) and I'm going to be focusing all of my attention on him/her
3. Sorry, I'm not willing to be responsible for someone I don't know
4. Sorry, I only carry enough air for myself... wouldn't want you to be out in an emergency with no air
5. Sorry, my last buddy died and his wife his suing me... don't need anymore headaches

Make up anything you like... but don't dive with a buddy you don't want to dive with... PERIOD.

Ken

Web Monkey:
I don't say "No", unless someone is obviously going to hurt themselves.

However, if I'm unsure of the other diver, we will stay shallow and find something interesting to look at around the the grass, top edge of the wall, etc.

There's always another dive, and I'd much rather change my plans to accomodate a new diver, than blow someone off who's just getting started. When the dive is over, it's easy to discuss what worked and what didn't and what they/you might want to change next time.

Equipment may or may not be an issue. If by "adequate", you mean you don't like the brand/quality/age, that's really not your call, unless you think there's real chance of getting hurt. I went diving with a guy who had nothing but a wetsuit, a tank and a regulator from "Sea Hunt" and we both had a great time.

If you mean that they showed up with no tank, a garden hose and a cinder block, and and expected to do a 100 foot dive, that's a different story.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom