Experienced diver wants a new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was going to just tell Richard at Dive-Tronix to toss the Perdix in the trash rather than pay for a $451.50 repair, and Michele would have sent it back free of charge if I made a video putting a bullet in it after I asked her what the return cost would be if I just wanted to put a bullet in the thing. But, I decided to get it fixed and probably sell it.

Dive-Tronix will service your computer for $150. This isn't the first time Richard repaired my Perdix, but it was the first time the damage was my fault. For those who don't know, you receive what looks like a new unit in a new box after service.

My first depth gauge in 1981 cost $10. I purchased my first computer, a UWATEC in 1990, my second computer around 1995 when I became a nitrox instructor. It was a Dive Rite Bridge II. I don't recall what I paid for them now. I bought the UWATEC on Bonaire and the Bridge II in cave country. My third computer was a Dive Rite Nitek 3 which was given to me by my TDI Advanced Nitrox instructor when he retired. I do remember paying about $150 for a digital depth gauge/bottom timer around 1999 after taking GUE-F.

Here we are at $1,200 for a computer and $370 for a depth gauge bottom timer. You know, freediving keeps you fit and is much sexier than scuba. It doesn't really require any of the apnea computers they are selling.
I don't think computers are absolutely necessary, but they are really convenient and they do make life easier. I bought mine used, so I saved a good bit of money. With a transmitter I'm at $753, but I should probably send it in for the $150 service sooner than later.

You know, freediving keeps you fit and is much sexier than scuba.

Just because the divers are sexier doesn't mean the sport itself is sexier....

A hot chick in a drysuit and rebreather, scootering around the U-869 or the E M Clark or similar.... I don't think anything in freediving touches that...

ps. It makes me SO happy to see you back on here! I am seriously looking forward to diving with you just as soon as we can make it happen.

Thank you for bringing this out. I doubt that many people do this. I may do it if I happen to be in Europe maybe after 5 years but I have had my iX3M 1 since 2017 and never needed any service and it is working fine.

I fear you may have missed my questions regarding Ratio computers from earlier in this thread. I was hoping you could answer. Mainly about the length of the warranty and whether it transfers with no issue to a second or subsequent owner.

Does the warranty (and upgrade pricing) transfer to a second owner, or is it a warranty only for the original owner? Does it require proof of purchase from an authorized dealer to use the warranty?

An extra $170 is completely wasted if the user is never going to get any value out of the extra "stuff" the computer offers. For that type of user, it is certainly not a "better value".

And if you really want to talk about value and investment protection, well, first, we need to know if the warranty is transferable and how long it is covered by the warranty, and then we also need to know what the resale value is on a used iX3M 2. I think resale value on a Peregrine is probably pretty high (as a percentage of purchase price).

If you buy a Peregrine, sell it later, and then buy a Perdix 2, how much money would you end up being out of pocket? If you buy a basic iX3M 2 and then upgrade it and then upgrade it again, how much money will you be out of pocket? Obviously, if you buy a Peregrine or an iX3M 2 and never upgrade either one, then you will be out an additional $170 to have the iX3M 2.... for any benefit?

Unfortunately, it does not have custom GFs or all of the standard Buhlmann functions available on the Peregrine and other SW computers, SurfGF, GF99... Even on sale, it is $170 more than the Peregrine. The transmitter will cost you another $450 with another $30 for a neoprene sleeve to hide the stupid lights. I have no doubts that these are perfectly good computers, just not for me.
The Ratio iX3M 2 PRO is a more advanced computer and IF you decide to go into tech diving you can upgrade the software for Trimix without having to buy a new computer, If not it's a great recreational dive computer that will last for years.The OP said he wants a air integrated computer and the Peregrine isn't one so why recommend it? He will have to buy a transmitter no matter which brand he buys, so that is a moot point. Maybe he will find the "stupid" lights useful for want they were designed for. A recreational diver doesn't have to be too concerned about custom GF's

I fear you may have missed my questions regarding Ratio computers from earlier in this thread. I was hoping you could answer. Mainly about the length of the warranty and whether it transfers with no issue to a second or subsequent owner.

No, not at all. I am just too busy now to dissect your statements and write my reply. I'll do it as soon as I can. Not just this thread, there is also another thread about Hydros Pro. I have to send you an update on your Christmas gift too, so funny.

Just because the divers are sexier doesn't mean the sport itself is sexier....

A hot chick in a drysuit and rebreather, scootering around the U-869 or the E M Clark or similar.... I don't think anything in freediving touches that...

ps. It makes me SO happy to see you back on here! I am seriously looking forward to diving with you just as soon as we can make it happen.
IMG_0564.jpeg

Hi all,
I am in the market for a new gadget.
A little background
Past computer was a grey Square Aladin which I bought new, so that might sow my age.
15 years ago, when they came out I bought a Galileo Terra (fully unlocked) to replace that. 10 years ago I bought a broken strap empty battery tec2g for 20 euro as a gamble second hand. It showed off to be a great buy and its been an excellent back-up. 5 years ago my dad quit diving for medical reasons(age) and gave me his Galileo SOL air integrated. The terra moved to back-up and the tec2g moved to my drysuit pocket. I have been the instructor with 2 computers "2? wow!"
For some reason I put of A.I. all this time and planned my air-dive, watched my gauge and did the third rule etc. But having used the Sol for some time (onlzy a few dives) I did like seeing the air pressure on the screen. Never tried difficult dives with it.
And then I had kids, instructing stopped, diving slowed down. I never felt the urge to get fully into the tech diving, do have Nitrox certs. Because I plainly cannot find the time to move myself to places I can use trimix, same goes for rebreathers, I find it a way to big investment in my kit for the fun dives I do. Very interesting this tech diving and I do read about this, but 10k for a reabreater on a 20m dive I can do with air or nitrox, No thanks. I have seen the industry change from divers to spenders, hobby-hoppers with big budget and simple kit was not good enough. I have been the diver with the old car, good kit that I abused for ears untill it fell apart (like the straps for my galileoˋs again) and then find a bargain with a closedown sales of a shop that went bankrupt or something like that.

So now what do I need from a Computer:
1 Reliability. (known brand, not some new chinese-these are great but will not support you-fancy stuff)
2 Long battery life (simple) rechargable or exchangable, preferably the latter.
3 Easy to read, those galileo had a massive screens and my eyes are not getting younger - they had light but now there are color screens, how does that affect the battery?
4 Buhlman, I think, as I might use my terra as back-up again.( please do not make this a rgbm vs buhlman thread)
5 I do not want to see code 505 on my screen when I f-up, get me safe out of the water instead, but not as the first one.
6 bluetooth, I felt bad when windows stopped supporting IR and I could no longer read out my dives. (any cheap tips to get them out)
7 I do not need CCR TRIMIX per definition and will not use this, don´t mind if it is included.
8 do I need Air Integration?
9 I was thinking about 500 Euro and I know Air Integration will bring it 300 up.
10 pre-war prices, where can I get them? did I mention budget - kids cost a lot too

Interesting computers I have seen so far:
Scubapro Luna 2 has AI but screen seems dim - a computer in line with what I currently own. No reviews found so far
Shearwater Peregine. Heard a lot about reliability and support of this brand, too bad there is no option for air. Yes the other one doe shave that but then I need to look at the price.
Galileo G2 on the more expensive side and, a little older, again in the line of what I have
Apeks DSX - fairly new & packed with options. expensive, they used to have a great computer when I bought the terra.
Aqualung i770r, looks nice but unfamiliar with their computers and do not know owners. Could be in the same camp of Mares & Cressi, which I would skip.
Suunto Eon - plenty of features. RGBM which also is re-known for workable in fundive situations, I heard very conservative and not that great support.
Would a vyper novo still do the trick? itś an oldy- see above EON but if you can find them with a POD they are about 500

Looking for feedback - tips and alternatives

Back
Top Bottom