Experienced diver wants a new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, Interesting that u got so many replys to your question, May I add this, if your interested, I have an Suunto Eon Core w/ Suunto transmitter, newly serviced for sale $650. US. Included charging cable, attached bungee straps & standard wrist strap. If your looking for used or second hand, reply and we can discuss at length. I bought a 2nd. computer for dive buddy & she quit, so now I have (2), needing only one. U can also contact me Email - L3.dbsscwi2gmail.com

Just because the divers are sexier doesn't mean the sport itself is sexier....

A hot chick in a drysuit and rebreather, scootering around the U-869 or the E M Clark or similar.... I don't think anything in freediving touches that...

ps. It makes me SO happy to see you back on here! I am seriously looking forward to diving with you just as soon as we can make it happen.
Thanks. I'm not planning to make it a habit. Posting I mean.

Hi Marc, I haven't read all the reactions, so maybe this info was already given. I'm also from The Netherlands and since this year I use the Eon Core. I absolutely love it! Best part is the always-on display which is very helpful in our dark waters when exercising rescue-ascends or other skills you'll need both hands with. It's also rechargeble and can connect via bluethooth. Only problem is the price... My previous computers were a Zoop Novo and a Vyper Air. The first lacked the air-integration, and the display wouldn't illuminate long enough. Problem with the Vyper was the lack of an illuminated display completely.

SP G2 - AI, rechargeable, configurable, awesome compass, divelogs etc.

Can you recommend a computer that never needs a service, not even once?
Yes please, that was something I did not add to the list. My laptop, tablet and phone don't need service, neither should my DC.
Never done that with any of my previous computers and not planning to do so on any future ones.

Yes please, that was something I did not add to the list. My laptop, tablet and phone don't need service, neither should my DC.
Never done that with any of my previous computers and not planning to do so on any future ones.
The only thing that needs replacing is the pressure sensor, but you'll know when/if that goes out.

I prefer user removable/rechargeable batteries, so there is o-ring maintenance and possibly a replacement.

Other than that, nada, zilch should be done.

Sure they do. All of those have internal rechargeable batteries. After a period of time, those will probably need replacing.

Same would apply to a dive computer. If it has a built in and/or non-user replaceable battery, it will need service at some point. Maybe it will be replaced by that point, otherwise will need service. So, look for computers with user replaceable batteries to avoid that step.

Apart from that, if the pressure sensor works then it probably doesn't "need" factory service. Might be a recommended interval, but probably not a firm requirement. Of course, dive computers get banged up a bit, so perhaps a refurbishment can bring it back to like new condition.

Sure they do. All of those have internal rechargeable batteries. After a period of time, those will probably need replacing.

Same would apply to a dive computer. If it has a built in and/or non-user replaceable battery, it will need service at some point. Maybe it will be replaced by that point, otherwise will need service. So, look for computers with user replaceable batteries to avoid that step.

Apart from that, if the pressure sensor works then it probably doesn't "need" factory service. Might be a recommended interval, but probably not a firm requirement. Of course, dive computers get banged up a bit, so perhaps a refurbishment can bring it back to like new condition.
Servicing in my vocabulairy means sending it to a dealer and having multiple parts replaced. - this is what I do not want.
Battery replacement is something I can do myself, if it is that difficult that the manurefacturere wants it back for this - for me it is a no - go DC.
Firmware is also something I want to update myself. having said that. if I have need a weekly update I start to wonder wat kind of engineer they had working onthe software to start with.
Regular interval service will need to specify what they will do that is required, otherwise it is a marketing returning sales trick. How often do you send your phone is for servicing?

The pressure sensors are "consumer grade" so they have tollerances to deviate. The house needs to be sturdy enough that I can drop if off my wrist by accident without worries. If you "bang up" your computer that bad that the sensor needs replacing, either the computer is not made well or you are a moron throwing your gear around and/or not looking after it.
Currently diving with 3 old computers (some second hand) and they are within 5cm from eachother.
I have a wish to replace them, but there is no need to replace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom