Fantasy Island...Here We Come!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard one repeat guest say they didn't trust him and they had the impression that Robert only looked out for Robert.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I STRONGLY disagree with that statement. I have known and dealt with Robert for years, and while he does have a strong personality, I can assure you that he was most concerned about his divers and wanted everyone to have a great dive experience. He dove with us on numerous occasions, and his enthusiasm never dimmed.

He, as the dive manager, should have dealt with some of the more egregious problems that I saw, problems that did not require money to solve.

And therein you have the reason for his dismissal...

Hi Cajundiva - how did you find Fantasy Island? I was there that week and was very disappointed in the resort and terrible service. The food was better after the change over but that was it. I couldn't recommend this resort to anyone.

Hi pamdiver -

I guess we have a slightly different perspective. While I was shocked at the service and resort before the changeover, having been there numerous times in the past (before the tenants ran it down so badly) I could immediately see the changes go into effect as soon as new management took over. But then I was talking to the managers and found out what was in store for the place. The improvement in food quality was absolutely immediate, but the other changes will take a while to implement. I know the new air conditioners and lighting were delivered while we were there. They had already started installing the new light fixtures, but I'm not sure how long it will take for the air conditioners to be installed. Did you not see all the new limestone they hauled in to repair the potholes in the parking lot and road? I know this was not a creature comfort, but a necessity :D

It's unfortunate we were not there to see the full extent of the coming improvements, but for the price we paid ($499/pp) I think that's what we had to give up. My understanding from management was that they were going to get these things done within two months. Since that is the length of the $499 special, I'm thinking that's why they were offering such a great price. I can't wait to go back and see what else has been improved at the resort. The thing we can ALWAYS count on is that the diving is going to be superb...the resort is evolving and it's always interesting to see what's next at Fantasy Island :D

Did you not see all the new limestone they hauled in to repair the potholes in the parking lot and road? I know this was not a creature comfort, but a necessity :D

That also is a matter of perspective. It may be a necessity for the vehicle suspensions and the catered expectations of other guests but I grew up with little and it would take a lot more than they dished out to dissuade me from going back. Now it is possible that I may become spoiled in the future. :idk:

I can't wait to go back and see what else has been improved at the resort. The thing we can ALWAYS count on is that the diving is going to be superb...the resort is evolving and it's always interesting to see what's next at Fantasy Island :D

I am having a very difficult withdrawal. We are going to Mahahual in March but I can't stop thinking about Roatan.

I am having a very difficult withdrawal. We are going to Mahahual in March but I can't stop thinking about Roatan.

I know, huh :confused: No matter how often we go, it seems to be all we can think about when we get home. We have traveled to some pretty amazing dive destinations (Great Barrier Reef, Fiji, Seychelles) and it's always fun to experience different places, but our hearts always go back to Roatan. I guess we consider it our "dive home" :wink:

reef tank , You judge people on others words and then repeat things you can not prove .You make statment on an man performace on a one week at at time snap shot of problems that he faced daily for years . he is my judgment of you . Loud mouth , gossip

reef tank , You judge people on others words and then repeat things you can not prove .You make statment on an man performace on a one week at at time snap shot of problems that he faced daily for years . he is my judgment of you . Loud mouth , gossip

You are correct. I should not have repeated what I heard, that was foolish. His job would have been very difficult through the years with little support. I wish him well.

You are correct. I should not have repeated what I heard, that was foolish. His job would have been very difficult through the years with little support. I wish him well.
I don't know much at all, but he has been thru so many owner and management changes over the 9 years I've known him, it must have been rough. I hope they reconsider in time.

I don't know much at all, but he has been thru so many owner and management changes over the 9 years I've known him, it must have been rough. I hope they reconsider in time.

Reconsider? DD...be serious. This was a good thing for Robert. Under Honduran labor law, he received a BUNCH of money for being let go...and he was pretty happy about it. He already has his own boat and will probably be running his own dive trips soon. I don't think there's any way he'd consider going back to Fantasy Island. So this is really one of those win/win situations :D

Reconsider? DD...be serious. This was a good thing for Robert. Under Honduran labor law, he received a BUNCH of money for being let go...and he was pretty happy about it. He already has his own boat and will probably be running his own dive trips soon. I don't think there's any way he'd consider going back to Fantasy Island. So this is really one of those win/win situations :D

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/introductions-greets/352306-roatan-diving.html#post5475726 :hm:

Back
Top Bottom