Farting in wetsuit - buoyancy Poll

Do you fart in your wetsuit, and does it effect your buoyancy?

• Yes! And it was like an Emergency Buoyant ascent! SCARY!

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Yes, but I was at the surface and the nasty beast rose through my neck seal and gassed me! *cough*

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Yes, I was way too positively buoyant, Not only did I need to vent the air in my BC, but I had to ve

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Yes, but I was out of the water. It left me looking like the Michellan Man (tm)

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • No Way!! Ewwwwww (And I don't pee in my wetsuit either) Sickos!

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • No Way! I'm a lady diver and Ladies DON'T fart! What nerve this guy has to ask!!

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GQMedic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Do you fart in your wetsuit, and, how does it effect your buoyancy?

The best poll I have ever seen on this board.........LOL

:approve: :warhammer

Oh, yeah!

-Dennis :wacko:

Geeze, I mention, in passing, the passing of gas in the "pee in the wet suit" thread not 10 minutes ago and look what happens.

You guys are sick I tell you sick!

It's also why I like this place,,,feels like home. :eek:ut:

A little humor never hurt anyone, keep up the good work.

I had a blast hammering this lil gem together! Things have been way too serious here in the last few days. It was fun.

-Dennis

This is actually an excellent exercise in physics and relativity. The gas , prior to expulsion, resides in the lower intestinal track. It is of a specific density and volumn. Therefore it has a measurable bouyancy index. Example, if you blow three times into a small balloon you have specific amount of air in a tight, confined area. If you put the same amount of air into a larger balloon, you stll have the same amount of air but in a less confined area. Once it is expelled into the wetsuit the only difference at this point is that the confined surroundings once containing the fart are no longer present. The volumn of gas is the same but in a much more dispersed condition. The permeability of the wetsuit comes into play at this point along with how tight the wet suit is.

Charles Lindburgh contemplated a similar question to kill time and stay awake when he made the non stop flight from the US of A to Paris. There was a fly in the cockpit of his aircraft and he wondered ....did the aircraft weigh more when the fly was flying...or did the aircraft weigh more when the fly was not flying? It has since been shown that the aircraft actually weighed more when the fly WAS NOT flying because when he was flying he exerted equal air pressure through out the cabin. When he wasnt flying his weight was directly in relationship with the aircraft at that point.

It would seem that the key and more important question would involve a Drysuit versus a wet suit. This is based on the permeability of the wetsuit versus the gas confining attributes of a dry suit.

Regardless of all the above....the most important point is....NO FARTS ARE NOT LUMPY..... You have just s***.

Once again proving....too much knowledge can be totally useless!!

I don't remember ever farting but i do burp a lot and when that happens it's just like Charlie and his uncle in Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory when they drink the fizzy stuff and float up towards the fan . . . . .I sink down when I burp . . .so if I farted I'd say i would float up, especially if I was wearing a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom