Fin Technique/Fit and Computers - Am I overthinking this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Lynne on the fins. I had the SeaWing Nova's to begin with and they hurt my knee so I switched to Twin Jets. One thing I can guarantee you is that when the current hits the fan you will wish you had a jet fin of some type and not the Twin Jets. I was caught in a hard current last year and now I am using Hollis F1's and do not plan to go back. It was a bear fighting the current in my Twin Jets. The Hollis F1's are a spendy fin so if money is a concern I would suggest either HOG jets or some other comparable jet style fin if you decide to change out your Nova's. The nice thing about the HOG jets is they come with spring straps for about the same price as the ScubaPro Jet fins without the spring straps. Good luck with your OW.

Thanks LowDrag, I have done more time in a pool with the Nova's and am sticking to them for now. I think with proper kick form they will serve me well for now.

I agree with Lynne on the fins. I had the SeaWing Nova's to begin with and they hurt my knee so I switched to Twin Jets. One thing I can guarantee you is that when the current hits the fan you will wish you had a jet fin of some type and not the Twin Jets. I was caught in a hard current last year and now I am using Hollis F1's and do not plan to go back. It was a bear fighting the current in my Twin Jets. The Hollis F1's are a spendy fin so if money is a concern I would suggest either HOG jets or some other comparable jet style fin if you decide to change out your Nova's. The nice thing about the HOG jets is they come with spring straps for about the same price as the ScubaPro Jet fins without the spring straps. Good luck with your OW.

Thanks LowDrag, I have done more time in a pool with the Nova's and am sticking to them for now. I think with proper kick form they will serve me well for now.

Cool...I hope they keep working for you. I expect to see some more posts about your OW experience...:wink:

Skipped reading all the answers but a quick skim appeared to be people suggesting other things.
Get hard sole boots like these (I forget what brand mine actually are for some reason):
Henderson Hyperstretch H2 Boots discounts on sale Henderson
The hard sole prevents foot flex so you can kick the crap out of the fins and none of the stress is put on your feet, and the armored rear heel and tall ankle provide support and make it impossible to feel the rear strap no matter how tight you get it. I had to go all the way up to an XL fin to get the boot to fit inside the pocket properly, its too thick to fit in whatever size you have now with soft boots and if it doesn't go fully into the foot pocket it puts too much of a load on your toes, plus the top of the too small pocket presses on the top of your feet which will get annoying fast as it cuts off circulation.

This is the closest I found on that site to what I have for fins though I have older models in 2 different styles:
Mares Avanti Superchannel Open Heel discounts on sale Mares

I am using Seawing Nova fins. When I do a flutter kick I find the fins hit each other as they pass. Is this pretty normal with most fins, is it just a matter of adjusting my leg position to not do that?
I have the same style of fins. It's just your legs that need adjustment.
After a while in the pool, my achilles tendon feels sore, I can feel the fin strap pressing on it (my girlfriend who is taking OW with me doesn't feel anything like that). Is that to be expected or is it an issue?
Sounds like your fins may have been sized too small for you. Either that or you have very sensitive heels.
The fit of the fins with 5 mm boots seems fine, but how much movement of the foot pocket is noticeable when in the water? I can feel some vertical movement (relative to the flat of the fin). Is a more flexible pocket that hugs your foot better?
You don't want your feet to flop around too much inside the fin pockets, or else you have wasted all your kicking energy without producing any propulsion. Some minor movements are fine but if your feet flop around inside the pocket then it's no good.
My girlfriend has the Scubapro Twin Jets (not the Max). I've tested them out and they do feel somewhat easier on the feet/legs. Any input on these fins? And are the Max versions much better or not worth the extra weight/price?
The Seawing Novas are very soft and easy to kick. Not as easy as the split fins, but pretty easy. Give it some times for your legs to shape up. I started out on split fins and I like the easy kick. The Novas gave me something that is fairly close to split fins but with solid fins design.

I'm looking at getting an Oceanic Veo 2, seems like a fairly decent computer for a beginner. Anyone know of any issues to note? Any suggestions of alternatives in the < $350/400 range (I've considered the Mares Puck Pro, but the one button interface seems likely to be aggravating...)?
Most dive computers are a pain in the ass to navigate. Only some very recent ones are user friendly with the interface (Atomic Cobalt is a good example). Don't know anything about the Veo but Oceanic computers tend to be pretty good.

People talk of the conservative nature of the Suunto's, but it seems they are used all over the world by all levels of people. How much does that really impact a recreational diver who is just starting out?

Thanks!

Conservativism is good. It's that much of a safety buffer to keep a diver fron NDL. HOWEVER, the computer that really matters is the organic one between your ears. You don't need a conservative algorithm or some sort of alarm beeper going off so that you can stay well away from the Non-Decompression-Limit. If your computer were to tell you that you have 30-minutes of bottom time, then be "conservative" yourself by starting your ascension at 25-minutes mark.

Some people like to flirt with the NDL limit, I don't. I want to be an old diver and not a bold diver.

On a recent dive, I used two computers at the same time: Sherwood Wisdom 2 with the modified Haldanean algorithm, and the Hollis DG05 (VR Technology made) set with Buhlmann algorithm. The DG05 gave me a whole FOUR MINUTES less bottom time than the Wisdom 2. I'm sure that being able to spend another FOUR MINUTES of bottom time is very important to somebody, but it's not that important to me.

The Suuntos are fine. I don't find them to be all that conservative, and you can set varying degrees of conservancy.
I agree - I dive a Suunto as a backup against my Atomic Cobalt and the NDL's and ascent times/stops are pretty similar, if I get a minute or so of difference that i about all. I only changed because I liked/needed (old eyes !) the bright large screen on the Atomic. P

I agree - I dive a Suunto as a backup against my Atomic Cobalt and the NDL's and ascent times/stops are pretty similar, if I get a minute or so of difference that i about all. I only changed because I liked/needed (old eyes !) the bright large screen on the Atomic. P

That's because both of those computers use RGBM for algorithm.

For the computers, I am now considering going up in price a little to get a better overall package. The Suunto Vyper is available around USD 450 including the data cable. Anyone see any issue with that device? I am averse to going with a used comp as a first device, and while the tech geek in me wants something high end, it seems clear that it is unnecessary.

A high end computer is unnecessary for you (and me :D)for quite some time yet.
Pretty much any low end model will be fine but make sure it has two things.
1: Nitrox (EAN) capability 21% - 40%
2: A true Bottom timer mode

Use a basic computer whilst learning to dive and learning what you actually need/want from a high end computer. The Nitrox ability means you won't outgrow the computer just by becoming basic nitrox certified. If you start to do tec courses at some point you'll probably learn by planning dives and diving a pre-cut dive plan / table. That is where the bottom timer mode comes in useful, you won't 'bend' the computer if you exceed it's limitations when running a dive according to a different decompression algorithm.
Then if you later buy an 'Advanced' computer you still have a useful bottom timer as a backup device.

I dive a Veo 2.0
It was my choice because of the big digits.
Another + is the possibility to choose the decompresasion model (DSAT or Z+) to match your buddy asclosely as possible.
The Veo is a good computer for conservative recreational diving, taking it to its limits will keep you in the water longer than others (using DSAT)
You might want to read A sense of algorithm - Divernet it might give you a littel insight what algorithms are about.

Hey everyone, sorry I've been a little silent, life outside diving has been taking up time :)

Thanks for all the additional input on the computers. I may try renting out a few different types to see how I like the different models etc. The local shops I would rent from have decent options that should give me a taste.

fnfalman, thanks for the input on the fins. I think, as you noted, it's about my kicking. I'll build up my strength and see how that works for me. I agree with the old vs bold diver options :)

Back
Top Bottom