First Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matejmiklanek

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I've been reading forums and reviews for last 2 weeks about dive computers and I have more questions then answers. I am recently certified diver and realized that a dive computer is a must. I am only at 25 dives, working on my 100 dives to get better in buoyancy before I go into technical diving. However for now I am just AOWD with rescue diver certification. I like "deep" dives. Hopefully I'll be soon able to go to 40m-50m wrecks, and later on I'd like to do cave diving and exploration for which I will definately need better computer later.

From what I read up till now I need a computer, looking at my current experience level, with trimix mode and definitely gauge mode. I'd like backlight and "readable display" for no visibility dives as I am an in-land / lake diver. For some time I'll be working on my diving skills so technical diving is not an option for me for two years at least as I need to get the skills first and my 100 dives. I will be going for side mount training and trimix as my next training.

Which diving computer would you recommend for me? I was thinking small such as Mares Smart (like the display), Suunto Zoop (I just like Suunto), Suunto D6i...

Many thanks

Hi:

Since you intend to do technical diving in the future (e.g.: > 130 feet deep, cave), and you want trimix and gauge mode to start with anyway, any reason not to get a technical computer? In the U.S., people often recommend the Shearwater Perdix, but I don't know what's available in your area. Your dive plans aim for diving beyond anything I've done; I'm just asking if you really want to buy a 'recreational' computer now, then later spend more money getting a tec. diving computer, and have to learn the new interface. Why not get what works for both & start familiarizing yourself with it from the start?

Richard.

I agree with drrich2. There is nothing wrong with recreational diving but if you truely know you are going tech *in the near future* then spend the money on the tech DC. A number of tech computers now support a 'recreational' mode (which really are not much more than the 3 minute safety prompt, and a simplified display screen for the dive and nitrox mix displays) if that is your preference, but if you are thinking 'tech' then a DC telling you to do a safety stop is a bit ho-hum because your shouldn't need to be told that, right?

There are a few choices out there but I settled on the Shearwater series when I decided to go tech. Paid a lot, even used, but didn't regret it. My second Predator was 60% the cost of the original, again used, because everyone was going to the Petrels. Now you can get Petrels/Petrel2 on the used market as everyone jumps to the Perdix. The neat part is that they are all great computers with intuitive operation and Shearwater is a great company for support of their DC's. I don't want this to become a 'my computer is the greatest' thing. I hear great things about a few other brands as well. My point is don't discount the used market. Great saving to be had.

Whatever you buy, I would suggest:

* Unless you are in a cash position to buy a tech DC now (or get a great deal) recognize a lot can change in 2 years. That means more good used DCs on the market when you are ready to purchase.

* Plan to end up with two DC's for tech when you go there (and probably more). They need to be backups for each other which means running the same deco alg and its great when they all operate/function the same way. Personally I think the decision I made to buy a used Predator, while still a rec diver, and then stay with the Shearwater line worked because Shearwater made the effort to standardize their line. I mix/backup my Predators with my Perdix with no significant feature loss/change.

* ignore 'Air Integrated' DC's. Ok for recreational (I have three myself from when I started diving) but I found I had SPGs added to my regs and used those more. AI is a non-starter in Tech.

* Active colour displays are a must. Spent a few years using monochrome LCD displays and it was a royal pain in dark water. Just not worth it.

I understand your points and I think they are valid. It is something to think about for me. The reason why I am thinking recreational comp is that for 2 years at least I will be diving as a recreational diver and wanted to start with something smaller / cheaper which would be programable for two gasses.

My assumption is that 2 years is a long period to have Shearwater without using it to it's full potential. I mean diving recreational stuff with Sharewater is a bit overkill and when the time comes - during my tech. traning I can get a new Sharewater and sell my recreational DC.

I like your thinking. A lot of things can change in two years ranging from your attitude to deep diving and what tech computer is on the "bleeding edge of technology".

I have to vote with the Shearwater crowd here. Since I started diving again 4-5 years ago, I've tried a few computers, suunto, uwatec's and xdeep, but after I got my Petrel 1, I have not been looking back. First of all, it's as advenced as you want it to be. Rec mode works fine. Second, during night dives, or in dark water or poor viz, the screen is great. Easy to read, and can to some degree be set up to your preferance. I bought mine second hand 2 years ago, and it has been flawless, except for and easy-to-do battery replacement. And there are now plenty of used Petrel 1 and 2's on the marked. Even if you later decide just to stay on the rec track, you will have a great computer.

Joachim

Buy what you need now and for the next couple of years. Don't buy based on what you will need in two or more years especially when it comes to dive computers!

Two years is a long time in dive computers' age and I am certain that in two years things will change enough that you will still spend the money again even if you buy a "technical" computer now. One example of what is changing rapidly is battery technology and what you buy now is going to be ages behind what will be available in the future.

One other factor to consider, you will probably still be doing recreational diving when you are finally qualified as a technical diver and thus you will need two dive computers, one for recreational diving and one for technical diving (I have two separate setups myself, one for technical and one for recreational diving; right of storage room is recreational and left is technical and the two don't mix :) )

Buy what you need now and for the next couple of years. Don't buy based on what you will need in two or more years especially when it comes to dive computers!

Two years is a long time in dive computers' age and I am certain that in two years things will change enough that you will still spend the money again even if you buy a "technical" computer now. One example of what is changing rapidly is battery technology and what you buy now is going to be ages behind what will be available in the future.

One other factor to consider, you will probably still be doing recreational diving when you are finally qualified as a technical diver and thus you will need two dive computers, one for recreational diving and one for technical diving (I have two separate setups myself, one for technical and one for recreational diving; right of storage room is recreational and left is technical and the two don't mix :) )
So which recreational computer would you recommend?

So which recreational computer would you recommend?

I'd look at Oceanic, Scubapro, Suunto.

First step isn't what brand or model, first step should be what features do you want in the computer and then you go to what model/brand to be able to make an informed decision.

Two years is a long time in dive computers' age and I am certain that in two years things will change enough that you will still spend the money again even if you buy a "technical" computer now.

Interesting thought; what's the likely duration of ownership before upgrade of a dive computer purchased today? Some people use them a very long time. But I was under the impression that the Shearwater line, Predator to Petrel to Petrel 2 to Perdix was such that people didn't tend to automatically upgrade to the latest and greatest, because what they had was quite capable and the user-changeable battery situation with common batteries and lasted quite awhile was satisfactory.

I don't own a Shearwater or any tec. computer; the above was the impression I gleaned from reading posts by some who do.

My assumption is that 2 years is a long period to have Shearwater without using it to it's full potential. I mean diving recreational stuff with Sharewater is a bit overkill and when the time comes - during my tech. traning I can get a new Sharewater and sell my recreational DC.

That's an option, but in total you will likely spend more money, and when you switch to the technical computer, you won't have the the option to already know how to use it. Shearwater includes a recreational (nitrox) mode; while the computer is capable of much more, how many of us use even our recreational computers to their fullest?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom