first dive "dry"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawkeyegregg

Registered
Reaction score
I did my first "dry" dive today. The "dry" is in quotes because from the waist up I was soaked, wringing, dripping wet and nothing below that. The funny thing is that I was quite toasty for most of the dive and in the comfort zone the whole time. I didn't even know I was that wet until I got out of the suit. I thought I just got a little seepage. I added 10lbs putting me at 39lbs and had a fair bit of trouble getting down so I'll add another 5lbs for the next try.

I have a neoprene suit with neoprene seals and based upon the concentrations of water I am guessing I'm leaking primarily at the wrists. The suit is used but the seals look fine my wrists are just smaller than usual for a person my size. My question is what do people think of the apollo bio seals? It seems like they may be just the ticket. I'm not terribly concerned if I can stay as warm as I did in 39 degree water with such major leakage but it would be nice to be a bit more on the dry side.

About all that wetness... Make sure you undergarments are clear of the seal area when you roll them in. If a cuff gets in there it will wick water right in. With no place to go and good garments it can be easy not to notice it. You did have your seals rolled back under themselves, right?

I made my 13th dry dive today and you learn to watch the details when gearing up. It's not as forgiving as a wetsuit but it adds to your capability.

Congratulation on the new suit.

Pete

Thanks for the hint but I'm 99% sure the garments were clear. I will make sure to double check this in the future though. I did have the cuffs rolled in.

I have a bioseal for the neck, I like it just fine, try throwing some rubber bands around your wrists. Quick and effective fix.

If you're not afraid of some DIY you can also cut a section out of a neoprene seal and then rebond the ends to make it tighter. Just locate the existing glue seam on the seal and cut out a triagular portion either side of it (so you don't end up with 2 glued joints).

I did this with my neck seal which was too large for my skinny neck. It worked pretty well.

Also neoprene seals do stretch a bit after a few dives, so if you currently have problems with your wrist seals, it isn't likely to get any better.

My first guess is that the zipper was not fully closed. Make sure that the pull is firmly against the rubber stopper at the end of the zipper.
ALso as suggested above. The neoprene seals have to be rolled back under themselves.
Good gloves should help seal the wrists even more, as a good hood will help around the neck.

Hawkeyegregg:
I did my first "dry" dive today. The "dry" is in quotes because from the waist up I was soaked, wringing, dripping wet and nothing below that. The funny thing is that I was quite toasty for most of the dive and in the comfort zone the whole time. I didn't even know I was that wet until I got out of the suit. I thought I just got a little seepage. I added 10lbs putting me at 39lbs and had a fair bit of trouble getting down so I'll add another 5lbs for the next try.

I have a neoprene suit with neoprene seals and based upon the concentrations of water I am guessing I'm leaking primarily at the wrists. The suit is used but the seals look fine my wrists are just smaller than usual for a person my size. My question is what do people think of the apollo bio seals? It seems like they may be just the ticket. I'm not terribly concerned if I can stay as warm as I did in 39 degree water with such major leakage but it would be nice to be a bit more on the dry side.

I have the same problem with my wrist seals, my wrists are just a little small. Until I get them replaced with smaller ones (still new) I cut the cuffs from an old pair of wet suit gloves and place them over the wrist seals. Dry as a bone now.

Back
Top Bottom