First Dive with Uwatec SmartPro Wrist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a bit daft....but does this mean that I could download to from my uwatec x nitro to my palm 515m? Or do I not have the right gadget models to get this to work?

And if it would work. Can you tell me how to do it?
(Please use simple terms and small words. I'm not an engineer. I'm blonde instead.)

PennyPue - If I am not mistaken you can download to your Palm M515, but you will need a homemade downloader. I do not think that your Aladin has the IR capability (but I could be mistaken here, don't quote me on that one...)

It is fairly easy to make a downloader (or get one made) all it takes is some (very) basic soldering skills and a nearby Radio Shack. If you don't feel comfortable making it, you could check out a computer shop, electronics repair shop or the local community college for someone who could assemble it for you.
Look here for more information: http://pakuro.is.sci.toho-u.ac.jp/aladin/paladin-e.html and http://www.muenster.de/~matthias/aladin/indexe.htm

Thanks BLT,
Would VERY basic soldering skills extend to those who have never done it before? :D
Actually, I will haul my resident technogeek (18 yr old son) down the the local radio shack for a mini shopping spree. (this ought to hold his attention for all of five minutes.) I've sent him the links and we'll see if he's interested. THANKS!!!

(And no, my uwatec does not have the IR. poopoo)

pennypue:
Thanks BLT,
Would VERY basic soldering skills extend to those who have never done it before? :D
Actually, I will haul my resident technogeek (18 yr old son) down the the local radio shack for a mini shopping spree. (this ought to hold his attention for all of five minutes.) I've sent him the links and we'll see if he's interested. THANKS!!!

(And no, my uwatec does not have the IR. poopoo)

I can solder it for you, worked sometimes with my dad who was a master electrician/computer games board repairman.

*@^#
You're useful!

A couple years ago, I made one of the simple download only interfaces (ie I can't program anything on my Uwatec with it) and then sent Matthias the Radio Shack part numbers and prices for the stuff I used, it should cost less than $10 to make. He put it up on his downloader page http://www.muenster.de/~matthias/aladin/building.htm and just to make things even easier for you, this is the list from that page:
Radio Shack Part # 's:
- UA741CN : 276-007 - price $0.79 each
- SOCKET for IC : 276-1995A - price $0.59 for 2
- Resistor 1/4 Watt, 22KOhms : 271-1339 - price $0.49 for 5
- Diode 1N4148 : 276-1620 - price $2.29 for 50
- 9-pin sub-d female conector : 276-1428A - price $1.49 each
- hood for sub-d : 276-1513 - price $1.49 each

Even horrible soldering like mine can work. The whole circuit is just a small amplifier that takes a small signal then amplifies it using power from the serial port.
I use the center pin from BNC connectors (without the outside part) to make the connections onto my Uwatec and actually ran two red wires so I can just plug in one red wire and use the other to make the connections (which is much easier than using your fingers). I then used an old film cannister with a hole cut in the top to stuff my interface. The interface works great on a PC with a serial port and it also works on my laptop where I had to buy a serial port adapter that plugs into a USB port (since the computer doesn't have a serial port). To run it to my Palm Pilot, I need to use a gender changer and a Null-Modem connector, which is all explained in the websites.

BLT:
To run it to my Palm Pilot, I need to use a gender changer and a Null-Modem connector, which is all explained in the websites.

WHAT?????
I like being a girl just fine, thank you!!!

And I have absolutely no idea what a Null-modem connector is, and I'm beginning to think that I don't want to know either!

pennypue:
WHAT?????
I like being a girl just fine, thank you!!!

And I have absolutely no idea what a Null-modem connector is, and I'm beginning to think that I don't want to know either!

The Null-Modem connector is a little connector that plugs into the end of your cable that swaps the position of two of the wires. It "changes" your serial cable to a modem cable. They are a common RadioShack item that costs a couple bucks. THe downside of (at least the one I used) is that meant I had two of the same types of plugs trying to plug together, hence the need for the gender adapter. The Null-Modem adapter is used so you can plug your cable into fittings that are looking for data on different pins of the connector. On Matthias' page there are several ways of doing this, including a downloader that just used two different plugs on the end so you could plug one into a PC or the other one to the Palm.

BLT:
The Null-Modem connector is a little connector that plugs into the end of your cable that swaps the position of two of the wires. It "changes" your serial cable to a modem cable. They are a common RadioShack item that costs a couple bucks. THe downside of (at least the one I used) is that meant I had two of the same types of plugs trying to plug together, hence the need for the gender adapter. The Null-Modem adapter is used so you can plug your cable into fittings that are looking for data on different pins of the connector. On Matthias' page there are several ways of doing this, including a downloader that just used two different plugs on the end so you could plug one into a PC or the other one to the Palm.
:D
BLT, thanks for the simpleton explanation. NOW I get it!!!
Still haven't gotten my son's commitment to assist me with building the gadget (doohickey, thingamajig). :dance:

Back
Top Bottom