First Post, Equipment Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's close but not quite true. It is true that there are anywhere from 2 to 4 different price levels that a dealer can generally work their way into based on the amount they purchase from a particular manufacturer, but in almost every single case, the MAP price and/or the MSRP price never changes no matter what. And in 100% of the case, this price is NEVER lower than any of the dealer cost prices at any level. And any dealer who says this, just simply isn't telling you the truth.

I come from the manufacturer end of the business before here. The pricing is structured to give the most fair playing field possible to ALL dealers. They can choose to or not to get the pricing structure they want. And granted some store might not do enough business in a particular brand, but where do they stand with their "favorite" brand?

Let's see if I understand you correctly. If a regulator has a MSRP of $500. For a shop who sells 1 or 2 a year they might pay $450 for the regulator (let's call this dealer1 pricing). A larger shop might buy the regulator for $425 (dealer2 pricing). A bigger shop might buy it for $400 (dealer3 pricing). Really big shops might buy it for $375 (dealer4 pricing). What you are saying is that no one can sell it below $450.

I've heard that some manufacturers do this. Scubapro is one of them. I was under the impression that not all manufacturers do this however. If the manufacturer does not restrict the shop's pricing, the really big shop can sell the regulator for $400. They still make a profit but all the other stores cannot beat the price.

Are you saying that ALL manufacturers restrict shops so that they must sell equipment above dealer1 pricing?

I ended up going with my local shop. They guarantee no missed dives (free rental equipment if yours has a problem they can not resolve before the dive), are being very helpful as I am learning more about my equipment, and arranged pool time for me to test and aquaint myself with the equipment. Also allowing free pool time for continued practice on skills a year later:D I really appreciate feeling that I can count on experienced staff to double check things for me while I grow my confidence and skills.

My personal opinion is to wait for a while before you buy your gear. If you buy it now it will be on craigslist or ebay within a year because you will have found something you like better. Rent gear, borrow gear, and talk to other divers about there gear and why they like it so much...

When you coming to Florida? Where?

Happy Diving

Decisions, decisions, none of which will change your life, about gear
you may be very impressed with for very many years, unless you're
deciding to rent, which precludes you from diving, and costs $$ you
unnecessary $$$$$$$$$$
expenditure

That should be reserved for houses.

SO you can wait in line where the big men hang out
with your hand in your pocket, to go pooling, in the
shop where he :reaper: lives and :angrymob: customers are:chicken: frightened to go until time ends

or you can just find another cubicle

and just do it and go :goingdown:

Some shops will let you rent gear then apply some or all of the rental toward your purchace. At least you can try some different gear before you drop a bunch of money on kit...

So I went to my LDS with a quote from Leisure Pro and got a special deal. I got the Mares Dragon BCD, Abyss reg, Prestige octo, and Mission Puck 3.

Decisions, decisions, none of which will change your life, about gear
you may be very impressed with for very many years, unless you're
deciding to rent, which precludes you from diving, and costs $$ you
unnecessary $$$$$$$$$$
expenditure

That should be reserved for houses.

SO you can wait in line where the big men hang out
with your hand in your pocket, to go pooling, in the
shop where he :reaper: lives and :angrymob: customers are:chicken: frightened to go until time ends

or you can just find another cubicle

and just do it and go :goingdown:

Can this person not be banned?

Yes, knowone could do that quite simply?

I will attempt to ask him, beerpbeelopilk........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom