First regulator please read

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you guys think dry valve technology is a gimmick? I don't see that aqua lung Titan has that.

Also do you need two high pressure ports or is one enough?

My only hesitation on getting a hog is none of my local dive shops sell hog so I doubt they woud service them

Do you guys think dry valve technology is a gimmick? I don't see that aqua lung Titan has that.

Also do you need two high pressure ports or is one enough?

My only hesitation on getting a hog is none of my local dive shops sell hog so I doubt they woud service them

I don't know what dry valve technology is, maybe it's fancy term for environmentally sealed.

Anybody who services Apeks should be able to service Hog.
You may need to provide parts. Feel out your LDS and see if they will do it and their overall attitude towards such a proposition.

If you choose to go with whatever your LDS sells and services then it won't be as easy to get into alternative brands.
Part of the reason some of these alternate companies sprung up that sell stuff at reasonable prices and sell parts to the consumer is because they see a market selling to the tech world and DIY divers that have been left cold by the political structure of the LDS and the big mainline companies. Some divers have numerous sets of regs and to have to send them into an LDS annually would kill them in the wallet. This also becomes a great opportunity for recreational divers with just one reg set to get in on the savings, especially in this economy.

Any brand will work it just depends on which route you want to go after you buy the reg and who you choose to support.

Many name brand companies don't make their own regs, they outsource that stuff so they can have a complete line.
I'm not sure about Tusa, but I don't think they make their own regs.

Last edited by a moderator:
DVT sounds super interesting as when the tank runs out of air the regulator seals itself shut so dirt and water don't get in there during transport. I just don't know If its a gimmick.

Another factor to consider with older regulators is their HP ports were 3/8” rather than 7/16, so you will need an adapter to add a new HP hose or pressure transmitter for some computers. Most new first stages have two 7/16” HP ports.

Especially for a new diver, there is a lot to be said for unbalanced first stages though. Aside from being the least expensive; they are extremely reliable, simple, and have one of those good/bad engineering characteristics. Their performance at low tank pressures is not nearly as good as a balanced diaphragm or piston, but you get lots of warning of low tank pressure from gradually increasing inhalation resistance. Good balanced first stages let you suck your tank down to the IP pressure (over bottom) before noticing, at which time you only have a few breaths left in the tank.

DVT sounds super interesting as when the tank runs out of air the regulator seals itself shut so dirt and water don't get in there during transport. I just don't know If its a gimmick.

I don't know, it sounds kind of like a gimmick to me.
If I'm on a boat and they are refilling the same tank for each dive, then I undo the reg from the tank carefully so no water drips in to the first stage. I make sure my thumb is dry and place it over the air inlet on the reg and blow out any water from the dust cap with air from the tank valve, then put the dust cap on the reg and It's fine.

If I'm returning from a local shore dive then I'll leave the reg on the tank and leave it charged. When I get home from diving I soak the tank with reg attached (still charged) and no water will get into the first stage. Before disassembly I make sure there is no water around the reg opening before I disassemble it. I use the same technique, thumb over the opening and blow any water out of the dust cap with air from the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the DVT technology per my readings. Not too sure about that particular first stage, as scuba.com pairs it with a CDX5. Any help/thoughts/insight here?

Also what are your thoughts on TUSA regulators?

The "DVT" gizmo is basically a ball on a spring that sort-of-seals the 1st stage inlet in the event that you forget to replace the dust cap. IMO it's a gimmick, just another of the many solutions-to-nonexistent-problems that the dive gear industry is so fond of. In fact, if I had one, I would just remove it. It is a potential restriction between the tank and regulator, EXACTLY where you don't want one, and it makes inspecting the filter on the regulator inlet difficult. When the regulator is in use, pressure equalizes between the HP chamber of the reg and the tank valve, so the DVT is closed. It opens on each inhalation. There have been cases of it making some noise as the HP air passes it.

To make matters worse, it apparently does not really seal the inlet, so if you soak your reg with the cap off, you'll end up with the possibility of water in the 1st stage anyhow. Just put the cap on and you'll be fine.

TUSA regulators are essentially older-design scubapro that are released by TUSA (Tabatha USA) after the exclusivity contract with SP has expired. SP contracts with Tabatha to build it's regs in europe. I don't know if all TUSA regs are SP designs, but many are. I believe some of the repair parts are interchangeable. I have never owned one or worked on one. Some of the older SP designs, in particular the balanced piston first stage, are among the most successful in modern regulators, so that's a good sign.

ozorowsky,
TUSA (TABATA USA) makes excellent regs, but they are not very popular in the US, particularly when compared with Scubapro (although they do/did manufacture many of Sp regs), Aqua Lung, or Oceanic.

Oceanic uses DVT, which is a pneumatically controlled closure device. Aqua Lung uses ACD, which is a mechanically controlled closure device in Titan LX and Legend regs. Of the 2, there have been fewer (if any) issues with the Aqua Lung system, which is held solidly open as long as the first stage is attached to a tank. Both systems are rather gimicky, not really necessary, and make it impossible to see the inlet screen. Of the 2, I would definitely pick the AL syatem.

I have had US Diver Reg for about 25 years,,, just now looking to buy new gear that is lighter. Plus I would have to put money into my reg.
It sure had been great reliable gear for us!

Hog/edge regulators are also very good and the price is a steal.

Couldn't agree more. I got mine for Christmas, which replaced my Scubapro. It is a smooth as butter breather and the price is perfect.

Couldn't agree more. I got mine for Christmas, which replaced my Scubapro. It is a smooth as butter breather and the price is perfect.

If I buy a HOG who will service it? (Sorry for all the questions) but I'm sure my LDS will turn me away as they aren't a HOG reseller right?

I live in Tampa, FL btw

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom