First time diving in Grand Cayman!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion, the shore dive at Sunset does not compare to Turtle Reef. I only dive it when turtle reef is blown out. Turtle Reef is my personal favorite shore dive on GC.
If there are silversides, Devil's Grotto becomes a much better dive than otherwise. I tend not to dive there as there seem to be a lot of cruise ship turkey divers on site because it is so close to Georgetown.

Haha turkey divers, that's a good one. I'm assuming when I go in July, there will be lots of silversides, but is there anyway of knowing beforehand?

If I dive at turtle reef, is it still worth going to the Turtle farm?

Obviously there's no guarantees. Typically:
the silversides add special dive magic during June, July and August.
Not always at Devils Grotto either, there's another site on the East End as well. Thrilling ?Silver Rush? an added Summer Dive Adventure in the Cayman Islands | The Scuba News

I don't personally like/support the Turtle Farm. Or the captive Dolphin encounter nearby.

In my opinion, the shore dive at Sunset does not compare to Turtle Reef.
Agreed but it's convenient to Eden Rock. And has all the other dive related stuff. Not sure I'd want to dive Eden Rock then drive up to Turtle Reef the same afternoon - both close around 5PM IIRC.

There's a few shops that can include Stingray City as a 2nd dive option but the majority have another boat stationed there so they tend to do it as an early afternoon dive. Some shuttle you over to the marina in a van also - I believe the three shops you listed would since two of them are based near downtown. And Neptune's picks up along SMB.

I will be heading to Grand Cayman in July for a few days, but I just wanted your opinions on my selection of dives.

I plan on doing two 2-tank dives and maybe a 1-tank dive if it is worth it.
1. USS Kittiwake and Oro Verde
2. Eden rock and Devil’s grotto
3. Stingray city (is snorkeling enough?)

What are your recommendations on dive companies? I was thinking of going with either Off the wall, neptune diver's, or deep blue divers for the 1st dive.
For the second dive, I was just going to go with EdenRock diving unless anyone else has any suggestions.
For the third dive, I don't know who I would dive with or snorkel with. Is captain marvin's a good snorkeling guide?

Any other 2-tank dives that people would suggest that differ from the dives I've already planned? I prefer diving not any deeper than 60 feet.

Though I've not dived the Kittiwake, an infinite number of better dives off Grand Cayman than you have listed. Find yourself a reputable operator and go with them. In July, you should easily be able to make the North Wall in addition to the Westside sites. Set your sites high. Personally, I would pass on the Stingrays.

I will be heading to Grand Cayman in July for a few days, but I just wanted your opinions on my selection of dives.

I plan on doing two 2-tank dives and maybe a 1-tank dive if it is worth it.
1. USS Kittiwake and Oro Verde
2. Eden rock and Devil’s grotto
3. Stingray city (is snorkeling enough?)

What are your recommendations on dive companies? I was thinking of going with either Off the wall, neptune diver's, or deep blue divers for the 1st dive.
For the second dive, I was just going to go with EdenRock diving unless anyone else has any suggestions.
For the third dive, I don't know who I would dive with or snorkel with. Is captain marvin's a good snorkeling guide?

Any other 2-tank dives that people would suggest that differ from the dives I've already planned? I prefer diving not any deeper than 60 feet.

Kittiwake is ok. Wish there was more growth on it when I dove it last yr, but a decent wreck to swim in and out of.

Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto were nice dives. I would go back again.

If you haven't done a stingray city kind of thing, you should do it at least once. I did something similar elsewhere. Loved it.

I would only dive ER and DG in the silverside season and make sure there are no cruise ships in town. I would skip the Kittiwake for now. But what I would do is get to the best part of Cayman diving and thats the wall diving. Don't worry about the 60 feet, 60,70,80 feet, they are all the same. They feel the same, your not unsafe if you drop below 60, your not gonna hit a thermocline, etc etc. Just take your time, remember your training, listen to the briefing and stay close to your buddy and DM and you will do fine. To me the wall diving is what brings me back to Cayman. Trust me, you will be glad you did.

I've done the wall dives in Cayman several times, and I loved the experiences.....I will say I only used a charter boat the first time--and was so appalled at the boat motoring out such a tiny distance, then dropping us for a very expensive charter fee....I found swimming out to the wall with snorkel, then doing the scuba dive was awesome on the way out and the way back in.....and unless you have absolutely no fitness, I can't see not wanting this little swim and sightseeing on the way in and out. The swim to the wall is extremely easy, even off of 7 mile beach.

What about Babylon?

Babylon is a fantastic dive and doable from shore but note that the original poster of this thread seemed to have limited open water experience.

we all need to be careful of what we are recommending. For a newbie, boat wall diving with a good operator or shore diving at a well established site where there is a dive operation present would be the way to go.

I would pass on the turtle farm. Been there and done that, won't do it again.

What about neptune's wall or orange canyon? Which one do you guys prefer and why?

Back
Top Bottom