First time dry suit user questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 on the drying hanger. Just got one, and it quickly does the job.

As for the other questions, not necessarily in order:

Never wash the inside unless a special situation dictates it.

Use a strap extender on my wrist computer, wearing it on my forearm.

Use just enough air in my DS to eliminate squeeze, using my BC for the most part. I do tend to use the Safety Stop to get all the air out of my DS, I can can make a very slow accent to the surface.

I roll and store my suit as TS&M explained.

Lastly, I started with a DS at about 75 dives. The first time is a humbling experience, especially a membrane suit. Just keep diving, and before you know it you'll be diving as if you were not wearing one. (Assisted with a drysuit class Sunday- this "humbling" feeling was discussed after the dive by the participants).

Terry

Invert and wash the suit every time you use it? The only time I invert my suit is if I flood it, and that's primarily to allow it to dry. I never wash the inside of the suit unless I have a p-valve malfunction. I hang my suit up after I dive, rinse it copiously with fresh water, let it dry and then store it with the zipper mostly undone so the condensation can dry inside.

I usually rinse the dry suit under a shower if it's available at dive sites or with a hose at home. Today I have noticed patches of crystalized salt in certain areas of the suit and I am wondering whether I should soak the suit in warm water or not.

I usually rinse the dry suit under a shower if it's available at dive sites or with a hose at home. Today I have noticed patches of crystalized salt in certain areas of the suit and I am wondering whether I should soak the suit in warm water or not.

Warm "like body temperature" would be fine. Avoid anything much warmer, since some suits use adhesives that will start coming off if they get hot.

Warm "like body temperature" would be fine. Avoid anything much warmer, since some suits use adhesives that will start coming off if they get hot.

AH! Thanks!

Now that this morning I 'flooded' the suit by forgetting to tuck inside the sleeves of my undergarment the thumb loops before wearing the neoprene gloves :shakehead:, it definitively needs a warm bath! When I realized that cold water was inexorably trickling inside my sleeves I was half way through the dive so I kept diving with my arms soaked.

AH! Thanks!

Now that this morning I 'flooded' the suit by forgetting to tuck inside the sleeves of my undergarment the thumb loops before wearing the neoprene gloves :shakehead:, it definitively needs a warm bath! When I realized that cold water was inexorably trickling inside my sleeves I was half way through the dive so I kept diving with my arms soaked.

Been there, done that! And mentioned it to numerous others, several who have checked their seals and removed the loop.

Terry

Been there, done that! And mentioned it to numerous others, several who have checked their seals and removed the loop.

Terry

That's what happens when sometimes I talk too much while suiting up. I loose focus on what I am supposed to be doing and...voila'! Well now the suit has been thoroughly washed and there are not more salt crystals!:)

Back
Top Bottom