First time dry suit user questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tried "diving" in my new dry suit (Santi E.motion) the first time in a pool last Saturday. It was a humbling experience, like learning how to dive all over again, and was frankly harder than I thought it would be. Thankfully I think I learned to manage by the end of the session.

Have some questions I hope more seasoned drysuit divers can help me with.

1) My suit has the Sitech Antares ring system fitted, and I'm using silicone wrist seals. Where do I wear my watch? I'm afraid of damaging the silicone seals, and the sleeves are too big to wear my watch on.

2) Do I really have to invert the suit inside out to wash each time I use it? I live in an apartment and washing the suit was a real pain because of lack of space.

3) How do you get the booties to dry out faster? Especially the inside?

4) When transporting the suit, do I zip up the zipper all the way? How about when storing the suit?

5) Have a question on using the P-valve. If I do use it on a dive, how do I ensure that both the tube on the catheter as well as the tube attached to the P-valve is clear of fluid before I unplug it, when doffing the dry suit? The valve is rigged so that the catheter is in the 12 o'clock position.

6) What kind of vinegar is suitable for rinsing out the P-valve, and what is the percentage of vinegar to water? It's a Halcyon valve if that matters.

Thanks!

Most of your questions have been answered, but I'll address number#6.
I use spray bottles to flush the p-valve before and after diving. Just spray slowly, to ensure it all goes in the p-valve tubing.

I have a couple of spray bottles; one with 100% alcohol, and the other with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and alcohol.

Before and after every dive, I flush with the 50/50 mix, followed by alcohol.
I remember when I first bought a drysuit, I read a post by Lynne, about 100% alcohol not being fully effective.

So I switched to the two bottle method I just described.

Vinegar and alcohol won't harm your eMotion.

As for rinsing the suit. After diving, I just hang it up on the shower curtain rod, zip it closed, and spray the outside with fresh water.

You can also fill up the tub, put the suit on, and get in....but that isn't really necessary.
I've dove with Dive Alaska, in Achorage....and at that time they had a big, fresh water plastic tank. Divers would get in to rinse the salt water off of their dry suits....your bathtub at home achieves the same thing. But just spraying the suit with the corded shower head is plenty good enough.

Unzip it halfway, and let it hang dry. I never do anything to clean the inside, just make sure it's dry.
I never store it inside-out.

Congratulation on that eMotion.....awesome suit!

as you are learning try to keep as little air as possible in your suit.
Also, since the valve on the DS dumps air a lot slower than the BCD inflator valve or the bottom dump valve, anticipate buoyancy changes early. I prefer to dump all the air I have in my suit just before or during my safety stop and only use the BCD for controlling buoyancy during the ascent. At those depths, squeeze is quite tolerable and often negligible.

I certified in a dry suit, and after nearly 50 dives I've never had a runaway ascent. Not even during OW class (and our instructor told us that he expected us to have at least one). I've been close a couple of times, but a strong exhalation while simultaneously hitting the exhaust valve has done the trick. I assum I'll experience a runaway ascent some time in the future, but IMO keeping close tabs on buoyancy will definitely help to avoid it.

It's just a computer fan in the top.

The holidays are coming up. Put it on the list.

---------- Post added November 18th, 2013 at 11:49 AM ----------

Also, since the valve on the DS dumps air a lot slower than the BCD inflator valve or the bottom dump valve, anticipate buoyancy changes early. I prefer to dump all the air I have in my suit just before or during my safety stop and only use the BCD for controlling buoyancy during the ascent. At those depths, squeeze is quite tolerable and often negligible.

I certified in a dry suit, and after nearly 50 dives I've never had a runaway ascent. Not even during OW class (and our instructor told us that he expected us to have at least one). I've been close a couple of times, but a strong exhalation while simultaneously hitting the exhaust valve has done the trick. I assum I'll experience a runaway ascent some time in the future, but IMO keeping close tabs on buoyancy will definitely help to avoid it.

Also manually press the dump valve before each dive. You will probably do this anyway when getting the air out of the suit. Sometimes the rubber seals will stick together a little and keep the air from auto-dumping. Press the button before diving to make sure the seal is free.

Thanks, will keep that in mind.

I am concerned about my fins popping off. I was told during the short drysuit primer that if my feet feels loose in the booties, there's too much air, and that it's normal to feel a slight squeeze.

---------- Post added November 18th, 2013 at 02:13 PM ----------

Thanks for the tips! Glad to know I don't have to wash the inside. Have to figure out how to make a booty dryer!

On rolling the suit, I saw the Santi instructions and it says to roll it too. But I wasn't too sure how to roll it without stressing the zippers. I was also suspecting they might mean "fold" instead of "roll"...

On the isopropyl alcohol, will it damage the drysuit material if it comes into contact with it (the legs)? I'm guessing it'll overflow when I squeeze the contents of the bottle into the tube.

Thanks again!

---------- Post added November 18th, 2013 at 02:14 PM ----------

Thank you, very helpful!

---------- Post added November 18th, 2013 at 02:16 PM ----------

Being kinda broke after buying the suit, I'll see if I can bribe my bro-in-law to rig something up for me..lol
If you're worried about fins popping off, try fin keepers. I've never used them because my boots don't seem to fill with air much but I've heard excellent things about them.
I use wadded newspapers on the rare occasion that the insides of my boots get soaked. Just change out the paper every few hours and it will dry in about 24 hours, especially in a warm,dry room. Otherwise, I do try not to soak the inside of my drysuit. If I have a flood, I do rinse the whole suit,which did happen once.
For the watch, I switched to a bungee strap. Mine is currently DIY but I'm thinking about getting a DSS strap as they are really nice. Much easier and nicer than trying to buckle a plastic strap, especially when you have thick neoprene or dry gloves on. Plus, less likely to break,too. I hated my strap, especially the one on my Suunto computer.
I've never rolled my drysuit before, as I was taught a method of folding mine. However, I like the rolling idea. I was taught, when I was showing horses, to roll my western chaps with long zippers, to protect and prevent folds. I think rolling would work very well!

To the OP,
Assuming you have the flexsoles - take out the inserts in the boots and then let them dry separately.
Hang up the suit with boots hanging at the highest point. Leave for a while and then use a dry cloth inside the boot to clear off any wetness.

On your generic questions about feet first ascents, best idea is to use as little gas in the suit as you can bear but if you do find yourself rising by the feet (if your feet suddenly feel light - operative word here is "suddenly"), drop your head down and fin very quickly - do not delay do it quick then drop your right elbow to get your ds dump to the highest point and move your elbow up and down - with a bit of luck you should see gas being dumped but if not pull the lower kdney dump on your wing or BC ie bottom up and pull that dump (note I'm talking of both the dump and string) around to where it also is at its highest point :)

The key to all this is how quickly you react - time is of the essence. As soon as you feel floaty feet, act.

To practice, go vertical with your head down and try to piroutte around a fixed point - do this shallow to get used to the bubble migrating to the feet. With practice you'll learn to feel the bubble moving to your feet. BTW this is fun and you mind end up giggling a wee bit as it does take a bit of practice!

I also suggest you change your trim a little bit during your first training dives so that you experience the air bubble moving around - Horizontal trim is of course very comfortable but work towards being comfy in other positions too.

The first couple of dives take a bit of getting used to it so give yourself a bit of time.
I have an E-motion as well and I'm very happy with it - before long you won't realise you're even wearing it :)

You can use removable boot soles in the drysuit just like you would inside rubber boots (or in any shoe - these are just soles, NOT liners shaped like a sock). They absorb a lot of the moisture and may provide some insulation as well (more for standing in the cold & snow than actually diving).

When traveling (cramped quarters, little to no drying space) and diving 2x or more per day I have found that a small, folding travel hairdryer is small enough to get inside the boots and get them dry. I also bought some silica reusable dessicant cubes from an outdoor store. They can be a big help in getting drysuit feet & legs and even drygloves dried out overnight.

T
1) My suit has the Sitech Antares ring system fitted, and I'm using silicone wrist seals. Where do I wear my watch? I'm afraid of damaging the silicone seals, and the sleeves are too big to wear my watch on.

Thanks!
I have SiTech ring cuffs fitted and I wear my wrist mounted dive watch over the silicone seal - I have never had a problem in all the dives I have made. Only problem this causes is the watch is sometimes a little closer to the hand than is comfortable.

If of course you wear gloves then you need to make sure the watch will go over the cuff of the glove. I have a strap extender such as TS&M mentions - but don't use it unless I really can't fit it over my glove or wrist seal. - Phil

With the SiTech rings on my Fusion, there's no way I could or would want to wear an instrument on the seal side. I bought the DSS bungie mount for my computer and compass, and they fit nicely past the (big, round) rings. This way they're in the same spots regardless if I'm using wet gloves, dry gloves, or nothing. If I put them on the seal side, the rings would cover them up in use.

For storage, my Viking manual says roll it up with the zipper unzipped to avoid stressing it (so check the manual, it should tell you). I hang it by the boots to dry. If the boots are real wet, I will turn it mostly inside out and blow air in the boots.

To keep air out of the feet I use gaiters. The viking suit has a lot of room in the calves for thick undergarments and gaiters slow air flow and keep the space compressed so not too much air gets into the lower legs. I also use fin keepers to compress the attached boot. Works like a champ.

When I feel too much air starting to get in, I drop one foot then the other, and let the air come up to my waist/torso.

Back
Top Bottom