First time photographer photos at Anacapa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Empty V

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
So I got an Ikelite housing for my coolpix point & shoot, jumped on the Spectre on Sunday and clicked away until my batteries died. This is obviously my first time shooting stills underwater and I would greatly appreciate some advice for improvement. the first 3 dives I did solo dives and the last dive my buddy was Shah from Hollywood Divers. Two minutes into the last dive of the day Shah and I ran into an huge Black Sea Bass, 2 minutes later we ran into a pair of them, and on the way back we ran in to two more, each was alone. I think it was a total of 5 but it's impossible to tell. It was overcast all day so light was minimal. I snapped about 300 pics and due to the low light, my shutter speed was really slow, so lots of motion blur.

Please correct me on my species identification if it's incorrect.

Zooanthid Anemones
ZooanthidAnemones01.jpg

Does anyone know what this is?
Unknown03.jpg

1st Black Sea Bass we saw
SingleGiantBlackSeaBass03.jpg

Sand Sifting Star
SandSiftingStar05.jpg

Rose Anemone(even though it doesn't look like the kind of rose anemones I'm used to)
RedAnemone02.jpg

Is this a type of algae?
RedAlgae.jpg

Pair of Black Sea Bass, do the spots determine sex?
PairedGiantBlackSeaBass04.jpg

PairedGiantBlackSeaBass03.jpg

PairedGiantBlackSeaBass02.jpg

PairedGiantBlackSeaBass01.jpg

This Navanax Inermis was just floating around, it latched right onto my glove!
Navanax04.jpg

This sheephead was about 3' long
MaleSheephead09.jpg

My new dive buddy, first time diving with a California Sea Lion(Thanks Mark)
HarborSealExploring.jpg

This was the only time I used a light to shoot, I don't have strobes yet so I was holding my light cannon with my left hand while holding the camera with my right.
GreenandPurpleAnemonewithHID.jpg

I love gorgonians
Gorgonian09.jpg

A few more.
Perch and friends sifting through the sand looking for food. I sat in the sand on our first dive for about 10 minutes to see what would come out if I was unnoticed and the world changed. There were hundreds of fish all around me looking for food in the sand.
FishinSand06.jpg

Black Eyed Goby
BlackEyedGoby03.jpg

Christmas Tree Worms? They look just like Coco worms but smaller and white.
ChristmasTreeWorms02.jpg

California Sea Hare
CaliforniaSeaHare06.jpg

Thanks for taking the time out to look at my first time photos.

Billy

Damn you Billy!! Damn you to heck!!! LOL!!!

Not bad for first time, but you win the prize for those sea bass shots!!! 5 of those big boys?? FANTASTIC!!!!!!

very cool. the one that you did with your handheld light turned out really well. it is nice to see lighting from a different perspective that you don't normally see from underwater pics. nice job. i think a light will solve the blue colors too. did you Photoshop them at all?

I hope you don't mind but i PS'd this one. i think that may be the rose coral you may have really seen down there. maybe it is to rosy though

firecoral.jpg

Codyjp:
very cool. the one that you did with your handheld light turned out really well. it is nice to see lighting from a different perspective that you don't normally see from underwater pics. nice job. i think a light will solve the blue colors too. did you Photoshop them at all?
firecoral.jpg

Thanks Cody, I was so excited to get the pics up that I neglected to take them into PS and color correct them, nice work on the one you put up. Which tools do you use and what were the values that you applied to it? I know I'm asking a lot. I usually just color balance my photos, it's quick and easy.

Thanks

Billy

So these are color corrected, the zooanthid photo would have been so much better if I had used my light cannon or a strobe. The available light was so little that my lens was probably way open (no way to adjust on my camera) and my shutter speed was so slow that it felt that pictures were being erased as I was taking them, yay for motion blur.

RedAnemone02CCd.jpg

ZooanthidAnemones01CCd.jpg

i only adjusted levels and contrast. I tried to bring out the reds and subdue the greens and blues. as you know red goes first in water. i can't remember the values though. i am bad at not paying attention. i think the common idea is to use a red filter. Mo2vation has some really neat stuff that is color corrected, maybe you can check with him.

Hey Billy!
(So much for our Sunfish dive last weekend huh?)
Great job!
Anyway, two things that may help alot with that camera: see if you can shoot at 400 iso (or "speed" or "Tv" setting with speed at 1/60 or 1/125), and see if it has a "custom white balance" adjustment. The custom white balance will completely remove the tourquoise tint.
Of course strobes work the best, but they're $$$ and a total pain. :)
Great start!
See you on the Spectre sometime. (I'm going a couple saturdays in August.)
Taxgeek/Susan

Codyjp:
i only adjusted levels and contrast. I tried to bring out the reds and subdue the greens and blues. as you know red goes first in water. i can't remember the values though. i am bad at not paying attention. i think the common idea is to use a red filter. Mo2vation has some really neat stuff that is color corrected, maybe you can check with him.

Until the GSB pics, all my stuff was non-photoshop. All of the macro stuff is just strobes, DOF, Shutter and in-camera colors. In fact, I've been using the stoopid Olympus Camedia SW for everything until last month. On occasion I'll take down the brightness as I get a little carried away with the strobes (usually from getting too close to the macro subject.)

I just started shooting RAW... WOW what a diff. In RAW, WB isn't printed. That has changed everything, but really only in WA and CFWA. For Macro shots, I do essentially nothing but crop (if needed) and post. Everything else is in the camera.

But thanks!

Billy - next time we're together, lets walk through some stuff.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom