Fitz-Wright Dry Suit info wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin-D

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Can anyone give me information about Fitz-Wright Dry suits?
I've found a used one for a great price, but don't know anything about this brand.
I am going to have my LDS check out the suit before I buy it, but wanted some additional info.

BTW - Can the boots be changed to a different size on a used drysuit? What about the seals? (Neoprene - look to be in good shape to me)
I haven't taken a drysuit course yet, but am going to schedule one in the near future. Any tips about what to check on this suit would be appreciated.

Fitz-Wright was bought by Bare. So think of it as an old Bare suit :wink:. I have one and it works.

And boots and seals can be changed.

Edit: Given the age of the suit, double check the boots. If it is the same as mine, it used rubber boots and they are now falling apart. I will probably replace the boots next yr and keep the suit as a backup.

Divin-D:
Can anyone give me information about Fitz-Wright Dry suits?
I've found a used one for a great price, but don't know anything about this brand.
I am going to have my LDS check out the suit before I buy it, but wanted some additional info.

BTW - Can the boots be changed to a different size on a used drysuit? What about the seals? (Neoprene - look to be in good shape to me)
I haven't taken a drysuit course yet, but am going to schedule one in the near future. Any tips about what to check on this suit would be appreciated.

Fitz-Wright suits haven't been made for at least ten years now. I'd be real werry of buy something that old. Neoprene breaks down over time. When it breaks down it becomes a leaky sponge that soaks up water and lets the water come into the suit. It's a dry suit and there for needs to repell water and not soak it up. you can replace boots or seals if need be easyly.

hardhat:
Fitz-Wright suits haven't been made for at least ten years now. I'd be real werry of buy something that old. Neoprene breaks down over time. When it breaks down it becomes a leaky sponge that soaks up water and lets the water come into the suit. It's a dry suit and there for needs to repell water and not soak it up. you can replace boots or seals if need be easyly.

Thanks everyone for the info. The suit is old (1987) but was never used. It looks brand new. It shows no sign of dry rot or any other visible damage. It is a bi-laminated suit with neoprene seals and rubber boots. The inside of the suit is in pristine condition, as are the boots. There is no visible sign of breakdown on the seals, and they fit tightly. I'm taking it to my LDS today to have them go over it. I'll give it a test in the pool to see if there are any leaks. The zipper looks to be in good shape, it is a bit stiff though. The asking price is only $50.00 US, so it looks, so far, like an awesome deal. I'll let you know what my LDS says after they check it out.

Actually Bare is one of three companies owned by Fitzwright, Bare is mainly for their North American Markets according to their website. Drysuits are still manufactured by fitzwright, at least that what it says on the lable of my 2005 model

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom