Flying with Reg ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donooo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
OK Travelers,
I'am gonna catch a plane in Tijuana and fly to Cozumel with one plane change. (Mex City) Will I (or should I) be able to carry on my regulator or should I pack it away and hope it finds me in Cozumel?

almost adios, don O

donooo,
When flying commercial, I always carry my regs on board with me. I also put my mask in my carry on bag. Armour makes a nice regulator bag with a shoulder strap that you will be able to carry on even with today's restrictions on carry on's. You'll be allowed the standard carry on bag, plus one personal bag. American said they considered the personal bag to be a small diperbag or ladies handbag, something that size. Be sure and check with your airline for their interpertation of the rule. Hope you have a nice trip! Dive safely.:tree:Bob

Like Bob - I always carry my reg on with me. I've always had to show it at security - they haven't been able to figure it out in the scanner. Now a days I'm sure it's even more the case

We have always taken our regs and cameras in our carry-ons. However, we have not tried that since Sept. 11. On our way home from Hawaii, we packed our regs in our check-in baggage since we were homeward bound...we usually do that.

We will try to continue to carry on our regs in future, but are interested in hearing about others' experiences. Our next trip will be in Dec. to Coz, but we will fly directly from Houston to Coz, with no stops at any other Mexican cities.

Please let us know how your trip goes...

Joewr

Thanks for the comments. I guess I'am most interested in Post Sept. 11th as "things" have changed.

As this is a diving winter ( I want some experience to go with my dreams) I will be in Cozumel at least thru Xmas. Then time permitting Belize and the Bay Islands. I'am expected in Mazatlan the end of March. This otta cure me, one way or another.

O'yea, I'am starting in Mexico so I can fly one-way a lot cheaper.

tnx don O

The wife and I carry ours, along with our cameras. We have had to open them at every security checkpoint we have been through in the US. In the Bahamas they knew what it was in the scanner.

Let us know how the trip goes!!!

Enjoy

Tavi

don't know about since 9-11

Hey, Donooo,

Did I get all the "o's" in? Let me make some of my usual comments about Cozumel...in case you have not seen them.

First, please try the French Quarter for one of your dinners or lunches. It is owned and operated by an expat Cajun and is just great. You can eat either Cajun or Mexican there...and the seafood is fantastic in our opinions.

Second, take a look at the black coral art at Robert's. The work he does on sealife is wonderful. A lot of it is at the back of the store and it is like a museum. I have a couple of his things and would like some more. If he has any of his Splendid Toad Fishes on display, it will be a treat for your eyes.

Third, try the night dive a Chankannab. We still think that is one of the best we have ever done!

Fourth, enjoy, enjoy and enjoy!

Joewr

I was always told to carry my regs as hand luggage as you can't guarentee them ending up in a presurised hold - more recently because European carriers are so tight on baggage allowances we have taken to just have the first stage in the hand baggage.

I came out of Guam on Sept 16th and had no problems whatsoever with three first stages and an spg - they asked me to throw away a razor which when I told them I had packed it in my hold luggage they waved me through.....

Jonathan

Thanks Joewr, I've been taking lots of notes on Cozumel. I hope to use everybody else's experiences to make mine better.

Looks pretty unanimous, carry them on.

tnx don O

er, was that Dan'O?

I flew to and from Hawaii after the 9/11 incident. On both flights we carried our regs in our carry on bags. We had to open the bags up but the regs were no problem. DO NOT TAKE YOUR NAIL CLIPPERS IN CARRY ON THOUGH OR THEY WILL BE CONFISCATED.

Back
Top Bottom