free diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the breathup technique I used to break the 4 minute barrier. I was just over three minutes and then tried this and added a additonal 1:15 to my personal best.
Copied from Samdive at Deeper Blue.com

I always used to start with a really short one, get comfortable and work up. For ages I used this schedule

2 mins breath
1 min hold
2 mins breath
2 min hold
2 mins breath
3 mins hold
3 mins breath
4+ mins hold

I got a bit bored of how long that took and now find I can easily start on a 2 minute or even 2 1/2 minute hold but still don't get any longer on the last one

I have to build up to achieve the longer holds also. It really works. What's the physiology behind this technique working so well I wonder?

I was always tried to hold my breath to the max each time, and made some progress. But the first time I tried this breathup technique, starting with a easy short 1 minute hold and then going thru each step in the post, I added a full minute to my personal best. I believe its more than just a warmup exercise, I believe the slow approach triggers a delay in the desire to breath and starts conditioning the body for a high C02 level. I normallly got contractions at 2:00, but this pushed it back a full 45 seconds. I got my first contraction at 2:45, then they came steady at 3:15 and I just held on to 4:15 without too much discomfort. I think the apnea walks are also helping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom