"Freediving" wetsuit for SoCal Scuba...Does it matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tenover

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am just getting my PADI OW certification and want to buy a wetsuit after I'm done. I found one I REALLY like, but it's labeled as a "freedive" suit Body Glove | Store
Does it matter really if I use this suit for scuba and/or possible freediving later? I'll be diving about 90% of the time in San Diego if it matters...I just REALLY like the look of this suit, and have been wearing Body Glove wetsuits for a looooong time (+30 years) surfing. Thanks in advance.

Most freediving suits are made of a grade of Neoprene that is very soft and flexible. Unfortunately it does not hold up well against prolong compression and compresses more at depth than grades used for Scuba — thus reduced insulation and more weight change. Chances are pretty good that a suit with a camouflage exterior is made from one of these grades.

I am a fan of the typical two-piece farmer with pull-over jacket common on freediving suits, to the point I had a custom suit made of Neoprene suitable for Scuba. The majority of freediving suits do not have Nylon lining on the inside so they require a lubricant (diluted soap or conditioner) to put on. Many also use a “slit cell”, commonly but incorrectly called “open cell”, that inhibits water circulation in the suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom