Friendly and hopefully helpful Coz airport time share tip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotheaddiver:
Of course we are having a wonderful spring...It hit 100 degrees last Friday or Sat or both....whew......sorry for the hijack

Nah, It's summer now. Spring was Saturday and Sunday two weeks ago. Did ya miss it?

Hello All! I fell into the "Just listen for to the presentation and I'll get you a free hammock" speal in 2002 while staying in Playa del Carmen. I went and I was glad I did. We've been to Mexico every year since. It's been a great investment. I bought into the Allegro Vacation Club and it has saved me a bundle not to mention the savings for the two couples coming with us to Cozumel in May. Oh, and I still got the hammock!:cheers:

I did a time share presentation in Orlando once. As we were finishing driving around and head back to the house "for the closing interview" I'm sure - I jumped ahead of the sales gal asking: About how much are we looking at here for a membership, and how much in annual costs? Whatever she told me, I said: "With a 10% cost of money spent on the membership plus annual costs equals <whatever the total> for that many days. Oh My God! I can beat that easily at the nicest hotel, and I know I'll never get my money back on the investment! We'll just take our Disneyworld tickets and stop wasting your time." God, she was furious. They didn't teach her anything for that objection.

Sure, if you want to hear a time share pitch, ask: "Can you sell me a time share if I like it?"

If you don't want to spend dive time tied up in a pitch - just keep walking. My first time, I simply asked: "Do you have bus tickets?" and kept walking.

Good thead Christi, as I know those hawks upset a lot of vacations.

Two weeks ago today I was trying to rent my car at Less Pay at the Barracuda Hotel after I got into Cozumel. Those fools were trying to get me to attend one of their seminars at El Cid La Cieba and all they offered me was one free stinking dive with Del Mar Aquatics. I told them I was doing 3 tanks a day with Blue XT Sea and didn't have time and they left me alone! The power of Christi's Mafia is incredible!

Matt

A couple of years ago I talked to a time share guy in the plaza on a Sunday evening, and more or less blew him off. I go back 7 months later, and the guy sees me in the plaza on a Sunday again. He says he remembers me. I'm like no way so I start asking him some questions and damn he did remember me. He was able to recall the specific way I blew him off, and enough details about our short conversation from 7 months previous to convinvce he did. Simply amazing considering how many hundreds if not thousands of people that had crossed his path in those 7 months. He was hawking a place on the mainland. I think it was the Mayan Palace our something like that.

Not Cozumel, but when we went to Puerto Vallarta a few years back, we got a screaming deal at a five star resort. Turned out they were selling off the rooms as time shares, and the cheap rates brought in their customers.

The hotel was more than everything we had hoped for (it was actually located north of PV on a perfect beach). After you checked in, they called you down to pick up your "included gifts" from a "host" or "hostess" in the lobby. It took me maybe 15 seconds to realize what was up: They were trying to get us to a timeshare presentation.

I was in sales for years, and actually enjoy listening to a good pitch. So when the nice lady got finished trying to close me on going to the presentation, I politely made some suggestions on her technique. I suggested more eye contact, the use of my name used more often, and that she ask more "open ended" questions. I suggested that she ask some obvious "yes" questions, to get me in the "yes mode." And then, instead of asking if we would like to attend, yes or no, she should state positivity that she knew that we would want to go, wouldn't we?

I said, "Now, why don't you start again and see if you can't do better."

She just looked at me. I tried to encourage her, telling her that we'd go over and over it until she got it right, but she just seemed to want to move on to someone else.

"Wait a minute," I called after her as she was making her getaway. "We haven't even started working on overcoming my objections!" but she was gone.

Oh, well.

At this place they gave you one of those colored wrist bands; one color if you hadn't yet seen a timeshare presentation, one color if you had, and another color if you bought or already owned one. They said that all guests were required to wear it at all times to be on the property. All over the hotel and all over town, the people with the "haven't bought" bracelets were hounded by the timeshare hockers. We cut ours off on the first day and were pretty much left alone. When someone did approach us, I attempted to coach them on their sales technique, but most of them suddenly seamed to remember that they had something else to do. :D

Love it...
I said, "Now, why don't you start again and see if you can't do better."

She just looked at me. I tried to encourage her, telling her that we'd go over and over it until she got it right, but she just seemed to want to move on to someone else.

"Wait a minute," I called after her as she was making her getaway. "We haven't even started working on overcoming my objections!" but she was gone.
And you were gonna buy when she got good, right...? :lol2:

DandyDon:
Love it...

And you were gonna buy when she got good, right...? :lol2:
Actually, I was planning on trying to charge her for the training. :D

Thanks for the heads up Christi! It was actually on my list of questions to ask before we come down in June. We were grabbed by one of those aggressive salesmen at the Cancun airport once. It only cost us a few minutes, but we never used our "free passes" to use the spa at the Aventuras Spa-Palace. Just smiled, said thank you, and found our transfer van. They can be relentless.

Back
Top Bottom