Friendly and hopefully helpful Coz airport time share tip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to pick up my wife's parents at the Cancun airport.

They told a timeshares hawker that they didn't need a ride because they were being picke up by their son-in-law (me). The guy told them he'd seen me and that I had left because their plane was late. Fortunately, they didn't believe him. It's scary how these guys are allowed inside the airport!

Rick Inman:
...when the nice lady got finished trying to close me on going to the presentation, I politely made some suggestions on her technique. I suggested more eye contact, the use of my name used more often, and that she ask more "open ended" questions. I suggested that she ask some obvious "yes" questions, to get me in the "yes mode." And then, instead of asking if we would like to attend, yes or no, she should state positivity that she knew that we would want to go, wouldn't we?

I said, "Now, why don't you start again and see if you can't do better."

She just looked at me. I tried to encourage her, telling her that we'd go over and over it until she got it right, but she just seemed to want to move on to someone else.

"Wait a minute," I called after her as she was making her getaway. "We haven't even started working on overcoming my objections!" but she was gone.

Wait a minute! Come back here! Don't you want to 'haggle? ;^)

Great story, Rick. Where are you gonna be in May? We'll be on our annual pilgrimage to Cozumel.

:14: don't get me started on timeshare people!!!

This is a great tip Christi, but not really relegated to the Coz airport. Most Caribbean destinations have similar tactics, and as with Coz, they are not relegated to the Airport.

Worst thing is if you're staying at an AI resort. If so you usually have a bracelet on your wrist that idententifes you as someone who is ok to get food/drink at the resort. Unfortunatly, the townspeople, in Coz or any other resort destination, will use that band to accost you on the street. They've memorized them an will pretend to represent your resort....

It's simple...if you're traveling and someone on the street, airport, etc, attemps to engage you, assume they are trying to hawk their wares and keep walking, unless you are expecting them. Apple, Funjet, etc, are very clear about where they will meet you at the airport and what they will be wearing.

Of course, some people are fully willing to sit through an hour of high pressure sales pitch for a free trinket....for those, go for it....

James

P.S. Coz is easy...if you really want to be hawked at...go to Jamacia....

Our elderly folks arrived on a different flight than ours into Cancun last summer. They had paid in full vouchers, but those friendly TS folks convinced them that they'd missed the shuttle. Heartless *******s.

EricJ:
I've fallen into the trap of attending a time share presentation a couple of times now. On both occassions I have NOT received all the freebies that were promised.

I've done the timeshare thing several times when I was younger and poorer, and the freebies were more important. I always got them as advertised but they are not too eager about it. You have to be able to say no over and over to the sales guys, and insistent on the prize redemption guys. You can't take it personally or get upset over the fuzzy math and sleazeball tactics.

A single No will not get it done, no matter how adamant. You must wear down the first stringer, and then the second stringer (they will pass you off several times) until finally the "closer" gives up. When he finally says "thanks for coming anyway" or such, he may point you to the taxi stand but not to the prize redemption room/booth. Once a guy tried to get us in a taxi, acting like how lucky we were to have one waiting to go right away, I guess hoping we would get in before remembering about the freebie. They might give you a choice between some lesser prizes as if they are your only options, or try to tell you they're "out of" the nice ones. Demand what was originally offered and you will begrudgingly get it.

Christi and I talked just the other day. Perhaps my mention of "Mexican timeshare fraud" helped to prompt her timely- and always important- reminder of this little "feature" of trips to the dive mecca. (and other such locales)
Our story goes like this: June, 2005. A freebie Jeep for a day sounded like a fine swap for an hour and a half of our time. It had been 3 years since we'd last sat in on a discussion of the joys of timeshare- and I'd done some homework since then.
A visit to, shall we call them "Regal Happyday," included plying us with cocktails and being promised the sun, moon and stars.
What I was interested in was eventually put in writing. The benefits we saw included the right price, (I'd checked what resales were going for) "unlimited use" for 5 years, meaning we could bring as many guests as we wanted for as many weeks as wanted. Plus, we could "accelerate" our use- which gives us trips while we're still young and interested- and beats the anticipated increases in annual maintenance fees. Good.
We did the down payment and happily drove away in the Jeep. (They had a rather crappy Jeep waiting had we said "no," but brought up a new one for their new "family")
We'd probably be users of this property right now except...
After we arrived home, we found our credit card had not only been charged for what we agreed to, but for an additional, unauthorized $6,700. Hmmm.
After weeks turned into 3 months of promises to "fix" this problem, the fine folks at "Regal Happyday" eventually found that we'd lost faith- and we took control of the problem.
Our bank gladly charged back everything- and we're back to flush.
Even the TS folks admitted they'd blown the mission and had no leg to stand on to enforce payment.
When we first thought we were going to be happy with our TS purchase, we booked a Dec. '05 trip. We made another visit in Oct. '05 (yea, during Wilma). Obviously, post hurricane, the Dec. '05 reservations would have to change... then came all the problems.
So, where do we stand now? A call to Christi gave us a referral to a GREAT condo. Once we buy groceries, beverages and such, we'll have spent just about the same $ as for the week at the TS. (plus, we'll have enjoyed local offerings, not just all-inclusive fare)
We're booked for Dec. '06!
This time, I think we'll spend the extra hour and a half diving. With Christi, of course.
Craig-

I always do the same thing: since the person is always speaking in very accent-laden English, I turn and say: "no entiendo Ingles" (I don't understand English, in Spanish); That usually gets a roaring laugh or a very perplexed look. Either way, by the next moment, I'm gone.

CN

cowboyneal:
I always do the same thing: since the person is always speaking in very accent-laden English, I turn and say: "no entiendo Ingles" (I don't understand English, in Spanish); That usually gets a roaring laugh or a very perplexed look. Either way, by the next moment, I'm gone.

CN

I really don't have a problem with these guys. I smile and say "no, gracias" and never break stride. Sometimes I have a little good natured fun with them, too. One guy I fake indignantly asked "Do I look like a tourist to you????" Of course I did, and we both knew it. We shared a laugh and I went on my way.

ggunn:
I really don't have a problem with these guys. I smile and say "no, gracias" and never break stride. Sometimes I have a little good natured fun with them, too. One guy I fake indignantly asked "Do I look like a tourist to you????" Of course I did, and we both knew it. We shared a laugh and I went on my way.
Wanta have some fun with them, try this if you have time: "Which time share are you with? Oh, good - Because I have some severe problems with my membership there. Maybe you have time to fix it for me?" :lol2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom