Frog kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It all depends on what you are doing... kinda like walking. Are you walking to the mailbox? Are you strolling through the garden with a cup of coffee? Are you carrying a heavy package upstairs? Are you the mailman running from a dog? Are you... well you get the point.

So... what are we doing?

Boogie711:
Any underwater hockey player will attest that the fastest underwater kick is not the flutter, but by far and away the dolphin kick.

That being said, I do neither whilst on Scuba. Frog kicking is where it's at.

How's your Underwater Hockey doing out there? We had started up in the fall, but it seems that after Christmas it dropped right off.

Loads of fun for anyone who's wondering, and a great cardio workout as well.

Underwater hockey is cool... I've only been out a few times, but its a bunch of guys who get together at the University of Guelph on Sunday afternoons. You're not kidding about the cardio workout!

Whitelightnin:
Here is a link to a video of the frog kick. Click the link then in the top center of the page that comes up, click on "Frog Kick".

James

http://www.fifthd.com/itindex.htm

Thank you all for the messages and suggestions.

I can't seem to get the video to run.....

Rick

Uncle Pug:
It all depends on what you are doing... kinda like walking. Are you walking to the mailbox? Are you strolling through the garden with a cup of coffee? Are you carrying a heavy package upstairs? Are you the mailman running from a dog? Are you... well you get the point.

So... what are we doing?

I spent years on swimteam. Years. Like from 6 to about 17 or 18. Cal Novice, AAU, in the pool 5 - 6 hours a day, the guy with the green hair all through school, etc. Hundreds of trophies and ribbons and rot gathering dust at Mom's.

My best stroke was Breast. But swimteam frog kick and scuba frog kick are way different. Same muscles, different position in the water.

Most of my dives, I don't lead. I follow. I shoot. I support, I rarely lead. Once in awhile, I lead. On one such occasion recently, after a few minutes, Arnaud grabbed my fin and looked at me like, "What's the rush..." I never realized I was just bookin' along, but I was.

Same kick - different task. With nobody in front of me, I was just kick-kick-kick... with someone else leading, I sort of kick-glide-kick-look-at-the-fishie-kick... When Arnaud leads, he's so laid back I usually mod-frog and keep up fine.

I mod-flutter thru kelp. Frog in open water. It all depends on what you want to do. Having several kicks in your tool bag rules.

K

A little off topic :cheeky: , I was working on my frog kick while on a recent vacation which worked out quite well. The more I practiced the easier it got. Towards the end of the vacation I actually prefered it to my normal kick.

Now, every once in a while I would modify my kick by extending my legs straight back but instead of fluttering up and down I would twist my legs/ankles to kick the same as the frog (straight back). Is there a name for this kind of kick? I found it to be very powerful and controlable.

Thanks

thanks for the link to the frog kick video - they were very easy to watch. Since we learned that in OW I've never quite been able to get the hang of it. The video made it easier to understand. thanks.

starfish365:
thanks for the link to the frog kick video - they were very easy to watch. Since we learned that in OW I've never quite been able to get the hang of it. The video made it easier to understand. thanks.

After years of swim team frog kicking, I realized I was dropping my knees below the plane of my chest as I performed the kick. Above water, this facilitates the motion required to get your mouth out of water to breathe during the stroke.

However, this knee drop sort of defeats the purpose of true hoz trim. It wasn't until I saw my video in DIR/F that I understood what Michael meant ("you hunchin' the dog there, Kenny...?")

A few session of laying prone on the floor watching TV, working on the kick developed the muscle memory to the point where I'm not dropping my knees any more.

K

Scott M:
Now, every once in a while I would modify my kick by extending my legs straight back but instead of fluttering up and down I would twist my legs/ankles to kick the same as the frog (straight back). Is there a name for this kind of kick? I found it to be very powerful and controlable.
Full frog, from the loaded position of knees bent and feet apart extend the legs back as the cocked ankles bring the fins together in a powerful kick followed by a glide with legs still extended.

Modified frog, keeping the legs bent at the knee with cocked ankles bring the fins together.

Sculling, with the legs bent the fins are moved back and forth without being brought together.

Modified flutter, the legs are bent at the knee and the fins are fluttered up and down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom