Frog kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whitelightnin:
Here is a link to a video of the frog kick. Click the link then in the top center of the page that comes up, click on "Frog Kick".

James

http://www.fifthd.com/itindex.htm

Finally was able to get the videos to download...interesting technique; I've been doing the spread, twist, and press together method which is ok, but the one on the videos seems to get more thrust...I'll try that next..

Semper Safe,

Rick

Uncle Pug:
Full frog, from the loaded position of knees bent and feet apart extend the legs back as the cocked ankles bring the fins together in a powerful kick followed by a glide with legs still extended.

Modified frog, keeping the legs bent at the knee with cocked ankles bring the fins together.

Sculling, with the legs bent the fins are moved back and forth without being brought together.

Modified flutter, the legs are bent at the knee and the fins are fluttered up and down.
Thanks Uncle P. From that perspective I was practicing the Modified Frog and the answer to my question was the full frog. Theres quite a bit of power and speed associated with the full frog. More than I expected I should say.

One other kick I really liked when in tight places (like between coral) was my legs kept fully extended and using my ankles to press the fins together pushing the water backward instead of the flutter. It was very comfortable for me.

Edit: added the last thought

You should be able to do the froger with those Mares-----Keep practicing and get a freind to video tape it!!! If that doesnt work get a pair of old trustworthy Jet Fins----Yaaaa Baby--- Cheap and get the Job done!!! DIR guys cream themselves over them, but they are not just for DIR diving!
PS After you get them make sure you either buy or make a pair of Spring straps---easy on, easy off!

I Frog whenever I dive--- Legs of Steel Now!!!

That's the plan SP Jetfins....been looking at Ebay almost every night, already know where to pick up the spring straps. My wife thinks I'm crazy to get yet another pair of fins, but hey, she'll understand in due time. One question; the Aqualung rocket, and the IDI are they the same? I see lots of resemblance, but some differences in how they're ribbed on the bottom of the fin.

Semper Safe,

Rick

Good luck getting the IDI --- They went bust last month sold everything!

The Turdle (sp?) Fins have a huge foot pocket and are made for dry suit divers with huge boots! But like I said they went bye, bye.

Havent seen the rocket fins in years...
Just get a new pair of Jet fins--- they are like 100.00 bucks!
Spring straps are the best thing since sliced bread, baby yaaaaa!

Master the frog and your buddy swimming behind you inside that epic wreck will love you forever!

Old thread to be resurrected as i have a question again on it.

This last weekend i was a little way back in a cave at Peacock, playing No.2 man as my buddy knew the lay of the line a lot better than i. So we turn on 1/6ths and proceed out, buddy is happy about my diving (only just finished intro training), but mentioned that i spread my legs a long way when frog kicking. As i cant see back there i cant tell how wide, but it felt comfortable for me. He was concerned that i might lose some power from having my knees/legs outside the slipstream of the rest of my body. I have had my frog commented on as being good and as fast as almost anyone who is going at it with a flutter (like when we are charing out 1/2 mile off the beach to hit the drop off on the SE coast). How wide do you spread your legs on this kick. I think mine must be going outside my shoulders, to possibly a 90-deg angle or so. This is similar to how i do breaststroke kick - only without the rocking to get my head up - my knees seem to stay in that plane quite well with a nice back arch.

So how bad is this for my kick, i seem to get plenty of power without any effort. Another couple of cavers exited just before us on our first dive and i had to stop myself kicking and just drift with the flow to prevent going into the back of them - i was doing 1 kick for about 3/4 of theirs and just enjoying the structures, but on the second dive i knew my buddy was cold so didnt hang around quite as much (no-one ahead either) and put a "little" more leg into the kicks. I seem to use my inner/outer thighs more than my calfs for this kick, really need some more work i feel. :wink:

simbrooks:
Old thread to be resurrected as i have a question again on it.

This last weekend i was a little way back in a cave at Peacock, playing No.2 man as my buddy knew the lay of the line a lot better than i. So we turn on 1/6ths and proceed out, buddy is happy about my diving (only just finished intro training), but mentioned that i spread my legs a long way when frog kicking. As i cant see back there i cant tell how wide, but it felt comfortable for me. He was concerned that i might lose some power from having my knees/legs outside the slipstream of the rest of my body. I have had my frog commented on as being good and as fast as almost anyone who is going at it with a flutter (like when we are charing out 1/2 mile off the beach to hit the drop off on the SE coast). How wide do you spread your legs on this kick. I think mine must be going outside my shoulders, to possibly a 90-deg angle or so. This is similar to how i do breaststroke kick - only without the rocking to get my head up - my knees seem to stay in that plane quite well with a nice back arch.

So how bad is this for my kick, i seem to get plenty of power without any effort. Another couple of cavers exited just before us on our first dive and i had to stop myself kicking and just drift with the flow to prevent going into the back of them - i was doing 1 kick for about 3/4 of theirs and just enjoying the structures, but on the second dive i knew my buddy was cold so didnt hang around quite as much (no-one ahead either) and put a "little" more leg into the kicks. I seem to use my inner/outer thighs more than my calfs for this kick, really need some more work i feel. :wink:

Stand up and place you feet shoulder width apart. Take a good look at that distance and think what you would get out of that spread when executing your kick. Certainly much would depend on how fast or hard you snapped the kick. I mostly use a wide spread since I don't chamber the kick(usually) until all forward motion has stopped. No forward motion means no slip stream and no drag. I can adjust my speed through the water by changing the tempo of the kick and or the speed with which I close my legs.

jbd:
Stand up and place you feet shoulder width apart. Take a good look at that distance and think what you would get out of that spread when executing your kick. Certainly much would depend on how fast or hard you snapped the kick. I mostly use a wide spread since I don't chamber the kick(usually) until all forward motion has stopped. No forward otion means no slip stream and no drag. I can adjust my speed through the water by changing the tempo of the kick and or the speed with which I close my legs.
I think i see what you are saying, i was looking at a long, wide stroke, which would give power, but might be outside the slipstream (as i said way back when this thread first came to light - i do breaststroke kick fairly well), so you are saying most go narrower with more snap? I can see what you are saying about the loading position after the glide - i guess it depends on the speed i am looking for, if i have to get somewhere i will lose a bit of that glide for more omph, but most of the time i am just casually moving along and so give myself a good glide - which from the sound of it wouldnt make much difference to the drag part of the mechanics. Its still a work in progress for me, looking for people to check me out from behind and tell me what my kick looks like. I prefer using the larger thigh muscles to do most of the power of the kick than the little calves to snap through the kick - unless wanting very small motion without disturbing the bottom.

Ever since I posted this thread I've been toying with different ways to frog, 1-the bring in the feet, twist outward and snap back (sculling) method, 2-the bent knee spread out twist the feet so the bottom of the fins meet and close the gap (modified) method, and 3-the full leg spread and close (full frog) method. I've found that it's better for me to switch from method to method so as to give myself some variance, but mostly depending on the situation. If I need an immediate boost, then I scull along, if I'm just swimming around I mostly use modified frog (love this method with my Jetfins), although I alternate between sculling and modified, and if I want to just relax, I use full frog.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom