Frog kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks:
I think i see what you are saying, i was looking at a long, wide stroke, which would give power,...

It wouldn't necessarily give you power---that would depend on how much force you put into the kick. Sometimes, from a wide spread, it will take me 4 to 5 seconds to reach the closed position. At times I will execute the kick in less than a second. The latter will give the longest glide but the first one requires the least physical effort.

If you need to go fast, you need to use a narrower kick(stay within slipstream to reduce drag), increase the tempo or beat of the kick and execute each kick in less than a second. Now you are doing 60 kicks per minute instead of 5 or 6 kicks per minute. The downside---as speed doubles, drag quadruples and energy expenditure goes way up.

Overall the idea is to adapt the kick to the needs you have at the time during the dive.

jbd:
It wouldn't necessarily give you power---that would depend on how much force you put into the kick. Sometimes, from a wide spread, it will take me 4 to 5 seconds to reach the closed position. At times I will execute the kick in less than a second. The latter will give the longest glide but the first one requires the least physical effort.

If you need to go fast, you need to use a narrower kick(stay within slipstream to reduce drag), increase the tempo or beat of the kick and execute each kick in less than a second. Now you are doing 60 kicks per minute instead of 5 or 6 kicks per minute. The downside---as speed doubles, drag quadruples and energy expenditure goes way up.

Overall the idea is to adapt the kick to the needs you have at the time during the dive.
Trust me, i go slow all the time unless something urgent is happening and i need to take action - this will also become moreso as i work on the DM stuff if i have any runaways or such. Thanks for the guidance though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom