frozen fingers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had good warmth with gauntlet-type 7mm neoprene three-finger mitts that had a cinch-strap at the wrist.

What really helped was wearing homemade wristbands of 7mm neoprene under those mitts. I made the bands from some old mitts, but you could use 2-inch wide neoprene and sew or glue the ends together.

The wristbands kept the wrist itself warmer (where the arteries are close to the surface) and also improved the seal at the wrist while reducing the constricting effect of the cinch strap.

Filling the mitts with warm water prior to donning also helped.

These measures might give you an hour of relative comfort in 43 degree water. After that, once the cold takes over, the blood vessels begin constricting and the coldness accelerates quickly. I found I could go from good dexterity and comfort at one hour to significant numbness 15 minutes later.

If you can accomplish a good seal at the wrist with minimal constriction, you'll do pretty well. So, unless you can find a mitt with a perfect fit and seal at the wrist, you'll probably be better off using a pretty loosely fitting gauntlet mitt with a cinch-strap and then filling the void with the wristbands.

Reduced circulation is a big factor. That's why holding an object can make that hand go cold quickly, as people have mentioned.

If you get mitts or gloves that constrict, especially when bending the fingers, your hands will get cold more quickly. Loose-fitting mitts with a good seal at the wrist seemed to work best for me.... when I dove wet....

Of course, drygloves have been heaven.... :D

Dave C

Quote "If you're not using a drysuit then drygloves are out" Quote
Why not the non-ring style should seal under a wetsuit just fine.

Quote " "lobster" mitts, the ones with only 3 fingers (it might just be me that calls them lobster mitts...). Much warmer than having all your fingers separated. Bit of a struggle to get them on though." Quote Maybe i call them turtle gloves

turtle_guy:
Quote "If you're not using a drysuit then drygloves are out" Quote
Why not the non-ring style should seal under a wetsuit just fine.

They will squeeze, you will loose dexterity, hands will get cold, and could end up with painful bruises.

In case you didn't realize, as you decend the air in the gloves is compressed just like the air in your bc. Your hands will get "shrink wrapped" and all the above mentioned will occur.

I have put on surgical gloves under my wet gloves but they didn't make any difference. When the H2O hits them you can't even tell they are there. what I have used that helped was a pair of heat reflective gloves from the outdoors store. My hands heated up on the surface before adding the cold H2O and took longer to get cold. It has been so long since I have had wet hands at 42 degrees I don't remember how much time that bought me.

I feel your pain... your extremities are the first to suffer (get cold) when diving wet in low watertemps.

The only thing you can do is postpone the onset of cold...

So far what has worked for me is:

1) 3 finger mittens. Since some of your fingers are in one 'sleeve' they tend to get less cold. Make it at least 5mm. Waterproof has some nice ones.
2) Mittens with seals. You wear them not over your suite with a strap band but under it. You put layer upon layer (seals). How do I explain this :huh: mmm when you donn your mittens you do the following. First you roll back your suits arm you put on your mitten and roll it back. First layer is your seal of the mitten. On top of that the seal of your suite, then the outer layer of your mitten and on top of that the outer layer of your suite. This way it takes about 5 to 8 min for water to enter your mittens and it reduces the moving of water in your mittens significantly. It lookt a bit like this:

_____ (outer layer suit arm)
_____ (outer layer mitten)
_____ (seal suit arm)
_____ (seal mitten)

So you have 4 layer interlocking through which water has to enter...

Just a tip. Good luck!

Put on a thicker hood or hooded vest.

Hands or feet getting cold is often a result of heat loss from the head or core as much as from the hands and feet.

Old outdoorsman saying, "If your feet are cold, put on your hat."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom