Full Cave Training With GDI Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff Toorish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Full Cave Training With GDI
Or
Oh my God, they killed Ricky (again)!
Those B***ards

What are the odds?

What are the odds of two cave divers losing all three of their lights on the same day. Gotta’ be something like a billion to one, right? But that is exactly what happened. On the first dive of the day, Vickie’s primary light started to flicker, and neither of her backup lights worked properly. That caused us to have to climb out of a 30 foot hole, lugging out our double steel tanks.

That was fluky enough, but just a minute ago, my primary light started acting like a 70s disco strobe; literally blinking on and off twice a second. I was second diver in a team of four. I signaled Vickie in the lea, she saw my psychedelic canister light and my upturned thumb, “time to head out.” She returned the thumb signal and we turned around.

Little did I know that within a couple of minutes, both my (very expensive) backup lights would fail to strike. That can’t be good. This wasn’t a training exercise, it was real. Now it’s time to apply what we’ve learned to get ourselves out of this cave safely!

Finishing Up Cave Training (hopefully)

I completed my cavern and intro-to-cave course in November of 2006. Frankly, I found intro perhaps the most difficult instruction I had ever undertaken; it was tougher than boot camp; learning to pilot an air plane; skydiving or bungee diving. It was both physically demanding and required intense mental focus. I had originally wanted to go all the way through full cave at the same time but that turned out to be impractical.

So, here I am, a few months later suiting up to go back into the Florida caves with Rick from Genesis Diving Institute, hopefully to complete my cave diving instruction. I had traveled from my home in New England the day before. Because I was planning to take another course after finishing up my cave work, (no sea grass growing under these fins) I had brought three boxes of gear. Traveling was surprisingly smooth and here I was, back at The Ginnie Springs Devil System, donning a dry suit and slipping into a set of double steel 120s. I was happily surprised at how everything was coming back to me…or so I thought.

Before getting suited up, we sat at a picnic table and reviewed procedures, gas matching and the dive plan. This was significantly different from the preparation regime for the cavern or intro courses. We were planning to make jumps between cave lines, something not done in the intro course. We were going to make a circuit at Ginnie Springs, or at least as much of a circuit as one-third of our air would allow.

We did some review line work around the trees and practiced tying off a jump reel before actually getting wet. That went well and I felt reasonably confident about the coming dive. Rick from GDI was teaching the class; the other student was a wonderful woman named Vickie. Her husband Bryan is fully cave certified but as it turned out, he would not be diving today. That was a disappointment. He did eventually dive with us and by the end of the course, Bryan’s tips proved invaluable to me.

Loaded with gear, we hiked the relatively short distance to the water. Sadly, the double 120s were still as heavy as the last time I’d had them strapped to my back. I was sort of hoping they might have somehow magically gotten lighter. Of course, this is akin to taking a sniff of milk, discovering it is sour and putting it back it the refrigerator hoping it turns fresh tomorrow. Still, hope springs eternal.

We slipped into the water, and made our pre-dive checks, matched gas and did a bubble check. On the way to the “ear” (the drop down to the cave itself) we performed out of air drills. This is one of the most significant differences between cave diving and open water diving; when going into a cave, we practice the most critical emergency skills each and every time. I’ve come to believe that should be standard for all open water dives, something I’ll be discussing with my regular dive buddies. As we all know, in a crisis, it is the poorly learned survival skills that desert us first. (During training in a different course the next week, a real life incident proved how critical this training is, but that’s another story.)

Because of the nature of this course, I am not going to write about each dive. Rather, I will touch on some of the more interesting dives (and there were a couple that were very interesting) and deal with more of the philosophy of the course.

I've posted the entire report at the link below to avoid having to break it up into several posts here--JT
http://www.atomicpirate.com/Reports/2007/fullcavereport.html

excellent report!! so sorry rick's dead again. i hope he feels better soon... :D

Great write-up Jeff!

I think Rick is used to getting killed in training dives.

The info about the lights was very enlightening, I understand your desire to keep names out, but it would be very interesting to know which expensive light is not recommended for overhead environments. Especially if the marketing materials and manuals fail to state that little detail.

Makes me very happy to have purchased those very inexpensive LED lights as backups

Cheers

Steve

Gilless:
Great write-up Jeff!

I think Rick is used to getting killed in training dives.

The info about the lights was very enlightening, I understand your desire to keep names out, but it would be very interesting to know which expensive light is not recommended for overhead environments. Especially if the marketing materials and manuals fail to state that little detail.
Makes me very happy to have purchased those very inexpensive LED lights as backups

Cheers

Steve

I'd be happy to name names if we can get a ruling from a mod that it's okay to do that.

Of coures, there are also PMs. :D

J

Did you have one of the big NiMH batteries for your primary? I've heard that they can develop charging problems.

In my Rec Triox class, we lost six lights among three people over two days. It gave me a new perspective on how fragile lighting is.

TSandM:
Did you have one of the big NiMH batteries for your primary? I've heard that they can develop charging problems.

In my Rec Triox class, we lost six lights among three people over two days. It gave me a new perspective on how fragile lighting is.

Yep. Nimh is great for small size and large capacity but it does take a specialized charger and can be finicky. A friend has a nice Dive Rite compact light and has been through 2 or 3 battery packs and a couple chargers over the last 5 years. My HID, also dive rite and 5 years old, is one of the older lead acid varieties (renaker special) and in a pinch, I can plug its battery directly into the ciggerate lighter in my truck to charge on the drive. (kinda nice) Never had a problem provided I at least somewhat charged it. I get 4+ hours of burntime as well. (replacement batteries are also great, I got one comped to me at work by newark, haven't needed it yet but retail was $18 + about $3 of plugs from autozone)

On backups, I like the small alkaline battery based lights. Simply and reliable. I might even buy some LED ones when they come down to a half way reasonable price.

TSandM:

It's a 9 Amp NiMH 21w HID, so yes, it has a NiMH battery but the problem wasn't with the light, it was the charger itself. For some reason the charger itself failed although that wasn't apparent. I've spoken with the manufacturer (which provided excellent service, by the way) and they say this problem was in no way connected with the battery or light itself. It was completely the charger. They also said that although charger failures are rare, they do see a few of them on occasion.

For about 70 bucks, I'm going to buy one of these:
http://westmountainradio.com/Whattmeter.htm

That should help. I'm also probably going to start carrying a second charger.

Jeff

I have a cheapo voltmeter that I use for burn testing, hadn't thought about checking batteries before a dive until I read your report. Probably a good thing to do since, from what I can deduce, my primary is made by the same company.

On the backups, I'm kinda surprised that no one mentioned to you that an HID is a bad idea for a backup. Backups should be reliable, simple and robust, an HID is none of those things.

OneBrightGator:
On the backups, I'm kinda surprised that no one mentioned to you that an HID is a bad idea for a backup. Backups should be reliable, simple and robust, an HID is none of those things.

My new backups are exactly that!

Oddly, the company that makes the back-ups lists them on the "back up light" section of their website, begging the questions..."back up for what?" My original plan was to find very tough backup lights that would stand up to the harsh exploration environment.

You are compltely correct, 'Gator, the first rule is backups should be extremely reliable. I'll just carry two sets of backups to make sure if something happens to one or two of them during transport, I'll have plenty of others.

Jeff

Huh, that is odd. My full cave instructor introduced me to the idea of a "backup primary", where you carry your normal array of lights, plus a handheld light that could serve as a primary, should your original primary fail. That gives you the option of continuing the dive (as you still have 3 lights) or using a full power light to exit. Which, after having to scooter out from the Bats at Ginnie on a backup I can see the logic. Point being, that light would be an excellent choice for that application, or for boat diving, traveling, etc., but I don't see it as a good choice for a normal backup.

Considering lots of people use Princeton Tec 40s as backups, I certainly have no issue using mine as backup backups. I have also read lately of people using small LED lights as a "4th" and keeping them on the entire dive, I believe it is was a UK Q40 eLED. If you're looking for new backups, I recommend the Photon Torpedos, the LED versions are probably the best on the market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom