Full Cave Training With GDI Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtoorish:
I'd be happy to name names if we can get a ruling from a mod that it's okay to do that.

Of coures, there are also PMs. :D

J

If you will white-out the names like this, we'll let it slide....LOL

OneBrightGator:
Huh, that is odd. My full cave instructor introduced me to the idea of a "backup primary", where you carry your normal array of lights, plus a handheld light that could serve as a primary, should your original primary fail. That gives you the option of continuing the dive (as you still have 3 lights) or using a full power light to exit. Which, after having to scooter out from the Bats at Ginnie on a backup I can see the logic. Point being, that light would be an excellent choice for that application, or for boat diving, traveling, etc., but I don't see it as a good choice for a normal backup.

Considering lots of people use Princeton Tec 40s as backups, I certainly have no issue using mine as backup backups. I have also read lately of people using small LED lights as a "4th" and keeping them on the entire dive, I believe it is was a UK Q40 eLED. If you're looking for new backups, I recommend the Photon Torpedos, the LED versions are probably the best on the market.

Thanks. I went with the DR 4w Quartz Halogen, I got three of them but I also have a couple of other quartz lights for backups. I like the idea of keeping a 4th light on during the dive.

Jeff

ScubaTexan:
If you will white-out the names like this, we'll let it slide....LOL

Okay
The primary light was the Salvo 9 Amp NiMH 21w HID. I stress, the problem was the battery charger not the light. Salvo checked both and replaced the charger immediately, entire turn around was about a week or so. I thought their service was impressive.

The backup lights were the 10w Handheld HID from DiveRite, purchased at DiveRite Express. It was a customer service rep at DiveRite Express who told me about the limitations of the lights and that they are not considered backup lights for technical or overhead environments. Oddly, on the DiveRite website, they are listed in the backup light section.

Read between the lines

so you surived RIck, eh, jtoorish?

i still have dreams (well, nightmares) about my clases with him

:eyebrow:

congratz!!

[edit] jesus christ i'm going blind

H2Andy:
so you surived RIck, eh, jtoorish?

i still have dreams (well, nightmares) about my clases with him

:eyebrow:

congratz!!

[edit] jesus christ i'm going blind

Thanks Andy.

I am in therapy now.

Jeff

TSandM:
Did you have one of the big NiMH batteries for your primary? I've heard that they can develop charging problems.

The biggest problem with NiMH batteries is that you should never let them completely discharge, and when not used, you should still charge them monthly.

If you fly; Li-Ion batteries could be an issue depending on their size

Cheers

Steve

jtoorish:
Thanks Andy.

I am in therapy now.

Jeff

Hmmm...You killed Rick Eh? :confused:
OH BOY !!!!
Hey , you think you had it bad , I had Rick ONE-ON-ONE for Full !!!!! :11:
However , climbing out of Challenge ... (shudder)
Gads ... Er ... Nevermind ... (wowza)

My nightmare is:
Mad Canadian comes flying around the back of a rock and ... :popcorn:
(Film at 11 )

Congrats btw !!!
I salute you for the Challenge climb-out.
I would have taken the instructors tanks and his lights and swam back ... :D
But that's just me.

Jeano Beano

P.S. After going thru the torture of App/Full and listening to other people comments on their class(es) also , I have learned this one rule...
NEVER , NEVER , leave your instructor in a cave !!!!
Why?
Answer:
Er , I think they like it !!! :D

jeandiver:
Hmmm...You killed Rick Eh? :confused:
OH BOY !!!!
Hey , you think you had it bad , I had Rick ONE-ON-ONE for Full !!!!! :11:
But I got the chance to silt him out BIG TIME !!! :eyebrow:

My nightmare...

Mad Canadian comes flying around the back of a rock and ... :popcorn:

(Film at 11 )

Congrats btw !!!

Jeano Beano

P.S. After going thru the torture of App/Full and listening to other people comments on their class(es) also , I have learned this one rule...
NEVER , NEVER , leave your instructor in a cave !!!!

Why?
Answer:
Er , I think they like it !!! :D

Thanks Jeano!

As you know, Rick has a lot of tricks.

Jeff

You need one of these...

nexcell_2.jpg

Stephen Ash:
You need one of these...

nexcell_2.jpg
Agreed - excellent charger!

As for the back-up light issue, I'm amazed you were allowed to use a light that used rechargable batteries.

For back-ups, get some photon torpedoes and be done with it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom