FYI: Deep Sea Detectives - 5 Episodes on Monday (4/25)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
Set your TIVO's !!!! I found these on the "to-do" list of my season pass manager.

If you want to catch 5 episodes of Deep Sea Detectives on the history channel on Monday 4/25/05 starting at 7am CST.

Here's a listing of the Episodes that day (in order from 7am CST)

Mystery Sinking in Bermuda.
Tugboat Down!
Time Bomb of the Deep.
Secret Underwater Caves
Underwater Train Wreck.

Then another at 9pm CST that night:
Forgotten Sub of WWII.

from: http://www.historychannel.com/globa...ACatId=12036110&CaseId=12036109&EGrpId=274739

Mystery Sinking in Bermuda.
Airs on Monday, April 25 at 8:00am ET

On December 30, 1879, the iron 3-masted sailing ship North Carolina set out from Bermuda laden with cotton and bound for England. But 36 hours later, in the wee hours of New Year's Day, this brand new ship became yet another victim of the deadly circle of reefs that surround this lonely outpost in the Atlantic. Hosts John Chatterton and Melanie Paul join marine archaeologists from the Bermuda Maritime Museum to solve the mystery of the North Carolina's sinking. But while they examine the wreck and dig into records, puzzling facts emerge. As the mystery deepens, our Deep Sea Detectives must decide whether negligence, bad luck, or foul play sent her to the ocean's bottom. TVPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tugboat Down!
Airs on Monday, April 25 at 9:00am ET

March 5, 1993, the tugboat Thomas Hebert, manned by a crew of seven, left Virginia towing a barge loaded with 8,500 tons of coal for Maine. Around midnight on March 7, the captain and first mate went to bed, leaving the wheelhouse to the relief captain and relief mate. Suddenly, at about 3:00 a.m., the vessel listed to starboard. The captain and first mate bolted out of bed and shifted the throttles into neutral, but to no avail. A blast of air and water blew captain and first mate into the water, where they watched helplessly as the tug went down. They're left in a life raft alone, in the middle of the night, in the middle of the ocean, wondering what sank the tug and killed their five friends. Host John Chatterton is on the case! TVPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time Bomb of the Deep.
Airs on Monday, April 25 at 10:00am ET

In 2002, a series of mysterious oil spills spread alarm up and down the Northern California coastline, when a 200-mile stretch of beaches became littered with the carcasses of oiled animals. Experts soon realized they had an escalating disaster on their hands. Finally, the leak was traced to a 50-year old wreck--the SS Jacob Luckenbach, a tanker that sank in 200 feet of water. Join our divers as they explore the deteriorating tanker and learn the extreme challenges the oil-removal team faces. TVPG
Secret Underwater Caves.
Airs on Monday, April 25 at 11:00am ET

Within the Island of Cozumel in Mexico, there winds a 6-mile underwater cave system named Cueva Quebrada. Almost a mile from any entrance lies a significant cache of Mayan artifacts, a burial mound, found in 1991 by cave explorers Jeff Bozanic and Steve Ormeroid. How did the Mayans place these objects a mile back into the cave system? Deep Sea Detective John Chatterton trains to become a cave diver and uses the newest technology for a deep and treacherous dive to solve the mystery. TVPG

Underwater Train Wreck.
Airs on Monday, April 25 at 12:00pm ET

Our shipwreck hunters become railroad experts when they find two ghostly locomotives, upright and intact, just a few miles off the coast of New Jersey. How did these massive land vehicles end up 90 feet below the Atlantic in the first place? With no shipwreck nearby to explain their existence, we launch an investigation to find out how these locomotives wound up in deep water seven miles from land. Maybe the locomotives slid off a vessel during a storm? Perhaps they were jettisoned to save a ship? Our investigators are going to have to narrow down the time frame of when these trains were built to find out how they sank. To help solve the mystery, we bring in experts to analyze the evidence. But can we piece together this puzzling problem before time and/or some unscrupulous diver removes the evidence forever? TVPG

Loch Ness: Great Monster Mystery.
Airs on Monday, April 25 at 10:00pm ET

Perhaps the world's most famous underwater mystery, reports of "Nessie" sightings have circulated for centuries. Photos, film footage, sonar traces, and amazing new scientific discoveries all suggest that there just might be something lurking in the frigid waters of Scotland's Loch Ness. These cold waters are hauntingly deep--drowning victims usually disappear without a trace--and most divers refuse to enter. But not our intrepid team! Join us as we delve into the darkness of Loch Ness and look for an aquatic lassie named Nessie--history's most celebrated cryptozoological creature. TVPG

wait for the debate on the guy hitting the roof with the stick on the cave dive, it comes up every time that episode is shown

mossym:
wait for the debate on the guy hitting the roof with the stick on the cave dive, it comes up every time that episode is shown
A college friend tried to get me to take up diving for literally 20 years, but never could get me to make the effort. That one episode did what he couldn't, I was signed up for my OW class the next afternoon.

SB'ers (and elsewhere) are obviously free to dis' JC and that cave instructor's low-tech locating approach in that episode all they want, but remember that they are creating new divers and thats what makes the sport viable.

It's about time that show was back on. It seems like it has been on hiatus for months now. And I've been patiently waiting for it to return.

Mike

Thanks for the update! I'll have to set the recorder.

carini:
Yeppie!!!! love that show and have missed seeing it. the on on Forgotten sub of wwII it that about the U869?

Btw. The Forgotten subs of WWII doesn't come on that night as I said above.
It comes on May 2nd. The Loch Ness Monster comes on, which is in the detailed discription list but not the brief one. Sorry about that error on my part.

The Lost Subs comes on May 2nd at 10pm ET and is about a US sub. See the description I cut-n-pasted below from the History Channel website.

for info about the U-869, pick up a copy of the book Shadow Divers. IT's well worth a read.

Hope this helps --Mike

Forgotten Sub of WWII.
Airs on Monday, May 2 at 10:00pm ET

On June 20, 1941, the US Submarine O-9 headed out of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and nosed below the surface carrying 33 hands and never returned. Inquiries into her sinking failed to find answers. But 60 years later, she was rediscovered. Today, our team of Deep Sea Detectives heads out with the National Undersea Research Center to take the first ever video survey of the wreck in an attempt to solve this long forgotten mystery. TVPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom