Port Sanilac Trip Report, 8/11-12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Hoosier:
Gary's boat would be perfect for 8-10 divers. Heck, it would be down right spacious! I was really surprised, but we fit 12 on their without a problem. The thing that I noticed first was how wide she is at the stern. It's also very fast and stable. Really a very nice dive boat.

Garys boat is a 12 ft beam where most of the boats are 8 or 10 that is what makes Gary's seem so wide because it is hehe. It was built in Florida special for diving he will Gladly and Proudly tell you all about it just ask. I might also add the only dive boat I have been on in michigan mexico and Florida that has a Head which is great for Dry suit Diving. speaking of that how is dry suit diving ??

gtxl1200:
I wasnt kidding when I said if it wasnt for the marina Port sanilac wouldnt exist was I?

Nope, you weren't kidding. It is sure a one horse town. But I liked that. It has a nice, quite harbor village feel to it. Much better IMO than the hustle and bustle of Burnham Harbor in Chicago. We could park literally 50 feet from the boat, and there are a few spots not 20 feet from the boat! That is just unreal.

gtxl1200:
Garys boat is a 12 ft beam where most of the boats are 8 or 10 that is what makes Gary's seem so wide because it is hehe. It was built in Florida special for diving he will Gladly and Proudly tell you all about it just ask. I might also add the only dive boat I have been on in michigan mexico and Florida that has a Head which is great for Dry suit Diving. speaking of that how is dry suit diving ??

I'll never go back! I have 35 drysuit dives and only 7 wet dives since getting the suit in March, and 4 of those were my Rescue class (didn't want to risk ripping a seal) and 2 were in Florida.

Divin'Hoosier:
Nope, you weren't kidding. It is sure a one horse town. But I liked that. It has a nice, quite harbor village feel to it. Much better IMO than the hustle and bustle of Burnham Harbor in Chicago. We could park literally 50 feet from the boat, and there are a few spots not 20 feet from the boat! That is just unreal.

I was just at buffington and the harbor right next to that just a couple of weeks ago. OH wait sorry those are in Indiana just on the outskirts of chicago though I wasnt doing any diving though

Divin'Hoosier:
I'll never go back! I have 35 drysuit dives and only 7 wet dives since getting the suit in March, and 4 of those were my Rescue class (didn't want to risk ripping a seal) and 2 were in Florida.

Man now you got me thinking I'm doing my rescue class open waters this Saturday. I have a hundred + dives dry and any wet dives were in the south so I dont even know where my 7mill is I think I will be ok. I have gotten seals replaced before. Geez now I'm stressing even more then I was over this.

gtxl1200:
Man now you got me thinking I'm doing my rescue class open waters this Saturday. I have a hundred + dives dry and any wet dives were in the south so I dont even know where my 7mill is I think I will be ok. I have gotten seals replaced before. Geez now I'm stressing even more then I was over this.

I was being overly anal. I was also taking it with two guys who knew absolutely nothing about a drysuit. They actually had never even seen one!

I think you'll be fine taking it in your drysuit.

Just hope for some cold waters or wear little underneath. As much as I would like to take my rescue dry I think it will be wet.

I should have raw video posted on YouTube before this weekend. For those that want a keepsake dvd I could be talked into doing something with stills as well as the video.

I'll be heading that way in less than 2 weeks with 10 divers, and am looking forward to a nice few days of diving. Question...how many of the divers were diving WET?? I am dry suit certified, but don't own one. I've been told that, especially in late August, wet suit diving is "not a problem", but wanted your opinion!

k4man:
I'll be heading that way in less than 2 weeks with 10 divers, and am looking forward to a nice few days of diving. Question...how many of the divers were diving WET?? I am dry suit certified, but don't own one. I've been told that, especially in late August, wet suit diving is "not a problem", but wanted your opinion!

Of the 12, there were 2 wetsuit divers that I recall. In terms of "not a problem," I think that all depends upon the person. The guys that were diving wet didn't seem to be complaining any. If you have experience diving wet in the mid to upper 40s, I'd think you'd be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom