Geezer Gas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think within the 28-32% ranges it's more the advantage of increased bottom time rather than limiting post-dive fatigue. On week long liveaboards with multiple dives /day diving I frequently use Nitrox and run Nitrox settings on my dive computer. The increase in bottom time is significant at certain depths and well worth it. On the other hand, my brother uses Nitrox but likes to run on air table settings just for added safety and he frequently ends up putting his computer into a few extra minutes of deco diving similar profiles... which makes me wonder why he bothers with the extra precaution if he's going into deco most of the time :wink:

As to how I feel after several dives on Nitrox versus Air.... I can't really tell the difference but as was noted in the Alert Diver article referenced earlier - the placebo affect is a powerful thing and if it makes you "feel better" then that's a good enough reason to use it.

The real advantage that I have found is that you can go back in the water much sooner for your 2nd dive. This works if your dives are in the 60-70 range, you have reasonable air consumption, the boat doesn't restrict your bottom time and is more important on the morning dives.

I'm just past the big 5-0. On air, I have a pretty neat correlation between air time and NDL time, so nitrox won't extend my bottom time significantly. OTOH, with just two fairly deep dives in one day, close to the NDL, I'm usually totally spent come evening. I believe that's because of the nitrogen saturation and sub-clinical bubbles. Since nitrox reduces saturation levels given the same bottom time. I just took my nitrox cert to be able to stay awake after 7pm if I'm diving more than one tank per day.

I only recently nitrox certified, though, so I haven't any data. Yet.

During my last trip, I just used Nitrox for the two morning dives, and switched to air (tire gas) for the afternoon and evening. With the deeper morning dives, I didn't have to worry as much about NDL or surface interval. For the shallower dives in the afternoon, NDL wasn't an issue anyway, so no need to pay extra for Nitrox. Margaritas were the medicine of choice at the end of the day, and I always went to bed feeling just fine. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Margaritas were the medicine of choice at the end of the day, and I always went to bed feeling just fine. :)

IME, beer is an excellent agent for aiding in surface decompression :)

I started using Nitrox for the longer bottom times, personally I feel better after a 3 or 4 dive day on nitrox than I do on air.

Tell me it is the placebo effect or all in my head and I don't care .. in my head is where it needs to be.

I get post dive headaches when I dive air after multiple drops. I don't get those headaches when I dive nitrox. Will I live either way- yes. Do I want to avoid headaches - yes.

For me it's mostly about getting more dive time, so I like the Nitrox. But I would consider headaches post dive fatigue. So science dropped the ball on this one.

Nitrox used in proper context can be a good "geezer gas," and good for everyone. I find I get less fatigued on Nitrox than on air ( I am 62). But then, I found that to be the case 15 years ago as well. Nitrox is not "magic" gas, however. It will not reduce your rate of consumption, though it will extend ndl times. Pay attention in class to the depth LIMITS nitrox places on you, and also the SATURATION aspects of prolonged use. The enjoy our geezer gas.
DivemasterDennis

…So why should something some people will never ever use be a compulsory part of a course?

IMHO, because it fills-in important aspects of diving physics and physiology that is missing and/or brushed over in the basic OW course. Diving Nitrox isn’t the point, understanding how gases are affected by pressure and in your body is. It is also very useful in understanding when using Nitrox would be to their advantage.

I get post dive headaches when I dive air after multiple drops. I don't get those headaches when I dive nitrox. Will I live either way- yes. Do I want to avoid headaches - yes.

For me it's mostly about getting more dive time, so I like the Nitrox. But I would consider headaches post dive fatigue. So science dropped the ball on this one.
Headaches after diving are caused by skip breathing or taking short breaths underwater. Try breathing slowly and slow your ascent and the headaches will disappear, even on air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom