Ginnie Trip: This Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjens:
Thanks everyone, I had a blast, definately worth the drive. The diving, food, company, buddies were all great. Only one minor problem.... I left my boots. Please PM me if you grabbed a "lost/forgotten" pair of dive boots from the food pavillion Saturday night. I'm sure we can work out a suitable ransom. If not, well that's what LeisurePro is there for.

Rob Jensen

rjens, I rescued your boots about 2 AM Sunday morning when leaving from our night dive. I was afraid they wouldn't be there in the morning. (I also thought I knew who owned them and was supposed to dive with him the next morning. Wrong.) After asking around to find their owner, I left them with DSW and Virus deciding who would take custody of them and post their randsom. Hahaha. Gibbon may be correct in that Ken has them. I know they were discussing what type of description was necessary for the owner to reclaim them. Hahahaha.

Great time everybody. Gotta run for now. I'll post more shortly. :D R

Tao of the Dive:
We had a blast as well, JUST got home and got settled... What a long two days. To all who I got a chance to meet, it was a pleasure, to all those I didn't, perhaps next time. And to those I got to dive with, it was an absolute blast! Wish I could say I took alot of pictures of scubaboarders....but oddly enough all I have are pictures of rock, catfish, and turtles????(whats up with that?!?!)

But a good tiem was had by all, eh.

You mean you missed taking a picture of the rabid Columbian otter that was in hot pursuit of all the neoprene cowboys?!

First, I'd like to say, thanks to everyone who helped out during this event, which is ALL A YA!!!! It was incredible to see how everyone and everything pulled together, despite setbacks.
Thank you to Gibbon for all the carrying of gear, packing and unpacking,... dude if ever there was help needed, you were there! Our saying as Gibbon knows is, a friend will help you move, a REAL friend will help you move the bodies,... which explains the quick co-operation that was had by everyone in my path of fury this weekend. GrillGod Commandment #386: Thou shalt not steal innertubes from our children!!!!! Thou cannot escapeth my wrath by paddling faster!!!
To my incredible wife Holly who let me sleep in the bed, not on the couch for driving her crazy with all the planning and screaming at people... (and correcting my political errors) Thank you! :)
To Krista and Jenny for kicking me into the spring and all those they roped into repacking the megadive meals on wheels to return to the campsite!
Thank you immensely!
The cool things were... meeting new friends, seeing old friends again, and the ballroom. I also did my first river drift dive this weekend. OH LOOK SUNGLASSES... as suddenly the feeding frenzy ensues like sharks on a bloodmeal. HEY SCUBAFOOL! You cut me off, HA HA HA CBULLA SNAGGED YER SHADES!!!!! To the jokes and fun had by all, and entanglements in the floatline, as well as finding out how a bass feels when pulled from the water, (Tao was fishing for divers), it was a great event. Jarred and I were the first people there and the last people out!
Now we get to comments on the pictures... Notice my shirt... petsmart, give a buck, change their luck, (or was it... buy by the pound?) WHAT? You think that was CHICKEN you were eating?! Welcome to the BBQ Mr. Anderson!
As for the gator and the columbian river otters... the gator was actually a mule used to move illegal fish across the river from Little River and back to Twin Springs. It was made to LOOK like a gator!
Now on a more serious note... We sadly regret to inform you of the tragic and untimely demise of a pair of reef boots that were taken hostage during the weekend. There was a drive by at the campsite and the boots were out in the open when the Ginnie Springs Rabid Columbian River Otter Freedoms and Liberation Brigade opened fire with their Gat-9's. The boots were fataly injured and spent the night in a critical intensive care unit before passing quietly into the realm of neoprene recycling services. Their remains will be repatriated to their home country as soon as the customs officials provide the necessary documentation to clear the bodies through local channels. We sadly report this information and must remind you of the dangerous nature of these vicious criminals. Perhaps it is fate that today is Monday. Not a Monday for one county, but for a whole state, and all of humanity! We will not be distracted from our goal. We will not go without a fight! We will not go quietly into the night! We will live on! Today we celebrate our Rabid Columbian River Otter Independence Day! :dazzler1:

Well, we left a little later Friday than planned. Unfortunately work comes first. :rolleyes: We arrive at the hotel late needless to say. Saturday morning we headed to EE. Needed to get fills, pick up the twins -- I was so excited - what 'til you see them, and SeaJay needed new spring straps. We arrived at Ginnie at almost 2 PM. It was great seeing everyone, those we already had meet before and many we had not met. Of course we got the initial riving for being last. Hahahaha. We arrived, said a few hellos and there was a group gearing up to do a drift dive from Little Devil all the way around and of course we geared right up. I will say that my rushing for this trip began on Thursday and besides the feeling of not being in control or organized enough the trip went well considering. But, this was a crazy trip for me. First issue, I left my boots and gloves at the dive shop when sorting through my gear so I had to purchase a new set of boots. That wasn’t so bad as I needed new boots anyway. I just thought I was going to miss the first dive. I sent the group on to Little Devil without me and raced to the shop to grab a set of boots. All my other gear was setup and I was dressed. I came back and grabbed my gear, tossed it in the trunk and managed to get to Little Devil just before everyone got in the water. Shuuhh… I was really lucky and so very glad to make it. There were two groups of divers total I think 11 in all. The group I was with – SeaJay, 8Buck, Unruly wench (I think – sorry), and Virus. BTW, thanks to Virus for tugging the dive float. We started the dive with several swimmers and rafters overhead. It was nice to get to the deeper areas where we didn’t have to worry about being clobbered by those having fun above. The viz was remarkable considering all the people in the water. Once we passed over into the river section the water became dark and the bottom was brown and green. Not really thinking, I began my usual clean up as I went along and quickly realized I didn’t have enough hands to clean up the stuff down there. We saw several turtles and quit a few little flounder along with the typical fish. I was surprised to see a very light colored catfish. Not an albino, just a light one. Usually they are dark in coloration and this one was almost transparent. I hit it with my light and it looked slightly iridescent. It just hung out near and old log as if they were having a conversation about all the large black sea creatures with one big eye in the water that day. Most of the turtles we saw were large but there was one tiny little guy near the end of the dive who was adorable. Only approximately three inches from the tip of his out stretched nose to the tip of his stiff little tail. His little legs were kicking so fast in order to keep out of our way. I found a pair of goggles, two baseball hats, a bandana, two shirts, two masks - one with a snorkel attached that someone later brought to the pavilion, and a fin. BUT the best most valuable find was my very own depth gauge. At one point we were all together and then suddenly two from our group were not with us. SeaJay and I stopped to wait. We had met up with the second group and sent them ahead. After a couple minutes, we decided to surface and found that one in our group was having leg cramps and needed to end the dive sooner so she and her buddy were headed to the main ballroom. SeaJay, Virus and I told them we would stay with them in case they needed assistance. We took a bearing and descended to the bottom to swim over to them. On the way I was exploring the bottom which really helped me later. When we reach the other two, we surfaced. I immediately told 8Buck “I just lost my wrist gauge.” How frustrating. Four of us began searching the bottom for the gauge. Luckily a very short time later I was able to dive a reverse pattern and back track my path. I found my gauge and was so excited. I surfaced waving it back and forth hollering, “I found it.” I dove down to the bottom again to rejoin my group. I was so happy. As we swam closer to the main ballroom the water began to get so much clearer. Not at all like the greenish brown muck my gauge was lost in. The bottom became covered the in white sand and the number of people in on the surface began to increase. We reached the ballroom to find a slew of divers, snorkelers, and swimmers. I exited the water having had a great dive and feeling good about finding my wrist gauge. Oh Happy Day! Hahaha

SeaJay got to play Santa Clause and I was his helper as we pulled out a bag full of dive gear and let anyone who wanted it to help themselves. It came at a good time as Ken had a blowout and needed new boots. Hahaha Isn’t it funny how things work out?

I was bummed that we missed the large group night dive but Floyds was callin’ and he was busy. It took a little while. After dinner Genesis, OBG, Tracy, Kimberly, Sarah, Cody, SeaJay and I returned to Ginnie to find most everyone heading in for the night. He promptly geared up and headed in for a night dive. Mental note: Cody has grown and needs a larger wetsuit and booties.

We enjoyed meeting more people. Genesis, Tracy, Kimberly, Sarah, Onebrightgater, 8Buck, Smokeaire, Madeline, H2Andy, Scuba Fool, WildBill – pleasure meeting your family, CBulla I think that you and DSW laughed more than anyone the entire time, Holly you must be a very patient woman, KBulla getting daddy and Xavier to smile and hold still for a moment to take a picture, Simon, Tao of Savannah :D, Gibbon, Lisa, and KBeck such pretty ladies, Oh my gosh I know I am leaving people out. As always it was a pleasure meeting new faces and reuniting with old friends. Then we add diving and make it even better. Thanks to my dive buddy for lots of fun and for not getting us lost on the way home. YOU ROCK! Heehee Big hugs. And, to my dearest son, what a good boy -- A mother couldn’t ask for a better kid. I am glad you meet and made new friends and enjoyed yourself.

Sunday morning we returned to Ginnie only to be saddened that we couldn’t dive with 8Buck as planned – next OK? But Virus was ready to go for a short dive before heading home. When looking for the owner of the lost boots and saying BYE we were joined by Dutchfin. He bounded into the campsite asking if we were with Scuba Board. Everyone said, “Yes!” with a smile and he introduced himself and said he was looking to dive. We immediately told him to join us and he did. The four of us headed into the main ball room for some close exploration of the cavern and had a great dive. Toward the end of the dive we were observing lots of scuba standers at the entrance. Hahaha

What an awesome pleasure to dive with some excellent divers. People we chat with here on the board and occasionally get the pleasure to meet in person. Thanks everyone. I look forward to seeing you all again.

And Dutchfin, you really are welcome to look us up on your way up north. We can get in the ocean and have lots of fun. I’ll dive with you any day if the opportunity allows. I feel like I should be thanking you for allowing us to dive with you. :D

PS: SJ got to demonstrate the over-the-head flip for all those who wanted to see. Hahaha

BTW, If I left your name off, it was no less of a pleasure meeting you and I am sorry. R

This weekend was awesome, probably the best diving experience and one of the best social events in quite some time IMO. Over the weekend I apologise to those affected for hounding all to get wet and constantly whining about being out of the water but I have two words for you – DIVE PARTY! I would have been underwater the whole weekend if I could have. :wink:

Got to the site on friday about 10.30am, set up, chatted with DSW and Gibbon for a while, but they weren’t diving that day. Finally at 3.30 8Buck gets finished and off we head to do some diving!!! That was a good day, and by the time we had done two dives (and able to report pretty good river viz to the others for later drift dives) more people had started arriving and after dark a night dive commenced. That first night was peaceful until DSW returned at 3-4am and started moving the firewood around (sounding like a 60’s hippy woodblock band in the process) and messing with the coolers – he even commented in the morning how much noise it all made. Early rise on saturday and still jonesing to dive as early as possible (7am), finally dragged people down at 10am. We had several good dives in the ballroom, devils (penetration of the eye as well), a river drift (man that drift was long!), more ballroom action with Gibbon as my dance partner and another night dive. Then a quiet evening – where did everyone go that night???? Sunday was a little more somber, everyone pretty much left by noon to 2pm, not much diving going on apart from DSW and Gibbon after their weekend of tireless work! I decided to go kayaking upstream of Ginnie – the Santa Fe is turtle city up there, if you thought you saw a few on the river drifts, there were hundreds up there – due to the lack of drunk college frat boys tubing I suspect.

Even with the lack of getting wet at the dive party, it was a great success and I will sign up assuming free time for a BBQ again this fall when and if it gets arranged.

BTW, scuba-bunny is a new nickname I picked up (from Scubafool) due to my constant jonesing to dive and being ready in a moments notice, and going and going and going for the dives just like the Energizer bunny! :multi:

Thanks again all for a great time and DSW for organizing it. I really enjoyed meeting those who i had seen on the board and "talked" to before - great to put faces there. I couldnt think of a better way to spend a weekend.

Also it was great to see H2Andy wrapping himself up in his long hose, having his 1st stage port troubles and just generally getting picked on - i felt the dirt in the reg was probably mean after all that! :11:

Certain people who shall remain nameless, but are from southern FL, seemed to adapt really well to the freshwater - even though they never stopped complaining about the temperature! :wink:

I also enjoyed the light-hearted DUH (Diving Under Hinderance) items that came up over the weekend - many priceless jokes there! I am awaiting the unveiling of many comic photos from this trip - so get your films in for processing and scanning!

DSW is insane (like we hadnt guessed yet), Gibbon can climb trees and others just had a bad taste in music - including the redneck joking with Scubafool and family.

BTW, thinking i can be free to get down to Hollywood or wherever next weekend, Jenny, PM on way!

I too had a great time and it's always fun to associate a little reality with on-line persona's. I'll be posting some pics tonight (including the instructional DSW cooking photos for all you strokes out there....)

Weather couldn't have been better, nor the company. Hopefully we can do this again.

simbrooks:
Certain people who shall remain nameless, but are from southern FL, seemed to adapt really well to the freshwater - even though they never stopped complaining about the temperature! :wink:

This by no means could have been myself or Tao - we shunned the neoprene cowboy look for the retro look of swimsuit!

I meant the other south, eastern not western! I still cant be sure how you did do that - i used to in the UK waters which are in the 50's just swimming, but not for more than 15 mins - i think i have become a FL wuss having to stay in my wetsuit for diving - although only a 3mm whereas most were in 5+!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom